cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

Hi all,
I'm sure if I scoured the forums here I would be able to find some of the answers I'm looking for, but I thought I'd just have a go at asking the question anyway.
So, currently I have a '68 2a SWB Landrover that I have fitted with a red 253 and C4 auto, but have just purchased a 5L out of a VS Commodore that comes with the computer, but no harness, as the vehicle is long gone.
What my question is, to get the ball rolling, is what do I need to do to the computer to make it run in the Landy, and what wiring loom do I need to get a hold of to start connecting things together?
I'd really like to be able to tune the car myself, so if that's an option, I'd go down that path.
I also currently have an aftermarket Tach, water temp, oil temp and oil pressure gauges in the car and want to retain these if possible.
Any help or advice that would steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
I'm pretty handy, as I've built a few cars, but this is my first time mucking around with computers and fuel injection, so this is an entirely new feild for me.

Cheers in advance!
Matt
Jayme

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by Jayme »

post up a photo of the computer. there are 2 different types with different harnesses.
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Ah, I see.
I will on the weekend.
Is it a big difference, or change how things are done etc?

M
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

There was a different ecu between auto and manual. Which also had their own wiring loom.
If it was mine I'd run a VN ecu and loom given the trans.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

doesnt really change much. you still need to go get a loom out of a commodore to suit your type of computer either way. a manual computer can use a harness from any VN/VP v8 or VR/VS manual v8. an auto computer needs a VR/VS v8 auto loom. if you arent running a 4L60E gearbox, then you are better off going to get a VN/VP v8 loom and computer - as they are more common and probably cheaper.
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Ah, righto then.
As far as I'm aware, the car was an auto, so the computer sounds like it really isn't suitable.
If I get hold of a V8 loom out of a VN/VP and computer to match, what is the next step from there?

M
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Have the loom modifed to be able to be wired into the new vehichle.
Then have the VN ecu modified for high speed comms and USB connection.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3613
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Thanks Dylan,
So is the modification of the loom fairly straight forward, or is it better to get someone that knows what they're doing to do it, and if so, who would that person be?
Also, will the Tach still work when hooked up to the coil?
Sounds like it should be easier than expected.

Cheers...
Matt
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

really depends what your goals are!.. if all you want to do is wire it up and drive on a stock engine and tune, then all you need to do is read up on a few wiring diagrams and put power here and there in the VN loom and it will go. no need to go any further than that unless you plan on modifying and tuning the engine yourself.

you dont need to really modify the loom... just provide power to the places that the body loom normally connects to... and yep... its easy.

the tach will work fine hooked up to neg terminal of coil.