antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: BennVenn's VW Delco Conversion

Post by antus »

I dont understand, what ignition module are you planning on using with this? It'll still need to be able to generate a spark at 10 degrees on its own before the ecm has synced and taken over to start.

If the camira module note that it triggers on the zero crossing so you'll need a +ve to -ve swing with the zero crossing at the right place. Im not sure how it'll go with a square wave, but I dont think that'll be a problem.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Post by BennVenn »

I plan on removing the camira module completely as my coil packs have integrated drivers. They accept a 5v logic signal. The 10deg ref pulse can be gated to the coils in the same way the camira module does it. If you were set on using the camira module, you could do that too (need to test if a square wave would trigger it as you say - or add a cap to generate the zero crossing transition)

I'm after a neat engine bay and having the camira modules replaced with a modern and available integrated coil pack (VW Jetta) seems like the way ahead rather than resort to wreckers.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

So you're still going to use a distributor trigger, not CAS?
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

For a VW, it is easier to use the distributor shaft as a reference rather than crank. Less fabrication for mounts, no resonance issues to deal with, easier to adjust the timing. With a custom dizzy it'll only be 2inches dia. and maybe an inch high off the block. Not going to use the camira trigger.

And it'll be sealed so I can use opto sensors, rather than mess around the Hall/VR sensors and the signal filtering that goes along with all that.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Ok thats cool. Have you checked out how the ignition functions? Im sure you can build your own so long as the 4 wire delco interface runs to spec.
FYI the camira reluctor waveform is here (pretty standard) and the module triggers on the falling edge. If you hook it up backwards it still triggers but is much less accurate as the transition is too slow. http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic. ... =113&p=952
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

I haven't scoped the 4 wire delco plug yet. I've seen a 'functional block diagram' of the camira module and seems pretty logical. An ECU 'ready' signal to tell the module to use the ECU's pulse as the trigger rather than its internal reference pulse, The ECU's ign pulse, and the 10deg ref pulse. Is there more to it than that?
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

an interesting conversion
Attachments
vw barby.jpg
vw barby.jpg (228.68 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

thats a cool bbq!

yes, thats it. EST, Bypass, Ref hi and Ref low with bypass switching passing through EST instead of generating own spark.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Nah it's not a BBQ, it's a smoker lol
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

antus wrote:thats a cool bbq!

yes, thats it. EST, Bypass, Ref hi and Ref low with bypass switching passing through EST instead of generating own spark.
is Ref low just Ref Hi inverted? or something different?