vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 265 Hemi to efi

Post by vlad01 »

8 bits in a byte. Chips (hardware) are always denoted in bits while files (software) are generally always in bytes. 512Kb (little b is bits) is equal to 64KB (big B is bytes)

12P is 32KB non stacked.
11P is 64KB non stacked.

If you are using 12P you either stack it twice to make 32KB+32KB making it fit 512Kb prom perfect or you run an offset of 8000 on the burner, that puts the 32Kb file at the bottom of the memory array.

The reason it needs to be at the bottom is becasue the ECU starting reading the data from bottom up, the start of the file is the essentially at the end of the proms address range. ie. FFFF

That is why we need to do this to make it work.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

heff0018 wrote:Thanks for the reply I only entered the file offset this time. Strange I still get an error but now the address is 0x008001.
Just to add my two cents on software I'm not familiar with, but wouldn't the file offset be 0 and you'd use the device offset? You want the entire file from the beginning, but program it into the last part of the prom.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote:8 bits in a byte. Chips (hardware) are always denoted in bits while files (software) are generally always in bytes. 512Kb (little b is bits) is equal to 64KB (big B is bytes)

12P is 32KB non stacked.
11P is 64KB non stacked.

If you are using 12P you either stack it twice to make 32KB+32KB making it fit 512Kb prom perfect or you run an offset of 8000 on the burner, that puts the 32Kb file at the bottom of the memory array.

The reason it needs to be at the bottom is becasue the ECU starting reading the data from bottom up, the start of the file is the essentially at the end of the proms address range. ie. FFFF

That is why we need to do this to make it work.
Thanks for the explanation. :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I went through the same thing when I first started before I really understood how it all worked.

The least I can do is share that in a way that hopefully makes sense.

The other thing I learned that no one mentioned is soldering the EEPROMs directly at least with the genuine SST proms is a bad idea, they are sensitive to the heat and their addressing during burning goes haywire and they die. I had 4/5 die lol, so I now solder a socket first and that allows heat free install of the proms and I haven't had an issue since.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

vlad01 wrote:I went through the same thing when I first started before I really understood how it all worked.

The least I can do is share that in a way that hopefully makes sense.

The other thing I learned that no one mentioned is soldering the EEPROMs directly at least with the genuine SST proms is a bad idea, they are sensitive to the heat and their addressing during burning goes haywire and they die. I had 4/5 die lol, so I now solder a socket first and that allows heat free install of the proms and I haven't had an issue since.
Cheers, ithe eprom was such a tight fit that I guessed it wouldn’t need soldering. Got that part right.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They were soldered from the factory but its a reflow process so the heat is minimal and UV EPROMs are much more hardy. I've never killed one of them.

relying only on the contacts in the memcal might cause issues running as vibration could cause reading issues during operation and throw up errors. The memcal socket isn't a true socket, its meant to be soldered. That is why I solder in a real machined socket and then install the EEPROM into that.
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

Yep, I soldered in the socket. Cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if nothing else its a good idea to socket them so you can put whatever you want in it, if the eeprom fails easy to replace, or if you wanted to burn a finished tune to an eprom then you can and send it on its way.

i've also had some issues with header boards and dodgy connections, having a socket makes it all too easy to pop it out for a read.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Agree for all the same reasons. :thumbup:
heff0018

Post by heff0018 »

The Ute is in at the dyno, not quite finished yet but as of this afternoon with 10 degrees of timing, 15 PSI of boost at 5000 rpm 280 hp at rear wheels. With a bit more timing it should hit 300.

The MSD crapped itself just as it got on the dyno on Monday so it was replaced with a FAst Hi 6 box.

I am am happy that the cast pistons haven’t given up yet!