265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

Mechcano wrote:Heff0018

The factory cut out the inner on power steering cars, this is a V8 car.

I'll be interested to see how the change to power steering works out for you, because personally
I think that power steering box is one of the worst ever made, it is very light and has virtually no road feel
or feed back.

Thanks for that, although the factory did I didn’t cut it out in the end I beat the panel and it loved it. The panel folded inward nicely and I was able to knock the small creases out of it without much trouble.

Yeah I know what you mean about the steering. The main problem is with the pump pressure being too high. You can add shims to reduce the pressure in the fa Tory pumps but from what I’ve heard the electric steering pump doesn’t run at such a high pressure. I am also hoping a table can change the pressure at different speeds
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Charlescrown wrote:I remember the days as an apprentice when I took out a Valiant for a test drive and having exceptional driving skills (at the time) either coming close to hitting the gutter or spinning out on corners due of course to the wonderful power steering. They need a slightly thicker torsion bar in the steering box control valve but I don't know if anyone ever made one.

I remember reversing my VJ valiant out of the driveway just after it got painted and pulling down hard on the left and wiping out the fence post. it turned so quick I didn’t know what happened.

Also in my manual charger sometimes even changing gears could mean you start changing lanes.

I like the quick ratio of the power steering but. The manual steering is ok at speed but shit otherwise. I have to do a couple of turns of the steering wheel just to get in the driveway.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I have 3 vehicles with shit steering so I just up the front tyre pressures. You sure do know when their getting low again.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Ever though of using a hydraulic pwm valve and controlling it off of a flex output. Set it so it’s full pressure at no speed to say 20km/h then start opening it up to bypass the steering box over that speed sort of give you a variable ratio box like the vq to vs statesman’s and Calais has I’m one going to put my variable rack into my commodore and control it off the flex outputs
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Most steering boxed cars I have seen (manual not power) have nothing left int he steering box for lubrication. This makes them wear and heavy to use.

This is one of the first jobs I generally do which includes packing some molybond into the box and following it up with gear oil. This then allows the box to become usable again and much lighter to use. Was your steering box dry?

I hate power steered recir ball boxes they give no feeling and are stupidly light. At least with the commodores they almost got the weight right. The falcon are terrible as well. (racks have come a long way. glad we dont have the vague steering boxes now.)

Cheers
oldn64
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Dazza92VP wrote:Ever though of using a hydraulic pwm valve and controlling it off of a flex output. Set it so it’s full pressure at no speed to say 20km/h then start opening it up to bypass the steering box over that speed sort of give you a variable ratio box like the vq to vs statesman’s and Calais has I’m one going to put my variable rack into my commodore and control it off the flex outputs
Yeah sounds like a great idea. I am not sure if the pump already is capable of being speed sensitive. I know there are 3 or 4 wires that people normally feed a full 12v to make the pump work. Maybe these can be used to vary the pressure using a flex table. If not then the valve sounds like a good option. Will need to investigate. Cheers
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

oldn64 wrote:
This is one of the first jobs I generally do which includes packing some molybond into the box and following it up with gear oil. This then allows the box to become usable again and much lighter to use. Was your steering box dry?

I don’t know but it probably was. I bet I was the first person who had touched it since 1975.

Cheers
oldn64
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

I just use it to bypass the pressure side of the rack back to return. Shut the valve off full pressure to rack open it up and would act like manual steering as a bonus if it’s a normally closed valve in the situation that anything electrical fails it shut and supply’s full pressure still giving you power steering also at speed would you would be bypassing unloading the pump a bit more reducing heat and giving a bit of longevity to the oil and parts. I mention this way of doing it as you were saying the power steering is very darty and not much feel dropping pressure to the rack would give less assistance hopefully more feel at speed
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Dazza92VP wrote:I just use it to bypass the pressure side of the rack back to return. Shut the valve off full pressure to rack open it up and would act like manual steering as a bonus if it’s a normally closed valve in the situation that anything electrical fails it shut and supply’s full pressure still giving you power steering also at speed would you would be bypassing unloading the pump a bit more reducing heat and giving a bit of longevity to the oil and parts. I mention this way of doing it as you were saying the power steering is very darty and not much feel dropping pressure to the rack would give less assistance hopefully more feel at speed
Thanks Dazza, I am not sure what the feel will be like with electric pump but it sounds like a good option if it’s too light.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

The electric power steering works and definitely not as soft as stock valiant power steering. Sounds pretty strange but I doubt I will hear it over the cam & 3" exhaust.

I have just joined the stock Astra hard piping to the valiant pipe with some hose and clamps for this test.

I had one blow out when I cranked full turn to the left but it was actually a factory Astra machined pipe to hose crimped join that gave up not my hose clamped joint. Sure made a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEp_6DvHvE