N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Post by BennVenn »

As for the teardown and damage assessment, there's a video here: https://youtu.be/qy_1g1fdGkY

It's a little long and lots of wind noise.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Looks like it's been getting coolant into cyl 4 for some time being so clean.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

yeah I think you're right. Though I never had to top it up and it never pushed coolant out the radiator so not too sure. Maybe it was just the volume of coolant it ingested in those last few seconds.

I know when it let go it was like there was a smoke screen deployed and gave the car behind me a bit of a fright. On idle it was making little steam smoke rings.

What did worry me was there was coolant on all 4 injectors but I can't see how it would get into adjacent intake runners...
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

It can get back thru the intake valves. I just rebuilt my Starion engine because a cylinder leakage test showed a big leak from No1 and smaller leaks fron 2 and 3. 4 was good. Turned out to be tight tappets. I can imagine the white smoke drama.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Yeah it must have found its way back through the intake. That or a cracked head...

So I'm glad I pulled all 4 pistons out. The top ring in #3 was in two pieces and did quite a bit of scoring on the wall. The fragments of chrome plating had embedded themselves into the crown of the piston turning it into a grinding stone... It's a bit of a mess in there and it's already 40 oversize so it can't go any bigger. I cleaned up as much of the chrome embedded in the piston as I could, it's relatively smooth and abrasive free now. A hone got a lot of the lighter marks off the wall but there's still some heavy marks left. I cleaned the pistons up, installed the new rings and put the pistons back in. It won't be perfect but it will be a whole lot better than it was and if it lasted over a year with boost as it was, it should hold up just fine now.

This motor has always had excessive blowby, to the point I installed a catch can back when it was still N/A. Now I know why!

I won't bother doing valve stem seals or lapping the valves in. I've got a feeling this motor will be coming out in the near future.

I've put video's up on my Instagram @willitboost if you're interested in the damage and the rebuild. It'll hopefully be all back together tonight and on the dyno in the morning to seat the new rings then ease in the boost.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Yep turbo engines turn into a pandoras box when you start pulling them apart. My EVO track car was spraying oil onto the windscreen of the cars behind me and when I pulled it apart it had broken ring lands on most pistons. So much for forged pistons and std tune.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've heard and seen a lot of engine issues with those EVOs, they go hard but seem to blow up often, catastrophically too.

One issue i've heard is the waste gate diaphragm breaks on them and they overboost til they grenade the engine.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

It goes deeper than that. Dickheads screw 600kw @ 45lb boost from an engine never designed to do it. My engine is good for a reliable maximum of around 350hp and the 7 is good for about 450. Thats it. If they expect a 2L thats already working hard to do miracles then they should accept the final outcome. KABOOM. I have a friend that has a 7 and he has spent huge money on it and it runs consistant low 9s but has given up and now does roll racing because of the excessive load on the car. Not bad for a street car.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It really depends on the engine, some are build way better from factory than others.

A good example is the ecotec 4 cyl. They run them into the 6s and there is even a 5 now. They are stupidly strong blocks for factory and 4 cly are generally more easily broken than other 6 and 8 engines for the same specific output due to the inherent 2nd order balance issue they have so that's super impressive the least to say.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Is that the engine that has big problems with the timing chain?