Converting 202 to ABS Crank Trigger

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BARBS
cars: LJ Torana
Injected, Turbo, NO2, 186

Re: Converting 202 to ABS Crank Trigger

Post by BARBS »

Nice work mate. I really like what you have done. U Don't mind if I use this thread as a resource for my build do you? If so VL400 do you have a link to where I can purchase a controller? Or PM me. Wasted spark would definately be easier. And a lot cleaner in the bay.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

BARBS wrote:U Don't mind if I use this thread as a resource for my build do you?
that's why this info is all on the forums :)
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I haven't read all this thread so maybe I might be out of place but did you think of using a VK EST belhousing and flywheel instead of the harmonic balancer?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I did, and as a basic pickup to remove the dizzy it would have probably worked fine, but it also meant a few things I didn't want:

1. having to get another bellhousing with the hole in it
2. that bell housing doesn't have the strengthening ribs on it that the VK EFI trimatic bellhousing has which I wanted to keep due to what im using it for!
3. VL400 hadn't had any testing with missing tooth trigger wheels so was a good opportunity to add another pickup option to the module!
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Fair enough I didn't know if the VK auto came with EST because I have only worked with manual ones. and what a disaster they were. Almost all suffered severe detonation because of what I put down to a bad ignition map. Never did find out if the detonation caused any problems apart from spark plug erosion. Converted a few back to Bosch HEI using the earlier VH or VK EFI distributor and made happy customers.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

And 4. The EST flywheel provided only three triggers per rev, so the dizzy would stay for spark distribution. For a multi-coil DIS there needs to be a way to determine TDC of 1 or 2 cylinders. The missing tooth trigger was enough for wasted spark.

Sent you a PM BARBS.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

oh sorry, I didn't mean only manuals had it, I believe autos did too, but the VK Carby (EST) auto bellhousing was just the usual small one, but the VK EFI auto had the strengthening ribs on it and thicker bosses around the bolt holes to attach it to the block.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Point 4 taken. I now realise it can only ID piston TDC not No1. I didn't know about the different bellhousings but nothing surprises me with manufacturers. I remember the VN had a different block with manual and auto engines. One asks why.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

They had different cranks as well in VN series one, I remember seing adaptors at castlemaine rod shop years ago
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Charlescrown wrote:Point 4 taken. I now realise it can only ID piston TDC not No1. I didn't know about the different bellhousings but nothing surprises me with manufacturers. I remember the VN had a different block with manual and auto engines. One asks why.
The VN s1 block had a different rear oil seal, both the seal type and manual crank flange were carried over from the earlier V6 model in the US as far as I'm aware but certainly not unique.