202 LJ Torana Conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
v6bucket

202 LJ Torana Conversion

Post by v6bucket »

I'd like to convert my 202 Holden 6 to injection from it's current triple 2" SU setup. The car is used as a drag car so most of it's running is between 4000rpm & 7000+ & methanol. My thoughts at this stage are to run the injectors between the trumpets & the carb body, from the under side so they are not in plane view, as I like to keep the SU's in place for that old school look, the pistons will be removed from the carbs, with a "plug" fitted in place. What potential problems can be seen with running with this configuration?
My original thoughts were to run the injectors above the trumpets, within an air box so that they weren't visible, but I have got the room, so now looking at other options.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Re: 202 LJ Torana Conversion

Post by Holden202T »

probably the biggest issue I can see is fitting it all in and also the heat under the manifold .... but aside from that, if you can plumb it all up and make it work I see no issues....

although I think you'll still come back to the 9 port head issue with even fuel distribution.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

By injecting the fuel at the outer end of the manifold, shouldn't it almost work similar to a carb? I have to stick with the 9 port as the 12 port doesn't make the HP up high, + there's a fair amount of investment in the 9 port.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah ive tried that before. its good in theory but injectors dont mix the fuel as well as a carb injecting it into a runner and so it dribbles down the walls and manifold shape and gravity make the fuel distribution uneven between the cylinders of shared ports!!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

This would also be a problem with mechanical injection as well?
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I imagine that a sequential system that has the ability to alter the individual firing(timing) of each injector would be needed?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah that might be better ... but than that complicates the crank/cam triggering !!
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

I have removed the pistons from su carbies and machined underneath to take the camira throtle body injectors and fitted to mk2 jaguar twin carb manifold worked great can't see why it wouldn't work on the 202 with triples
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah throttle body injectors are designed to atmoise like carbies. no reason that wont work! you just cant use normal injectors coz they spray like a hose against the manifold wall and then dribble and pool and unevenly distribute fuel.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

found some old photos of the jag tbi set up from nov 2002 after looking I cant remember wether I left the pistons in or not I think I left them in because it had a tendancy to backfire on acc from idle .I even used the iac in the original manifold ,the jags had an aux cold start carby which provided a port for the iac.
I cut up the throttlebody injector mount and machined carby to take it as there was no other way to get the fuel lines attached
Attachments
100-0025_IMG.JPG
100-0051_IMG.JPG
100-0024_IMG.JPG