antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Kalmaker

Post by antus »

I use win 10 on my development and tuning machines. I think more screen resolution makes tuning easier. Win 7 is fine, too. Dont get something too underpowered, 4GB ram minimum is ok 8GB makes for a sweet running machine. SSD helps a lot too. But you wont get all of that cheap. Watch out for anything with 2GB ram, and/or with emmc for storage. Slooooooow.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I wouldn't go for a toshiba of any kind newer than 10 years as they are unreliable and shit quality unlike the real old ones. I have heard good of the business grade HP laptops.

I am personally looking at going for the Panasonic toughbook 54 series, preferably the performance model, very pricey though. from 3-6k depending on model, but they built like literal brick shithouse and support with spare parts for years, over a decade of support for some of the really old models.

Good to buy one just for tax purposes.

win 7 is my OS of choice, runs new and old software, from 90s all the way to current. Can't complain about that! All of the hardware we run for tuning works great with 7, 10 can be a bit flaky with the chip burners.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

This is the ALDI one. Would love some thoughts from other's.
Honestly only web browsing, tuner pro and chip burning only.

http://www.unisurf.com.au/unisurf-14-Notebook.html

Only $222
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

I'm using an old Asus and xp works fine.my desktop is win10 and logging Hz In tunerpro halves when on data monitor screen only my old laptop doesn't have that issue.my top2004 burner also doesn't work on win10 which is annoying as hell
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

What hz do you get on 12p? I can get 10 on my current laptop not sure how that compares to anyone else?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Hovers around 10-11
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thats really all you will get.

Absolute max allowing for 0 processing time of anything is about 12.5Hz, reality is roughly 11Hz is as high as you can get for 12P mode 1 message 0 (5 byte request, 60 bytes returned).
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

my wife's work bought a 10 of these and they seem very good all been going for over a year now
https://www.centrecom.com.au/hp-250-g5-156-hd-laptop
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I get 10Hz on mine, sometimes dipping it mid 9s but its a shit core2 duo, loud, hot and noisy. its from 2004 but I upped the ram to the max of 4GB and running win 7 x64, ran like shit on XP that it originally had.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.