Delco Gemini, head scratching ahoy

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Javi
cars: '82 TF Gemini drift car
'76 TX Gemini daily
'75 Gemini Coupe. 'One day'

Delco Gemini, head scratching ahoy

Post by Javi »

I've just put my EFI loom / manifold / '808 into my Gemini, but I'm having a bad time. I can't get the Check Engine Light to output any codes, I can't connect my laptop to my '808, and unsurprisingly it doesn't start. When I turn the key the fuel pump primes for a couple seconds, then stops, as I'm told it should, but when I turn the key off the blue light on the NVRAM goes out instantly. I've just gotten the NVRAM back from Antus, and haven't even set RW yet, so I don't think it's a corrupted NVRAM, but I'm all out of ideas.
I've been pouring over wiring diagrams and I can't figure out what I've done wrong. Please help!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I looked around and this seemed to be the most appropriate place.
Jayme

Re: Delco Gemini, head scratching ahoy

Post by Jayme »

when you say, you cant get the CEL to output any codes, do you mean it doesnt flash at all, or it just flashes 12?

have you hooked up the memory wires correctly? B1 and C16 I think... always need to be powered up. if you have these on ignition that could explain why the light shuts off instantly.
the fuel pump priming is a good sign, it means code is running, I dont think it is a corrupted memcal.
Javi
'76 TX Gemini daily

Post by Javi »

I mean it doesn't flash at all, it just stays a solid 'on'.
I just checked those wires and they're connected directly to the +ve terminal of my battery, through a fuse.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

have you jumpered the diagnostic port to get the engine light to flash ?
Javi
'76 TX Gemini daily

Post by Javi »

Holden202T wrote:have you jumpered the diagnostic port to get the engine light to flash ?
Yeah, I followed the instructions here. Is that right for an '808 or am I doing something horribly wrong? :silent:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

your on the right track, but the below picture will be more suited to the loom you have, just up from the ecm connection on the loom there is a plug which is the one you need .... you need to link pins A + B with a paper clip then turn the ignition on and it should give you codes through the engine light.
808 aldl plug.jpg
808 aldl plug.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 7889 times
Javi
'76 TX Gemini daily

Post by Javi »

Sorry, I should have mentioned earlier that I'm using a loom out of a multipoint N13 pulsar. This is what the connector looks like. I've connected 'A' and 'B' and not had any codes out of the CEL, so I'm really scratching my head here.
Also probably worth noting is that I've tried two different ECMs, and both have done the same thing, so I'm almost certain there's an issue with wiring somewhere, but I can't find it. :(
Attachments
20150124_205127[1].jpg
20150124_205127[1].jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 7888 times
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

On a '808 the fuel pump priming is hardware controlled so happens even with no memcal/nvram installed. If code is not running the elec cooling fan will be on and one led of the usb comms board will be lit solid.

When code is running the cel flickers once at key on before staying on. No code running it just turns on and stays on.

Also the led of the nvram turns off straight away with no code running but like Jayme said could also happen if ecu constant voltage is missing.

Have you got a standard memcal to try flashing codes out?
Javi
'76 TX Gemini daily

Post by Javi »

I just put in a standard memcal and got a 12 out of it, but with the NVRAM the CEL is solid both with BIN_SW set and not set. Dodgy NVRAM?
I just tried the constant power, and that appears to be connected properly.

EDIT: With a standard memcal I even have injection! Huzzah!
EDIT EDIT: Got it started using the 1.8L Pulsar memcal. Runs surprisingly well, buuut still no luck with the NVRAM
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep certainly sounds like an issue with the nvram, can try removing the map switch jumper might have a working tune on the other half of it!