Another 202 delco conversion thread....

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
v6bucket

Re: Another 202 delco conversion thread....

Post by v6bucket »

Bomber, Is this a similar setup that oldjohno is working on?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Bomber Watson
cars: 73 LJ Torana
90 80 series Landcruiser
99 Honda Fireblade
05 Harley softail
79 Flightcraft phantom ski boat

And thats just the registered ones....

Post by Bomber Watson »

Yes mate. Mines an almost carbon copy of his, with a few new ideas thrown in, then a bucket load of boost.

Cheers.
Bomber Watson
90 80 series Landcruiser
99 Honda Fireblade
05 Harley softail

Post by Bomber Watson »

Alrighty, back to 20 questions.

This one remains unanswered:
I have another stupid question before i go into a long winded rant answering Holden202. The crank trigger wheel on the thread Jayme linked, could i do something like that on the flexplate instead? So just drill holes at TDC then 60 deg apart then one 10 after tdc? Is there a specific distance it has to be from the crank centerline? what size would the holes need to be? The diagram specifies 1/8" wide and 1/4" deep slots approximately, so would 1/4" holes work? The diagram also specifies these are 2" from the crankshaft centerline, but i will need them more like 5" from the centerline for this to work. Only real difference i can see this will make is the velocity the holes move past the center will be faster and the exposure time will be shorter, so perhaps the holes would need to be bigger??
Also, i read a few times that an abs wheel sencor would work as a pickup? Can i flog one from my VS??

No one has replied yet as to whether or not i can use the VS crank angle pickup, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but every time i try scanning this forum my brain turns to mush with all the info....

What else i've worked out, i want a Delco 808, does it matter what this comes from??

And i see an ignition module type thing mentioned a lot, which one should i get to run three coil packs?? or is this covered with the 808??

Would the VS one work? And where would i find this/what would it look like??

And i think the last question, for now, will this system have enough power to actually throw a spark in this big bitch??

Cheers.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Anything that rotates at crank speed can be used for the trigger wheel, I used my harmonic balancer but understand your reservations.
For the ignition module you want a D1928A, ebay US will be your best bet.
The commodore coilpacks fit this ignition module, but the harness plugs don't so you'll have to source those (or solder wires to the module's pins and fit a common plug like I did)
The coils pack quite a punch, they seem to work well in boosted applications pretty well.
Yes, an 808 is what you're after - so a JE Camira, N13 Pulsar, LD astra, VN-VP commodore are all the same, just the memcal is different. You'll need a memcal from a 6cyl application (easy enough) but you're best bet is to get one of vl400's realtime kits and them you don't need a memcal at all.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

And i forgot your other questions -
'tooth' width is meant to be around 5* from memory, but it's pretty forgiving.
ABS sensors work well as CAS.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Bomber Watson wrote: No one has replied yet as to whether or not i can use the VS crank angle pickup, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but every time i try scanning this forum my brain turns to mush with all the info....
Seeing as your fabricating heaps anyway, it is possible to use the VS crank trigger and ign module. The trigger is not as simple as the D1928A requires but you have everything needed in the VS .. https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopi ... t=10#p2103
Bomber Watson
90 80 series Landcruiser
99 Honda Fireblade
05 Harley softail

Post by Bomber Watson »

Righto, that makes more sence now.

I take it to use the VS pickup i need both sets of holes? Think i'll just pinch a ABS sensor.

All the rest of it is no longer as clear as mud, its now as clear as mud mixed 50/50 with water lol.

Getting my head around it, cheers heaps for the help/nursing. i'll leave you lot alone for a little while now whilst i ponder this.

Cheers.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

With the vs setup you would look at mounting the whole wheel with the notches and the sensor from the VS to this engine, and you would also use the vs ignition module and coils. Or you can fabricate the same trigger pattern your own way, but I think you would need a hall effect sensor, not a reluctor like an abs sensor is.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ekdave1962
cars: EK holden running vn v6

Post by ekdave1962 »

i hope you have done some serious bottom end work ? cause i dont thing the old holden bottom end will handle the 30 psi for long ..
but a fantastic looking set up
Bomber Watson
90 80 series Landcruiser
99 Honda Fireblade
05 Harley softail

Post by Bomber Watson »

Antus, that makes me more confused, other guys have said i can use the abs sencor but you say i cant??

ekdave, you would be surprised mate hehe.

I've had 15psi on a totally stock .060" over blue motor with a stock head gasket with no issues...Its all in the tuning mate.

Cheers.