Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by 67panel »

No problems, cheers...
m
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

I've seen them in weather proof box's before seem to hold up ok.
Lot's of speedway car's do that.
67panel
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Thought that may be the case, I'll look at where I can mount it away from as much heat as I can.
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

IMG_2980.JPG
So this is the wiring I have to try make this thing work.
initially I thought It'd be fairly straight forward but it turns out I have no idea what is what on here!
Is anyone able to steer me int he right direction as to what is what (mainly the bigger plugs, not the ones that go onto the actual engine) so I can at least start off in somewhat of the right direction??! haha

Cheers...
Matt
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

where are you probably be easier for someone near you to maybe give you a hand with the loom?
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

I'm in Osborne Park, though the engine isn't in the vehicle just yet, just trying to work out what is what so I can start planning on where to run stuff before it goes in.

m
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Do you have a wiring digram for the donor car? I'd suggest laying it out on the engine and plugging bits in as you go. Physical location will help, and wire colours against a wiring diagram should help too. You can see the computer connectors on the left pretty easily, you can see 2 rows of 4 injector connectors - 2 each side of the 2 bits of tape which I think are marking left and right sides. I think the MAP sensor is the very first wire after the plug through the firewall. I cant be sure but I think the long one going off towards the top is to the A/C switch and dash and is not required. I also think the long one near the MAP could be DFI but its not on the 4 cyl looms ive used. The single wire after the Right injectors is probably the O2 sensor hanging down to the exhaust (1 wire type). I think the fat rubber looking plug might be automatic gear lockout. CLT and MAT sensor will only plug in one place (like most things), I think they're the last two toward the end of the left hand side part of the loom. Or maybe thats CLT and knock or a cam sensor.. and MAT could be on the end of the RH side. Not sure what the very last grey plug there is. The couple of black wires near the center with a flat round connector on them are ground, and go under a bolt on the engine. Cant be much left from there.... Compare what physically fits and wire colours from the wiring diagram to work it out. And wire lengths as you install it gives hints. Not everything needs to be connected but you might need to remove the in gear lockout wire from the auto part of the loom, I recall having to do that for my manual install where the trans didnt provide the signal.

edit: those wires on the transmission plug I think are the brown and blue wires that come out the middle of the loom, can be removed.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I can re work it if you want? I know it looks scarry but it's piss easy.

One plug above the ECU and 2 in the engine bay near the battery is all that interfaces with the vehicle. Open it up and re work as needed. Don't be shy.
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Cheers Dylan,
Yes I marked the left and right injectors when I unplugged it all from the engine, so everything that connects to the actual motor is covered, that's the easy part.
A/C isn't needed obviously, so am I able to just cut it away?
I won't actually cut anything until the vehicle is running, just in case.
What is DFI?
Also, I have a 14point7 o2 sensor now, so do I need to modify the loom for that?
Lastly, the vehicle this loom came out of was a manual, not sure if it was manual out of the factory though.

m
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

That's an auto loom. What trans you running?