Delco 808 conversion on Black 202 in a HR

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
benneth
cars: HR

Delco 808 conversion on Black 202 in a HR

Post by benneth »

Hi all,
I’m currently running a 202 VK efi motor and injection in my HR that I put into it about 7 years ago, many thanks for Holden202T for the help back then. The engine has always pinged under load and I’ve had to retard the timing which makes the car have no power at all and the subsequent dizzys haven’t helped either. I’m sick of it so I’ve heard about putting the Delco 808 system from a vn on it for a while now and I’ve always been tempted to do it, but I know nothing about tuning and would hate to have the car in an unfixable state. However I’m keen whilst anxious to give it a go as from what I hear the performance gains from the delco 808 system instead of the bosch le-jetronic on a 202 is great.
I’ve read this site a bit and just wanted to clarify that the following steps is what I’d need to do to get my car up and running with the Delco 808.

- Get the VN injection wiring harness and sensors, ECU and throttle body.

- Set my timing to 10 degrees advance on the harmonic balancer at TDC, Lock my 202’s HEI dizzy’s mechanical and vacuum advance.

- Get the Bosch ignition module (BIM148)) from the JE camira / n13 pulsar / ld astra and wire that into the control module on my dizzy. Also get the Bosch pulse generator (BSE803) for the plug.

- Adapt the VN wiring harness (four wires) where it meets the DFI module to get it to plug into
the 202’s hei new bosch ignition module.

- Bolt on the vn throttle body paying attention the clearances of the accelerator bracket so it doesn’t foul on the vk efi intake manifold.

- Tap the thread for the MAT sensor into the intake manifold’s EGR port.

- Put the O2 sensor into the exhaust, (already have the bung waiting for it from when I got my exhaust done years ago)

- Put in all other sensors and wiring harness.

ECU
- Buy and install the NVRAM eeprom module with Holden202T’s $12p 202 v1.11 base tune pre loaded on it.

- Buy and Install the ECM USB Comms module

- Start the fine tuning fun/nightmare with tunerpro and a laptop

Some questions I’m not sure about though are:
- Do I need a wideband o2 sensor to tune it or can I just get by with the narrow band O2 sensor?

- I’m running a trimatic and the original mechanical speedo, Is there a unit that I can put on the speedo cable that will give the vss signal for the ecu and then connect to the back of my speedo to run it?

- Do I need the MAP sensor as well as I can’t recall reading it in any of threads for the conversion on a 202.

- Is tuning able to be done by a novice or should I just take it to a dyno tuner? Also are there any in Brisbane who can tune this system?

- Am I missing anything?

Many thanks in advance guys.
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Re: Delco 808 conversion on Black 202 in a HR

Post by vlt304 »

you do need the map sensor as the vn / 808 ecu is a map based unit. there is a few ways to do the speed sensor and keep the cable speedo or go vn guts inside your speedo to do away with the cable. I am in Brisbane on the north if you need any help.
benneth

Post by benneth »

thanks vlt304, I noticed the MAP sensor on the wiring diagrams but don't recall any mention of it in the threads I've read, only the MAT sensor.

I've seen a passthrough speedo cable unit at: http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd109.htm so I might look into that and hopefully it'll screw onto my HR speedo and cable.

Cheers for the offer, I'm on the southside, I'll let you know when I get stuck after getting all this stuff together and into the car which will take a while yet, just finding a VN/VP commodore being wrecked is hard enough, although I'm going to see one tomorrow if the weather is clear.

cheers.
vlt304
cars: eh premier sedan v8 vl commodore

Post by vlt304 »

have a good read of the FAQ in the top corner most of your questions will be explained in good detail.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

From memory holden202t did a speedo cable converter thingy using a VK part ? I could be wrong though, I'm sure he'l chip in and let you know. The 808 is a much better system than the VK one and better for mods if you want to do that in future but if your only trying to stop pinging have you thought about getting dizzy re-curved ? That would be simplest way out it, I can recommend performance ignition in Melbourne to do that, just send it to them with specs and they'l work there majic
benneth

Post by benneth »

HQ355 wrote:From memory holden202t did a speedo cable converter thingy using a VK part ? I could be wrong though, I'm sure he'l chip in and let you know. The 808 is a much better system than the VK one and better for mods if you want to do that in future but if your only trying to stop pinging have you thought about getting dizzy re-curved ? That would be simplest way out it, I can recommend performance ignition in Melbourne to do that, just send it to them with specs and they'l work there majic
Thanks mate, yeh i read holden202t's post about covering a vl speedo.
I'm not looking to mod the engine but would like a bit more power and economy. I had thought about recurving the dizzy for about $300ish but the cost of that could go towards the 808 conversion which will be better long term especially with it being a closed loop system. The hard part will be the tuning of it though.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the reason nothing mentions the map sensor is because its basically just plug and play, find a vacuum port and plug it in and its done (theres one on the base of the throttle body for this) .... most all the other stuff that is mentioned in conversion topics is because it usually needs a thread tapped or something modified to fit that part.

wideband is a must if you want to fine tune that $12P 202 base tune, but to get you started a new narrow band sensor will get you up and running.

speedo is not mandatory, they run pretty fine without it, however if you can make an inline speedo converter work then it will give little features like decel fuel cut and stuff like that.... but i have raced my gemini for years without a speedo drive.

i think your pretty much on the right path with all you need, and if you can get it running and get logs from tunerpro then people will be able to help you learn to tune it yourself from there.... having a live system infront of you is the best way to learn and remember!

i recently made a wiring loom for a friend to fit to a VK EFI motor, and then went to his place to get it connected and running, its a stock vk 202 and it runs beautifully with the delco.... he used a VS throttle body and just had to cut the bracket down for the accelerator cable and it fit perfectly, so if nothing else you should be able to do the conversion and get it running pretty reasonably then you can fine tune your motors differences from there!
benneth

Post by benneth »

Thanks mate, yep found the MAP sensor easily.

I've got a new narrow band O2 sensor from a VS that's been lying around for a while, will convert the wiring to work the heating element on it.
Also on this with the wide band O2 sensor can I just have that running in the car always instead of the narrow band one?

Should I be using a VS throttle body instead of a VN? I'm going to pick up a better throttle body anyway as the one I've got already is pretty much stuffed.

My progress so far: I got a complete VN loom from a wreck on sunday so I've just been stripping that down and seeing what sensors are missing, relocating and deleting wires etc. Will keep everyone posted about my progress, will take me a while though.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

you can run the wideband and not the narrowband if you want to, wideband better for tuning, once its tuned you can then remove the wideband and just run the narrowband if you like.

as far as which TB to use, much of a muchness, one advantage of the VS one though is the bracket on the size of it for accelerator cable, so that might be the deciding factor for which you use.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

From memory the VS tps is backward to VN isn't it ? If so swap it out for VN one otherwise it will be saying 100% throttle at idle and idle at 100% throttle