antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Datsun / Mazda /Nissan / Ford Frankenstein motor

Post by antus »

TPS is pretty straight forward, the ADC on the computer is 0-5v and it learns the highest voltage it sees is 100% open. There is a scalar you can adjust in the tune if the high voltage is too low and an error triggers. I did one conversion where the voltage ended up being between 0-2.4v and by adjusting the scalar it ended up working ok, but with reduced resolution in the data. Most sensors will output the same analog 0-5v signal so physical fitment and the right direction of travel on the sensor (clockwise vs anticlockwise) to suit the TB are the things while matching TPS to TB if you need to do that. IAC is something which is more of a concern. We've run a nissan one successfully on the delco but had to tune the number of steps to suit the different IAC engine. There are lot of things to change, so now that Ive done that once I wouldn't recommend it. You can save your self a lot of time and pain by running a Holden TB so you get the right TPS and IAC built in.

Im building up an Isuzu G200W turbo at the moment, and will be using an 1.8L N13 pulsar throttle body, and its fuel rail too. The 1.6L is TBI injection, but the 1.8L is MPI so you need that one for the TB and fuel rail. I have a custom manifold now which someone has made for my engine with a mild steel box on top of the original runners, and Im taking that to a fabricator for them to re-make the box part and cut n weld and fit the stainless steel fuel rail to my manifold so It'll fit the TB, its throttle linkage and will then be able to run the denso injectors The1 recommends in his thread. In my case that solves a lot of problems I had with the hardware I started with but you may be best just using that VX TB. The throttle crack enrichment and all of that is tuneable and not hard to sort out so expect some hesitation when you get started but you will be able to fix that in the tune by dialing in the VE and then the enrichment. You will need some kind of wideband to see that and correct it though.

This is the engine bay I've been grabbing bits from. Measurements are a bit rough, but its what I snapped while I was in the yard. The TB is also wider at the front and smallest at the butterfly inside. If you could use this would depend on if you could adapt the throttle linkage to mount on the side of your manifold. You can also see how they mount the MAP in the pics. Bolt spacing on the TB is 60mm in both directions.

Then there is the aftermarket TBs on ebay, but they all say nissan TPS and list a model that was electronic throttle only, so cant be right. Ive seem threads that confirm they're all wrong but none of the sellers know. You could run one of those if anyone where can tell us what TPS fits. Then you'd cut in to this TB with an angle grinder cutting a V shape around the IAC and slice that part out of it, tap it and screw in fittings and install it around the aftermarket TB. On my road gemini ive got the stock TB for that engine, a nissan TPS with analog out (some are switch type only, some are both and you just use the analog part) and have used this configuration for a GM IAC going around the butterfly (whole TB actually).
Attachments
n13 intake.jpg
n13 tb.jpg
n13 tb inside.jpg
n13 tb outside.jpg
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
reuby_tuesday
cars: 01 Pootrol 6.5l chev
01 VT wagon ... sooo boooorrrring
69 Datsun 1000 4 door bliss (Daisy)
72ish Chamberlain C670 (Yellow Peril)
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Charlescrown wrote: Why do you want to put the map sensor inside the car?
I dont particularly. Perhaps i didnt explain myself well.
I just know that the mazda manifold uses a MAF sensor, which is no good for the Delco - it wants a MAP sensor.
As such there isnt a hole to fit the MAP sensor, so i was questioning what my options are. A hose connected to a barb and then just tie up the sensor under the dash might work well enough. Else I can drill and tap a hole, or some combination of the two. Just trying to understand what is actually required and why is all.
VL400 wrote:
reuby_tuesday wrote:So does it really matter what sensor you use?

I was thinking that it would need to be a genuine Delco unit for the Delco computer to read it, or at least a direct replacement unit.

The autometer part looks like a direct replacement part for the delco when you look at the pictures, but then so do the ebay specials....
Have a look in the thread Delcowizzid linked to if you havnt already. The ebay specials look the goods on the outside, inside is a very different story. Its very difficult to get a quality replacement these days.

