265 Hemi to efi

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote:That's pretty lousy for the gasket to fail that easy. I would be checking for detonation for sure.
Yeah I would have thought it would have taken more than that. Will do.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

my 202 made 347hp with a graphite gasket, I know theres a lot of variables though ..... certainly the MLS should be stronger - and ARP head studs if you don't already.

I reckon you'll find it probably makes more than you suggest over 3000rpm .... although I don't know the rev limit either.

one thing I always love about my 1.6ltr turbo 4 cylinder (daily) is how great it is at lugging up slight hills at 1500rpm in 6th gear, a turbo car is just so much more torquey down low (assuming its making boost) than most N/A vehicles, its a totally different driving experience, I short shift all the time and it just loves it!
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Yeah there’s a few things that could have led to it blowing out and it could well have been my fault but now I have to replace it I am going MLS. The reason i went graphite is that the block deck hadnt been faced and I had read that the surfaces had to be perfectly flat and a certain smoothness for MLS gaskets. The tuner reckons it’s not the cylinder that leaks, it’s water that may leak. He says he has drilled out the rivets in the MLS gaskets and coated each layer lightly with hylomar and put it all back together and has had success with Chevy and Windsors not leaking water.

I have the ARP studs.

I know what you mean about the torque, I love the way it drives and that’s before it had started to be tuned. It pulls like a steam train. I can only imagine what it is like now. I need to change this gasket and get it back to the tuner.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I have used MLS quite a few times for exactly the purpose of stopping water leaks on Ford engines where they are prone to blowing out or leaking from the water jacket. It worked every time and I never even machined the block not once and never used a sealant.

I feel like people must be really doing something wrong for them to leak?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

If you fit an MLS gasket, use water (NO COOLANT) on the initial start up to allow the gasket to seal & you shouldn't have any leaks, then put your coolant in after it has done a couple of heat cycles.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

:thumbup: Great to hear, thanks for the input guys
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

heff0018 wrote:He says he has drilled out the rivets in the MLS gaskets and coated each layer lightly with hylomar and put it all back together and has had success with Chevy and Windsors not leaking water.
thats exactly what we did with the motor we chucked together for the gemini, seperated and cleaned all the layers of the MLS (it was in the nitrous motor that grenaded) coated them all with hylomar and chucked it back together!

so far its done roughly 18 1/8th mile passes and 4-5 dyno pulls and hasn't missed a beat :)

i second the no coolant thing also.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Thanks That’s reassuring. I wish I could have got the head off this weekend but was away camping. I started taking off the injection and looms after packing away the gear but ran out of steam.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Gday all, just about to reinstall the head with the MLS gasket. Does anyone finish the block deck with wet and dry and diesel (with the engine still installed) to get a nice finish for the gasket to seal or is this overkill. It would certainly need a lot of care to ensure all the nasty residue was removed. Cheers
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah I did similar on falcon 6s heaps of times, all were fine and never leaked. I did put a tiny coat of sealant around the water ports in the block as nearly all the falcons have them badly corroded. But key was to use as little as possible not to mess with the MLS sealing elsewhere as sealant spreads a long way when its squished effectively between 2 solid metal surfaces. I can't imagine that being an issue with a valiant engine as they run iron heads and that never seems to get corrosion like the alloy head on iron block engines do. So blocking it with fine wet/dry should be suffice.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.