vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah my rule is, cost and hours at a realistic estimate, then multiply that by 3 :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Those ribs took forever to straighten out but there is actually stuff all filler in them. I knew they would be the first point of contact for anything slid in or out of the back so any filler would just get chewed out.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

What do you reckon happened here. These were checked before the Fast ignition box was installed and were fine. It was only two of the six spark plugs affected but I didn’t notice what cylinders they came from. One was probably from the same cylinder that the MLS gasket failed
Attachments
5FC41BAD-D25B-4740-8AB0-19D96C6DD0E7.jpeg
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Just realised I hadn’t mentioned the MLS gasket failure. This obviously happened before i took it to Whyalla hence why it was losing coolant. I took the head to the machine shop and got the gasket face cleaned up and they installed plugs in the coolant galleries. We decided to do this once we realised the MLS gasket had these blocked off anyway. It will give the chamber less of an excuse to relieve itself in the coolant holes. Amazing it ran so hard considering the leak.
Attachments
7FA58FC2-8113-42B3-811E-39EAB85D622C.jpeg
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Detonation, quite bad one too.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Detonation and very hot plugs 5s are so hot in an ngk I would probably run 7s if it has compression. we run 6s still but low compression and avgas. You are also running non resistor plugs you want bpr6efs or bpr7efs or TR6 it's a 6 heat range but non projected tip and acts a little cooler
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

Totally agree with Delco ...

Looks like 5 dark threads, that equates to about 2 heat ranges hot, that agrees with Delco, to 7's I would go ...

Can't stop detonation damage without stopping the detonation, however you can help the MLS hold up, ensure the surfaces are absolutely perfectly clean during assembly, any residual oil or other contaminate on the surfaces causes burn and failure.
That gasket shows signs of contaminates upon assembly.

I personally use Brake-Clean to clean the surfaces and a final wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol on a lint free.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks for the replies. I hadnt considered the plug heat range, these are just the same type of plugs I have previously in these engines
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Agree with everyone. Just a question. Was the detonation damage to the head gasket on the opposite side to the spark plug?