Data sheets here (and likely a reputable source for a sensor) show what the signal needs to be. Anything with the same voltage vs pressure work...
https://www.efihardware.com/products/36 ... map-sensor
https://www.efihardware.com/products/36 ... map-sensor
https://www.efihardware.com/products/37 ... map-sensor

The LS1 2 bar also works but needs a different harness connector...
https://www.efihardware.com/products/16 ... -LS1-2-bar
I did read that thread and I certainly wont be buying an ebay special - has def put me off that option - very good info.
I have also been looking at the EFI harware website and the units they sell. Considering the price of an autometer unit (which is what was discussed in that thread) are about the same price, I'm thinking ill just order one from them. I have heard good things about EFI hardware, even if people complain about the prices.
antus wrote:Im building up an Isuzu G200W turbo at the moment, and will be using an 1.8L N13 pulsar throttle body, and its fuel rail too. The 1.6L is TBI injection, the 1.8L is MPI so you need that one for these bits.
Well thats good news on the N13 stuff.
I have very recently acquired both a 1987 1.6l N13 (Hatch) and a 1988 1.8l N13 (sedan) - both are good runners and ready to strip down for this project.
Thanks heaps for the images and the effort for that. Its really appreciated. Every little bit of info helps me and fills in the picture some more - Thanks again.

Its also good news on the Vx TB - although if I have access to the N13 TB and this is a suitable option, I would be better to adapt that then the VX unit i would have thought. The mazda unit may we ll be fine as well. Ill need to have a look at that to confirm/deny it useability.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I've had a dodgy 2 bar before, changed almost 10kpa when hot, I went to efi hardware for my last 3 bar, it might be dearer but you know its legit!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Barb and map is fine, i'd put it on the back of the engine bay like the pulsar. Placement doesnt really matter. Under dash is just harder and more pipe so I dont see any advantage to that.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

antus wrote:Barb and map is fine, i'd put it on the back of the engine bay like the pulsar. Placement doesnt really matter. Under dash is just harder and more pipe so I dont see any advantage to that.
Cheers,

I also just realised that one of the pics yopu posted has the sensor in it, on the firewall with hose attached! Might even see if I can get the bracket off the donor car as well.

On another note,
I have access to an N16 pulsar sedan. I have already grabbed the throttle body and throttle cable. Anything else of value on that?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

A V6 commodore throttle might give you more flexibility in terms of the throttle cable and much more air flow as they are 60mm internally. They have the bell-crank directly on the throttle body shaft instead of that convoluted linkage setup.

Not sure if the flange is compatible though as the commodore one is a 2 bolt flange and not 4 bolt as the n13 is.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

if the bolt holes are close its pretty easy to remove two of the studs from the manifold and remove the one from the commodore TB and then just screw it on that way, that's pretty much what I did with the VK efi manifold ..... that said it all depends on the bolt spacing on that manifold.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

The N16 TB is the nissan efi, so wont have the right holden IAC engine. The N13 1.8L TB would be suit better. Its probably the smallest of the options were throwing around but with the small engine you have its probably ample.
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

antus wrote:The N16 TB is the nissan efi, so wont have the right holden IAC engine. The N13 1.8L TB would be suit better. Its probably the smallest of the options were throwing around but with the small engine you have its probably ample.

Thanks for that Antus. :thumbup:

The N16 doesn't seem to have much of value in general for a custom EFI using the delco. Its not big deal, its just that I have access to the car for nothing so I am just pilfering for my mate Just-in (Just-in-case). Ill file it into the spares box for later if needed. I know you mentioned that you did manage to get an N16 TB working, with much pain. Id like to avoid that if i can. I'm no guru on the delco and tuning.

I've got the 2 N13s now, so i should be able to make up everything from those two hopefully.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

reuby_tuesday wrote:I know you mentioned that you did manage to get an N16 TB working, with much pain. Id like to avoid that if i can. I'm no guru on the delco and tuning.
Nah that wasnt N16, bit it was Nissan.. on a VG30 engine... this one viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3020&hilit=300z&start=10#p38777

The TPS was ok, but it was the different IAC which was painful - you can see it at the back of the engine on the side of the manifold.