vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

lol that pump sounds like a jet starting up.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

heff0018 wrote:The electric power steering works and definitely not as soft as stock valiant power steering. Sounds pretty strange but I doubt I will hear it over the cam & 3" exhaust.

I have just joined the stock Astra hard piping to the valiant pipe with some hose and clamps for this test.

I had one blow out when I cranked full turn to the left but it was actually a factory Astra machined pipe to hose crimped join that gave up not my hose clamped joint. Sure made a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlEp_6DvHvE
Looks great heff0018,

How have you mounted it as the noise seems to be through the panels as well whihc will amplify it, but as you state with 3 inch exhuast and a cam you might not hear it. but panels noise can be problematic. Mounting on a rubber block or even some sort of dynamat type material on the back will make a huge difference. You will not need much and most audio installing shops (high end) will have off cuts you might be able to obtain. :thumbup:

Cheers
oldn64
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks, hadn’t thought of that and I have some Dynamat off cuts.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Hello Heff018,

Glad I can be of help. I only thought of it because when you have twin turbo V6 GC galant with electronic everything and pumps galore you learn really quickly the engineering about making things shut up acoustically. Floors, firewall, bonnet, doors, boot and boot floor. Dynamat was a saving grace. I also used it in both race cars to stop the fuel pump vibrating through the cab. After a day of the rattle whine in your ear you are a little spent and annoyed. Reducing the noise helped with the fatigue.

cheers
oldn64
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Cheers, Well I’m going to look at the fuel pump next because It’s annoyingly loud.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

I honed the cylinders for the new Endurotech pistons and moly rings that should show up during the week. I wish they were forged but budget restrictions have taken over. I am just going to slap this one back together with some new ARP bolts and press on.

I think I have got a 45 degree cross pattern. I ended up slowing down the drill speed and speeding up the in and out action.
Attachments
42757980540_bc9a04e5a7_z.jpg
42757980540_bc9a04e5a7_z.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 3873 times
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Hello Heff0018,

traditionally I was trained that cross hatch should be approx 30* to the horizontal. Having stated this by the look of your photo this has been achieved :thumbup: .

Have you measured the cylinder bores to make sure they are not hourglassed? If they do change thickness then the rings will change as they move up and down the cylinder which is not the best thing. What tool did you use for the hone? Generally I like the dunny brush type over the three jaw variety as it will not bell the top if you dont have a torque plate bolted on.

Make sure before you assemble you grab two rags and some ATF. Place some ATF on the first rag and wipe all cylinders down. You will find that the rag goes black. Then do this again with the second rag. The idea is to make sure all contaminants are removed and there is no grinding stone sand or metal floating around. I will generally then wipe down with metho BUT ATF will not hurt anything in the motor and the first 1000klm's will have a oil dump anyway.

Remember to clean out your head bolt holes. DO NOT use a tap, Best results are grab an old bolt (that is not stretched) your cutting disc on the grinder and cut a slot in the threads and chase the holes with it. Follow with compressed air and do again. A tap can damage threads and I have seen it all too often. My VQ motor is a prime example as I found that one bolt was not right in the head at the motor and it came down to the monkey whom worked on the motor before me chased with a tap. I noticed the small bolts also had issues. One head now has 2 helicoils in it to make the threads work.

One other thing to keep in the back of your mind. Always check your torque wrench before use. If it is not calibrated or a mate has borrowed it then you might be over tightening the bolts. Dont ask, but I know that when you break a head bolt it is a pill to get out.

looking good though.

cheers
Oldn64
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks for the advice. The bores are really good, there is pretty much no change in the bore width measuring at different points and there was hardly any lip as such, I reckon this motor hasn't had a great deal of use since it was rebuilt by the previous owner.

I used the three jaw variety but of course no torque plate.

So you don't wash the cylinders with hot soapy water, just ATF? I would certainly prefer an oil based product over water.

That's a great tip regarding chasing the head bolt holes. I am using studs not bolts is this still relevant?

Might be time to get my torque wrench calibrated. .

Cheers
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

heff0018 wrote:Thanks for the advice. The bores are really good, there is pretty much no change in the bore width measuring at different points and there was hardly any lip as such, I reckon this motor hasn't had a great deal of use since it was rebuilt by the previous owner.

I used the three jaw variety but of course no torque plate.

So you don't wash the cylinders with hot soapy water, just ATF? I would certainly prefer an oil based product over water.

That's a great tip regarding chasing the head bolt holes. I am using studs not bolts is this still relevant?

Might be time to get my torque wrench calibrated. .

Cheers
When using head studs the thread chase is not so critical as the torque is at the nut end not the block end. But because of my engineering side I would do it as a matter of course, both from cleanliness and state of process.

Yes use ATF it is a natural cleaning agent and will remove any contaminants. This will remove any protective coating as well if you ever have this done at a machinist. Then the metho will make sure all is removed, and clean. Next valuable tip. Do a complete job, do not stop halfway through a process. For example, if fitting pistons to the block, fit all pistons and torque all big ends. Dont fit half of them and then go for a coffee, this will introduce potential to forget to check something and thus reduce your build to a lesser professional one. The major tip....TRUE all your electriconic devices off so you do not have distraction. I will put "elevator music" on in the background just so I am not working in silence. AD/DC or Metalica dont help concentration :punk:

You can do a sudo calibration to make sure your torque wrench is within 1 lbs with maths and weight. I will detail the procedure. From this you can the decide whether you need to re-calibrate from there. :thumbup:

Keep the updates coming and good luck.

Regards
oldn64
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Cheers, will do.