G200 3CYL Charade Efi conversion and Delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Mr_Flwlss
cars: 99 C34 Nissan Stagea RS4
94 G200 Daihatsu Charade (3cyl)

G200 3CYL Charade Efi conversion and Delco

Post by Mr_Flwlss »

Hi Guys Im new to the delco ecu, i was interested in just doing a tbi setup on my charade to replace the carby.
i pretty much have an idea of how i was going to do it but if anyone has any ideas they would like to share that would be great :D

Ok so you know what it is from the title, i have in mind the tbi injection setup, ECU, sensors, and so fourth from a 94 SB Barina

The Charade had the standard ignition replaced by a MSD CDI, and i have a Locked distributor to be fitted for efi, i was going to use an aftermarket stand alone ecu,
but i tought it might be worth seing what i can do with a factory delco computer.

can these ecu's run a 3cyl? be real time tuned? and how do i go about setting it up?

I have nutted out the wiring already, i also need to know how put it into base timing mode so i can set the crank trigger in the right spot, if anyone can shed some light on this that would be great

Cheers :D
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Re: G200 3CYL Charade Efi conversion and Delco

Post by VK_3800 »

I was looking for info the other day to see if it was possible to run a GM V8 TBI setup with the '808, since they were used for a TBI setup in the JD Camira/N13 Pulsar/LD Astra. It turns out this isn't possible (to do properly) because the V8 TBI requires two injector drivers (one for each injector) where the '808 only has one (to do the V8 version I'd need one of the US ECUs which has two drivers).

However, it seems that it is entirely possible to run a single low impedance peak and hold TBI injector as with the factory setups for the above vehicles. This is achieved by removing the earth from pin D10 on the ECU and linking it to pin D9 instead, which has something to do with the injector sense and puts the ECU in peak and hold mode. It can handle a single 1.2ohm low impedance TBI injector, and it seems like the best way would be to start with a Camira/Pulsar $5D based tune which would allow calibration changes to be made easily enough using the $5D ADX available on this site. You'd also need a TBI memcal or just make changes to the resistor pack to put it in 2cyl/TBI mode:
https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... tres#p6850

This wouldn't give you a lot of fancy features like the awesome $12P code, but it would give full tuning control with very cheap parts. However realtime tuning would require an emulator such as those available from Moates.net. I found a TBI Pulsar engine wiring diagram which gives more ECU connection info in my research too somewhere, will dig it up if you want.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

At the moment there is no 3cyl support in any holden based bin. TBI mode will be fine but the RPM calc will never be correct, if you set it to 6 cyl at least it will be an easy conversion (TP can be changed to display the correct RPM).

VK_3800 - I had a play around with the peak and hold function but couldnt get it to work :thumbdown: Was not 100% sure if it was just my bench supply not being able to supply enough current so was going to try again with a battery... https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... 860#p11860 but never got around to it. Have you had it running in peak and hold mode? I was wondering if there was any control code required to tell the FMD chip what mode to operate in.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

No sorry I haven't had anything running just spent some time researching the idea, came across a big block TBI setup which I think would work well enough as a stealth install on a warm 308 if controlled correctly (the injector pod will bolt straight on to an early Holley Projection throttle body I have which also uses GM sensors and has a standard square bore base instead of the silly three bolt one GM used). I may yet resurrect the idea if I could get hold of a suitable ECU cheap, but I don't hold out much hope of that as freight from the US would kill it and there's not much around here.

I gave up on the 808 when I confirmed that there was only one injector driver (same for 082/305) - twin 80 or 90lb injectors (OE 454) are going to be a bit big to run the engine nicely without the ability to alternate them. Information is pretty scarce but I found enough confirmation that the injectors used in the single TBI setup on Camira etc are the same design (1.2ohm peak and hold) as those used on the US V6 and V8 TBI setup (in fact I believe they are the exact same 40lb unit used on the V6, which uses two). Here is the wiring diagram I found (can't remember where now sorry):

This shows a link between D8 and D9 rather than D9 and D10 which is interesting. This is the only useful wiring diag I found, I did see the D9/D10 link mentioned a few times from different sources though.

This came off an old mailing list from 1998:
> I recently discovered that the "808" seems to have the ability
>to drive a couple of low impedence injectors in peek and hold mode.
>There is provision already on the PCB to use the existing saturation
>injector driver in peek and hold mode by,
>
> 1) Disconnecting the wire D10 at the ECU. This is the
>injector driver's ground circuit (source) which goes to engine ground.
>
> 2) Put jumper wire between D9 and D10 on ECU, this will put a
>0.1 ohm resistor which is already on the PCB in series with the injector
>drivers source and ground. This 0.1 ohm resistor is used to sense
>current for Peek & hold.

I have a few spare 808's lying around and one of them is a but suspect so
I've stripped out the heatsinks, etc to get a closer look at the driver
chips and so on. In the 808, pins D15 and D16 are the injector signal
outputs and they are jumpered at the PCB. Doing a bit of simple tracing I
found that D15/16 are connected to a 3 pin TO220 (?) style component
labelled:

M9707
R208

One of the other 'legs' of this component is connected to PCB earth (and
thereby, pin D10), while the remaining 'leg' can be traced (via a 1.2K
resistor) to a large, square flat IC with multiple pins on each side (PLC
style ??) which is labelled:

Korea
519K 9211
2064 16079435
F21

I'm assuming that the first component (3-leg) is the power switching MOSFET
(?), while the second is the driver, amongst other things. This appears
to square with Bruce's indication that the 808 only has one driver circuit

Checking Pin D9 I found that it appears to be directly connected to the
earth 'leg' of a 5 pin component (again TO220 ??) right next to the 3-leg
mentioned above. This component is labelled:

[Motorolla trade mark]
QQQ207

It could well be that there is a 0.1 Ohm resistor in the line here as
Richard suggests, but I do not trust my DVM at this level.
Mr_Flwlss
cars: 99 C34 Nissan Stagea RS4
94 G200 Daihatsu Charade (3cyl)

Post by Mr_Flwlss »

Ok guys so I bench tested it, put the dizzy in the drill press, and set it to 320 rpm (2:1 is crank vs cam 320x2= idle speed of 640rpm)
Hooked the map sensor up to a mighty vac, and put a 3 cylinder tacho on the tacho output, also hooked up a fuel adjuster (similar to an apexi safc - basic fuel interceptor)
Started it up on the bench and started up the drill press, found the tacho read 640 rpm and the injector pulsing as it should, and monitored safc, as I fidled with the tps and the vacuum it seemed to be operating quite fine, I think the only thing I'm gonna have an issue with is setting the idle will keep you all posted when I do the trial of it on the weekend :D

Also this ecu that I have does not have a Memcal so I dont know how I would go about modifying it :think:
Rapture
cars: Daihatsu Charade Turbo

Post by Rapture »

How'd this go? (holy thread revival batman)

I have a G11 turbo that i'd like to convert to fuel injection via suzuki barina TBI and possibly a delco computer.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Quite a thread dig here, but looking at this recently, I have found in the Pulsar N13 manual it shows that you loop D9 and D10, and dont use D15 on the on the 808 for the single low impedance injector.

Here are the two configurations and you can see the difference.
Attachments
1800 mpi 1600 tbi wiring.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396