Delco on 2JZGE?

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Brady93
cars: BMW E36

Delco on 2JZGE?

Post by Brady93 »

Hey everyone.

I've been studying this site for a little while, and I am at the stage where I have a few questions.

Some background info:
I've got a BMW e36 with a non turbo 2JZ-GE three litre naturally aspirated inline six cylinder engine that I have converted myself.
The engine is currently completely stock and running great in the car, however I will be starting to upgrade the engine shortly.

What I am trying to find out at this time is if converting to a Delco ECU is worthwhile. For example, if I were to change to a Delco ECU, will I have to change every sensor on the engine. If I do, then there is little point, as the cost effectiveness goes out the window and I may as well buy a more expensive off the shelf option. Sadly off the shelf options for JZ's are not cheap at all, and most of them are not intended for use on the non-turbo motor.

My main reason for posting here, is that I am in the process of adapting ITB's to the engine and I will need an ECU to run it.

I need to find out if any of the Delco ECU's will do the job. Which ECU would I be better off chasing, I've been trying to research the various setups, but am having trouble differentiating between different variations and sensor configurations etc..
Fortunately the engine has a distributer, which should simplify it somewhat. It also has a cam sensor built into the distributer (I am unsure of the specs on it), 0.5 Mohm - 5 Mohm throttle position sensor, coolant sensor, dual knock sensors, and the ECU is MAP based with sequential injection. I am happy to loose the sequential injection as I am aware most of the Delco ECU's don't have it.

I've noticed that someone has fitted a Delco ECU to a 1UZ and a 4AGE on here, I would think those engines would not be all that different to mine.

Does anyone know which ECU (if any) would best suit my application? I'm guessing a MAP based V6 ECU would be a good start?

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any input you guys can provide.

Cheers
Brady
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Delco on 2JZGE?

Post by Charlescrown »

Hello Brady. Well you've come to the right place to get advice. The people on here will be very helpful to get you up and running. The sensors are not that difficult or expensive. I recently did my Mitsubishi Starion and used most of my original sensors because they were the same electronic values as the Delco. That's something you need to work out but the forum will help. The ECU is simple a Delco 808 with the faster board rate coms board or one from a VR manual will do the job and the program you need is $12P written by VL400 and is absolutely brilliant. It can run up to 3 bar (atmso plus 2 bar) so its a lot of fun and not that expensive if you tune yourself. Best wishes and good luck with your venture.
Brady93

Post by Brady93 »

Thankyou Charlescrown!

I can easily find the sensor info on my engine, I have it here on my computer in a pdf. Where would I find more info on the 808 ECU sensors? Should I be researching a particular engine or model of car to get that info?

I need a loom or plug to adapt to the Toyota harness to fit the 808 ECU, will any mid 90s wiring harness off a Commodore fit the ECU or is there some variation from model and years?

Thanks!
Brady
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

G'day,

For sensor value research, look at VN - VP commodore, shouldn't be too hard to find a shop manual on the net for them. That is assuming you go with the 808.

As for the harness, any way you look at it you will end up with a 'franken-harness', with out looking too hard at the job, my first thoughts would be to use the Toyota harness, cut the ecu plugs off and crimp pins to suit Delco on, then pin them to suit. Pins are available fairly readily, if you get to that point, i stock them and can help with supply.

Good luck on your project, look forward to seeing some pics :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Brady93

Post by Brady93 »

G'day,

For sensor value research, look at VN - VP commodore, shouldn't be too hard to find a shop manual on the net for them. That is assuming you go with the 808.

As for the harness, any way you look at it you will end up with a 'franken-harness', with out looking too hard at the job, my first thoughts would be to use the Toyota harness, cut the ecu plugs off and crimp pins to suit Delco on, then pin them to suit. Pins are available fairly readily, if you get to that point, i stock them and can help with supply.

Good luck on your project, look forward to seeing some pics :thumbup:
Thanks!

This is what I was thinking, just cut off the Toyota ECU plug and get a 808 plug off an old harness and pin it all into that. Does anyone know the plug part numbers or anywhere I can get them, so I don't have to butcher a harness?

What exactly is $12p? Is it the software? The method of tuning? When i was researching it, it was leading me to the guide to programming the ECU.

Am I correct in thinking the following is what I need to do:

- Purchase 808 ECU and a plug to terminate onto the Toyota harness.
- Purchase the NAVRAM thing, some EEPROM chips, and cable and modify the 808 with the NAVRAM.
- Confirm my hardware compatibility with injectors, cam/crank sensor, etc.. and modify/change any parts that won't work with the ECU.
- Build up some maps on the tuner pro software and burn to a chip.
- Install new harness and ECU and see if it works, and burn new chips to make adjustments to tune.

Thanks heaps for the help so far guys! It's already cleared a lot of things up for me. :D

Cheers
Brady
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

The biggest obstacle to overcome is getting the Delco to work with the 2JZ-GE distributor.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4167 ... e%20Wiring

80 Pin Plug 25 G2 Distributor Input This pin is used to detect the location of the intake camshaft. The engine ECU needs to know if the engine is on the compression or exhaust stroke for sequential spark and ignition, the camshaft position sensor provides this information. This pin connects to the No.2 camshaft position sensor located inside the distributor which outputs 1 pulse (reluctor pulse) per camshaft revolution. A pulse is generated slightly before the TDC on the cylinder 1 compression stroke which is used to determine the engine position for sequential ignition and fuel.

80 Pin Plug 26 G1 Distributor Input This pin is used to detect the location of the intake camshaft. The engine ECU needs to know if the engine is on the compression or exhaust stroke for sequential spark and ignition, the camshaft position sensor provides this information. This pin connects to the No.1 camshaft position sensor located inside the distributor which outputs 1 pulse (reluctor pulse) per camshaft revolution. A pulse is generated slightly before the TDC on the cylinder 1 compression stroke which is used to determine the engine position for sequential ignition and fuel.

80 Pin Plug 27 NE Distributor Input This pin is used to detect the speed and location of the engine camshaft. The engine ECU needs to know the position of the engine so that it can accurately provide fuel and ignition. This pin connects to the distributor camshaft position sensor which outputs 24 pulses (reluctor pulses) per engine camshaft revolution.

The 1UZ V8 is similar and some years back we made a special module to enable the Delco ecu to except the two camshaft and crankshaft signals.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

If you give performance ignition in melbourne a call they'd be able to build you a distributor with what ever module you choose to go with and you'd be surprised how cheap it is, that would keep everything simple
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

HQ355

The type of module I was talking about would not be available to fit in a distributor.

Another obstacle. 2JZ-GE uses variable valve timing.

http://kereta.info/how-toyota-vvti-engi ... telligent/

Other Dual VVT-i engines include the 1.8L 2ZR-FE I4, used in Toyota’s next generation of compact vehicles such as the Scion XD. It is also used in the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE engines

I don’t know how you would overcome this issue. Would be nice if this could be done
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Sorry mate my bad, how's the 808 going to run variable valve timing ? Since everyone told him to go 808 I thought it'd be simpler to go camira or V8 holden module or even crank trigger ?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Flex output?...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...