202 FE Holden/Delco Conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: 202 FE Holden/Delco Conversion

Post by festy »

Try RC801?
That's an ACA part number, but they should be able to find it.
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Why dont you use the trigger/pulse generator thats already in the vk dizzy.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

honestly if repco can't find that part number in a bosch catalogue i wouldn't be going back there.

its not the ignition module that is the other part number, BCS 803 is the pulse generator, which is a round plastic donut with a coil of copper around it, and then there is two wires coming out of it (white and green) and they go to the plug which then plugs into the ignition module

ok now have a look at this http://www.injec.com/techdata/ignition_modules.pdf

page 30 has a picture of BIM 148 = ignition module
page 18 lists BCS 803 under astra and camira for pulse generators ..... however there is no picture for it.

the best i could find is this .... disregard the metal star wheel around the outside of it

bosch lists it as pulse generator, but google seems to get results like above when you search for pickup coil.

either way anyone like repco or supercheap should be able to find it in bosch catalogues !!!! then again im not surprised if they can't these days cause most of the people there don't give a fuck if its not on the shelf!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I got my stuff from here a couple of months ago, both are Bosch & received in a few days.http://www.tradeparts.com.au/
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
FEBlue202
cars: FE Holden with 202

Post by FEBlue202 »

Progress Report:
Been getting car ready for a while, and I now have
1. VR-VS 789 BCM and loom
2. VR Manual ECM and loom
3. VK Distributor has been converted (keeping original pulse generator) with Bosch BIM148 installed - using Standard VK Coil
4. V6 Injectors, VN V8 Throttlebody, and all V6 engine sensors
5. New Fuel Tank, with VN internal swirlpot, pump & fuel guage, new external pump & lines.
Engine fired up first go, and is running reasonably well on factory V6 settings.
We now have to complete the rest of the wiring, fitup rest of car and get rego.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

good work mate! sounds like most of the hard stuff is sorted.
FEBlue202

Post by FEBlue202 »

Couple of new problems have come up.
We have not got the car out of the garage, but in running it (up to temp) to test wiring of thermo fans, AC, and other switching, we have fouled up 2 sets of plugs, because motor is running too rich (standard ECM setup > 202 has XU1 like cam and low vacuum).
I have only found one tuning shop (Dicks/Alfords Point & he is shut/on holidays) to tune motor and it is frightfully expensive to get car there/back unregistered (& I was hoping to get full tune after settling in runs.
My Auto Electrician wants me to get the Memcal recalibrated NOW!
My question are:
1. Can my current/standard VR Manual ECM Memcal (16205088 BLCD) be reprogrammed (Holden 202 has posted setups for his engines that would appear to be very similiar to mine.
2. Can the recalibration of the Memcal be done remotely (ie I post Memcal to tuner, have it recalibrated, and sent back) so the engine is tuned close enough for getting rego and settling in done.
3. Can anyone give me name/contact details of a Delco engine tuner who provides a mobile service, and could plug into my car and download one of 'Holden 202' configurations.
4. My Auto Electrician has a Tech2 and is interested in learning! What does he need to get/buy to tune Delco Memcals.
I have a spare VR Auto ECM & Memcal, and can get this or the in car Memcal to anyone interested in a couple of days.
:?:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

FEBlue202 wrote:1. Can my current/standard VR Manual ECM Memcal (16205088 BLCD) be reprogrammed (Holden 202 has posted setups for his engines that would appear to be very similiar to mine.
Yep, all the commodore memcals have an EPROM so can be erased and reprogrammed. Being a VR manual memcal is its 32k in size so holden202s 12P tune could be used. Are you running a BCM to get around the antitheft system on the current standard memcal? I think another issue is you timing will be all wrong using a standard V6 memcal, the VK dizzy conversion using a camira module needs a spark reference angle (the angle the ECU uses for all its spark calculations) of 10deg while the V6 has 70deg.
FEBlue202 wrote:2. Can the recalibration of the Memcal be done remotely (ie I post Memcal to tuner, have it recalibrated, and sent back) so the engine is tuned close enough for getting rego and settling in done.
Yes, but will likely be very slow with back and forth a few times and only get a average tune. Getting things like idle and cold start sorted will be very hard on a modified engine.
FEBlue202 wrote:3. Can anyone give me name/contact details of a Delco engine tuner who provides a mobile service, and could plug into my car and download one of 'Holden 202' configurations.
I dont know of any mobile delco tuners, hard enough to find ones with a workshop :lol: This could be done via post though, am able to reprogram your spare memcal with it - but will only be a rough tune unless your engine specs are very similar to holden202.
FEBlue202 wrote:4. My Auto Electrician has a Tech2 and is interested in learning! What does he need to get/buy to tune Delco Memcals.
Can use an NVRAM and comms setup for RT tuning and then burn the final tune to a memcal.
NVRAM - https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=167
Comms - USB https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164 or RS232 https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=396
So those two items plus an EPROM programmer and UV eraser and your pretty well setup
FEBlue202 wrote:I have a spare VR Auto ECM & Memcal, and can get this or the in car Memcal to anyone interested in a couple of days. :?:
The auto PCM wont be much good but the memcal can be programmed with a manual bin (or holden202s 12P) for your manual ECU
FEBlue202

Post by FEBlue202 »

Thanks for the super fast reply VL400

I would like to take you up on the remote Memcal Tuning Option, and will put together my current engine mechanical spec as a comparison with 'Holden 202' previously posted details.
With respect to:

Yep, all the commodore memcals have an EPROM so can be erased and reprogrammed. Being a VR manual memcal is its 32k in size so holden202s 12P tune could be used. Are you running a BCM to get around the antitheft system on the current standard memcal? I think another issue is you timing will be all wrong using a standard V6 memcal, the VK dizzy conversion using a camira module needs a spark reference angle (the angle the ECU uses for all its spark calculations) of 10deg while the V6 has 70deg.
We have VR manual memcal and matched BCM (with key fob required to allow engine to start).
We don't know what the spark reference angle is!!!, but the VK dizzy with camira module, starts quickly, idles reasonably well, and steps back as the engine warms up, We have all sensors fitted, including knock sensor. Engine appears to self corrrecting/setting timing.

I dont know of any mobile delco tuners, hard enough to find ones with a workshop :lol: This could be done via post though, am able to reprogram your spare memcal with it - but will only be a rough tune unless your engine specs are very similar to holden202.
At this stage I need a rough tune to stop wrecking plugs/motor while we stuff around with moving car for 'Engineering' & Rego road tests, + short drives to bed everything in. This will take a few weeks, and by then Dick should be back, and I can drive the car down to his shop for a proper tune.
Considering the motor is running now on std V6 tune, and my 202 engine is similiar to 'Holden202' I would expect the memcal work you do will be close to final spec.
If you want to give me a call to discuss my number is 0411 237 149 or reply by email to geoff@ndm.com.au
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Just to clarify, I am not offering a tune. I can burn holden202s bin from his 202 to your VR auto memcal and thats it - there might be others that are happy to try and get it running better via post if you did want to try that. I feel its too hit and miss on modded engines. If your engine specs are similar to holden202s it should get it running far better than it is now with the wrong ref angle. But def take it somewhere to get a proper tune as soon as you can!