69 Datsun 1000 4 door bliss (Daisy)
72ish Chamberlain C670 (Yellow Peril)
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Re: Datsun / Mazda /Nissan / Ford Frankenstein motor

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Ok, So an update on the project.

Its come to a grinding halt.
Its basically a lack of available time.
My wife has been unwell for some time and the house is needing much needed repairs and renovations. As such, what waking time I have available is looking after the family or working on the house.
Its fustrating as I was just starting to get some momentum on the project, only to have to just stop.

Hoping that by June, Ill have all the house stuff done, uni will be done (i'm thinking of deferring for semester 2 2018) and i can get back into the saddle on this.

Basically, I wanted to let people know that I haven't just vaporized like so many do - I'm still here, just in park for the time being.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hope the wife is all good and nothing major!

i kinda know how you feel man, i was powering along on my project, now we are expecting a baby september and i've been so busy with work and house stuff i've barely touched the car in months.
reuby_tuesday
cars: 01 Pootrol 6.5l chev
01 VT wagon ... sooo boooorrrring
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Post by Holden202T » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:37 pm

hope the wife is all good and nothing major!
Thanks for the thoughts. Its a mental health thing. These don't just get better like a broken leg unfortunately and its been dragging for a few years now. Its recently got to breaking point.
She is on the up now, but its a long, hard road.

Good news on the new baby! My wife had very difficult pregnancies. Hope your wife gets through the whole process without too much trouble.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah we lost one a few years ago so hoping this one will be more smooth :) and heres hoping for your missus to keep going up!
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

by Holden202T » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:05 pm

yeah we lost one a few years ago so hoping this one will be more smooth :) and heres hoping for your missus to keep going up!
thanks Holden202T,
still work to do, but she has a good support network around her.

For our first spawn, amongst other things, she suffered from pre-eclampsia leading to an emergency c-section, but we certainly didn't lose a child.
My fingers and toes are all crossed for you and your wife over the next few months.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah similar here! ours was only 23 weeks and was still born! its funny how easy you think it is to have kids till you actually try it for yourself!
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

Ok, So Im back on this horse for now.

Wife has been well nor a while now, so Ive got some breathing room to keep rolling with this car.

I'm still collecting bits and pieces, ordering things when they present so I can spread out the cost.

I was originally going to use toyota COPs - that was the thing to do with the mazda B6a while back, but they are now all moving to using AC Delco D585 coils from the LS2 powered chev pickups.

Somthing like this setup is what I am looking at. - Custom leads to go with. (mazda / GM truck hybrid cut n shut)
https://www.lsxinnovations.com/product/ ... -brackets/

Before I get carried away with ordering stuff, I want to make sure its going to work with the 808.

Does the 808 have the capacity to run sequential ignition based on an input such as either a crank trigger wheel ( 36/2 - https://www.mx5performance.com.au/produ ... mazda-mx-5) or the mazda CAS mounted onto the intake cam on the back of the head. - my preference is to use the mazda CAS as its neater and works better with my plans at this stage - but open to options.

I have read in threads about the place the D585 has a habit of discharging early when used in non-LS2 applications (I dont really understand why exactly) - but it has the fattest most consistent spark available, hence why its the mod to be seen doing. The standard mazda wasted spark ignition works fine in standard NA form (as designed by the factory), but once you push boost, they struggle to keep up, you need to close spark gaps blah blah blah. the D585 can produce a fat spark at 1mm gaps up to 30 psi - at least thats reported numbers. Thats well above and beyond my needs.

I have also read somewhere that the delco cant handle the D585 for some reason. The VZ-Vf LS2 powered commodore in Australia uses the related D581, which is a similar coil, but not as fat spark as the D585.

Am I traveling in the right direction with the LS2 coils?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

I dont think so, your ignition options are limited. You really need to stay with the ignition systems the delco came out with. That have the same old 4 wire ignition interface.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
reuby_tuesday
50ish dumper (Listeria)

Post by reuby_tuesday »

antus wrote:I dont think so, your ignition options are limited. You really need to stay with the ignition systems the delco came out with. That have the same old 4 wire ignition interface.
When you say what the delco came with - I need to use the distributor from a pulsar or similar? with a single coil?
Can I hack down the coil packs from a commodore V6 into a 4cyc config?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Have a look in the faq area for a link to the dis thread. You can use a specific american 4cyl module with 2 commodore coil packs, or pretty much any reluctor with the je camira, n13 pulsar module.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396