265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks for all the replies to my introduction thread. I have been going through a number of threads and already feel a lot more confident regarding this conversion. I have a parts list now thanks to the 202 thread and other replies and should be able to use the late CM ELB distributor. What I couldn't understand is how the Memcal picked up the position of the rotor but looking through an older 265 thread it was mentioned the Memcal doesn't care how many times it received the signal, just as long as it is set to the correct amount of cylinders, is this correct?

Also is this basically how the Camira setup works? This is a fuel only setup and the Camira BIM via the dissy sends a signal to the Memcal to batch fire the injectors at 10 degrees TDC.

Thanks.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by Charlescrown »

You can use your existing distributor, coil and leads. All the Valiants used inductive pickup types. If you follow the advice given and set the 12P program for six cylinders and use a six cylinder memcal it will work.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks, that helps a lot.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

heff0018 wrote:. What I couldn't understand is how the Memcal picked up the position of the rotor but looking through an older 265 thread it was mentioned the Memcal doesn't care how many times it received the signal, just as long as it is set to the correct amount of cylinders, is this correct?

Also is this basically how the Camira setup works? This is a fuel only setup and the Camira BIM via the dissy sends a signal to the Memcal to batch fire the injectors at 10 degrees TDC.

Thanks.
It doesn't care about the position of the rotor. It just counts the pulses. In 6 cyl mode it fires all injectors every 3 pulses from dizzy regardless of which cyl dizzy is pointing to. (So twice every cycle) Ecu will control both fuel and spark. You need to lock the mechanical advance then time it so it fires at 10 deg all the time. When the engine starts the camira module sends the pulses from the dizzy pickup to the ecu. The ecu then knows each pulse is arriving when a cylinder is at 10 deg before tdc. The ecu then commands the camira module when to actually fire the coil to achieve the advance according to the spark tables in the tune
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks Jayme, its all becoming much clearer now.

Just on another note I believe the CM ELB distributors have no mechanical or vacuum advance as this was controlled by the ELB module. I am not big on electronics or distributors but I assume using one of these ELB distributors would remove the step of locking/welding the advance mechanisms as per the 202 post. Probably answering my own question in a way but if someone experienced could confirm that it would be helpful.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

As long as there's no advance in the distributor it will be fine.
Did you mention you are using the delco cor fuel and spark? Or just spark?
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Sorry Dylan, not sure what you mean by cor fuel and spark or just spark.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Typo me thinks ..
"Did you mention you are using the delco for fuel and spark? Or just spark?"

A common conversion is to run a carby and have the Delco control spark advance only. Obviously not as good as a fuel and spark conversion but spark only conversion can make a huge difference to how the engine runs.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Yeah typo sorry, just wondering what intake mods you could do for fuel?
Holly do some throttle bodies that look like carbies. Can have external rails or internal injectors. Look neat.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

265 hemi, theres no question, 6 DCOE style throttle bodies :)