Defining the difference if any between VR & VS 304 V8 moudua

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Brad WRT
cars: VR & VS Commodores.

Defining the difference if any between VR & VS 304 V8 moudua

Post by Brad WRT »

Hi and thank you for any help and replies. I have done a lot of reaserch on this sight (thank you for that) over the years but never joined. I am also sorry about the lenght of this post/question.

I can't actually find detailed information if there is actually a difference between VR & VS original uv eraseable memecals.
The sons car is a VR 304 it had a genuine HSV memcal in it. It now has a few engine mods, cam, extractors, etc.., but is still all VR running gear. As not to use the HSV mecal (board and chip) we supplied the tunner with the car and a memcal out of a VS 304 to be tunned and rewrote in the VR PCM.
The reason i ask a question is, the engine runs fine, but the shifts are iffy and not as firm as they were. Nearly at every start the engine light comes on for about 15 to 25 seconds (hot or cold) and it has a stored fault code 83, which is a PWM (pulse width modulator) code wich the gearbox doesn't have one. So is the PCM recignition part of the board or do you think the tunner has put a VS gearbox tune in as part of the info burnt to the chip tune?

Thank you.
delcowizzid

Re: Defining the difference if any between VR & VS 304 V8 mo

Post by delcowizzid »

Just the wrong tune for wrong gearbox memcal hardware is pretty much the same bar knock filter and maybe slightly different limp mode settings in the netres .just needs the code processing and engine light codes turned off in the ecu eco and some gearbox tuning they probably didn't even touch the gearbox tune
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Brad WRT

Post by Brad WRT »

Thankyou for your responce delcowizzard. See this is the bit thats confusing me now. If you lift the sticker and erase the chip i would assume now that the gearbox info would go too? Unless the tuner could copy the gearbox info on the chip and put the same info back.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

He would of started with a base tune it would of just happened to be for the 13pin gearbox with the pwm solinoid I'm sure he can fix it up
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Brad WRT

Post by Brad WRT »

Thank you for that delcowizzard you have answered my questions.

Since i am amember now i have more questions about cips and boards, but i din't know if i should start a new topic? I will re do this as a new topic if i am supose to.

I have another memcal her with a SST27SF512 chip soldered into it. Can that chip be rewrote to!?
Would the chip have to be unsoldered to do so?
Or is there an adaptor that for a board that plugs into a burner? Eg: to fit in a willem burner socket?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yeah you can buy a header plug to put the memcal in the programmer
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

The1 has them for sale here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3650#p44058
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396