How to convert a 202 to Delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Jayme

Re: How to convert a 202 to Delco

Post by Jayme »

you will need to use a v6 memcal, or your v8 memcal with a modified netres for 6cyl mode. a 6cyl memcal will fire the injectors once for every 3 spark events, a v8 memcal will fire them once every 4 spark events.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

and how are you reading the tune to burn.if just saving in tunerpro after an R/T session you will be missing parts of the bin and wont run properly will be running in limp home mode.you need to read the tune with ose flashtool or read the nvram and program the bin to eprom
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
RedWagonVC
cars: VC Commodore Wagon 202 Delco
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

Ok thanks guys.
I've got a couple of v6 memcals and an EPROM burner for myself coming soon and currently have the nvram ecu in the car running ok.
Delcowizzid - I'm not sure how he was downloading the tune but he's successfully done it for many cars before, so I'm assuming that part is ok and its the v8 cal causing the issues!

For my own interest though thanks for the tip (im just slowly learning the basics for interfacing/tuning delco now from the forum)
Dave
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

Also out of interest,
We'll be running an m90 charger on the 202 later this year. It's decomp'd with a mild s/c cam. Ignoring the fact that its impossible to predict the power output accurately - my expectation is for somewhere in the ballpark of 170rwkw through an auto on 6-8psi

Anyone care to comment on that? Am I in the ball park?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

your figures are definitely achievable, however im not sure if you'll get it with only 6-8psi.

I've seen turbo 202's making over 400hp at the wheels but that's a fairly decent motor build and 25psi boost!
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

The build is as follows:
60thou ACL dura lite hypertecnic pistons
ARP main and rod bolts
ARP head studs and copper 60thou decomp head gasket
OS valves (no idea on size), HD valve springs, 1.6 308 rockers
Clive cams blower profile (& aimed at midband power) cam
Fully balanced
Had crack testing etc on block and head too
Porting is factory, no work there.
Currently running std dizzy with std coil but the fabricated balancer for the blower belt will include a trigger wheel to run coil packs.
Extractors, 2.25" exhaust, intake will flow enough etc.

I figure since they don't really like to rev, I'll chase the torque in the midband say 3000-4500?

Its good fun with the old motors. Had an S/C 304 on 11psi before this in the car, but I like the idea of using an original 6
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

what is the head, red / blue / black ?

they do rev with the right head work and such, but for a streeter you want lower power band than higher anyways!
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

It's a standard blue head, no port work but bigger valves.
Maybe someday I'll get or create a better head down the track but for now I figure under boost its probably not too bad
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah definately larger exhaust valves help the blue heads, between my partners EH and my torana at the time there was about 20hp at wheels, i had stock size valve head with massive port work, hers was stock blue head with larger exhaust valves! but that wasn't boosted!
RedWagonVC
BMW 740iL E38

Post by RedWagonVC »

I've had the car on the dyno N/A. Through the trimatic we got 89rwkw.
Since it's decomp'd, I think that's pretty good. More timing and fuel changes gave us less power (burned mixture too early).

I'm interested though - what I'm after is:
Nice torque down low (but not too low, as I have a 1800stall converter)
Revs out nicely with target 160-170rwkw (more is ok, but not at the expense of driveability and down low torque)
Implementation neat and retain AC if possible
Reasonably efficien
Reliable

And while I have an m90 I'm open to other options. Turbo keeps coming up when I speak to people.Also vortec blower.
What
do you guys think? !