N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Post by BennVenn »

This will be the build log for an experimental VNT Turbo setup on the N13 pulsar. It is already running the Delco ecu with 12P so it's not a true Delco ECU conversion but hopefully an interesting build all the same.

What we learnt in Round 1:
*Intercooling not required when using Throttle Body Injection on mild boost (6-8psi)
*VNT turbo's can offer full boost just off idle to redline
*VNT's need to be over-sized (or an external wastegate) to keep boost under control up top
*Exhaust wrap is unpleasant to work with.

Things I want to do this time around:
*Tuck the turbo under the manifold, hugging the block to keep the stock fans
*Use heat-shields and not a blanket on the Turbo. They're only oil fed so forced air cooling is a good thing.
*Use common pipe and silicone sizing throughout. For some reason 2"=cheap, 1.75"=unreasonable.
*Add room for a wastegate should I need it.
*Find a junker engine that I truely don't care about to see how much boost a stock motor will handle

Here's some pics!
My 1.6L Time machine. Takes me right back to 2001
Here's what we're working with this time
Here's what we're working with this time

This time 'round we're using a 2.0L BorgWarner turbo from a GreatWall 2.0L. In it's original application it makes full boost (26psi) by 1800RPM and holds it until just over 4000RPM where the ECU throttles back fueling. The intake and exhaust housings are bigger than the previous 1.6L turbo in my last build so fingers crossed it breathes a little better and makes less boost with the VNT nozzle fully open. This should work great in my 1.6 and possibly the 1.8L too - though I've got a 2.2L BT50 turbo in mind for the 1.8L. The vacuum actuator is removed ready for an electronic actuator.
BorgWarner spooly boi
BorgWarner spooly boi
A 1.8L engine I grabbed from a written-off Pulsar. It took a bit of a hit head inpact on but aside from the exhaust manifold, dizzy, oil return, alternator etc it looks like it might be OK. Acid was on the gearbox for a week and made a bit of a mess of it. Appears to be superficial. There's no sandwich plate between the box and engine on this. Odd...
1.8L potential upgrade
1.8L potential upgrade
I found this off a Barina I think it was. 2" mouth and feels pretty sturdy and looks like it'll flow better than my homemade hat. It might find its way into this build.
Barina Hat
Barina Hat
BennVenn

Re: N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Post by BennVenn »

For the sake of completeness - Pics from the first build.
First go at Tig welding
First go at Tig welding
Cast Iron to Steel 2" Vband. Because flared 2" exhaust isn't a thing in Australia
Cast Iron to Steel 2" Vband. Because flared 2" exhaust isn't a thing in Australia
Makin' flanges to keep it all 'drop in'
Makin' flanges to keep it all 'drop in'
Drilling and tapping the manifold for an IAT. Google gave me the US GM IAT thread size so I drilled and tapped only to find it was too big! A $30 GM IAT later and we're back up and running
Drilling and tapping the manifold for an IAT. Google gave me the US GM IAT thread size so I drilled and tapped only to find it was too big! A $30 GM IAT later and we're back up and running
Turns out steel fence posts are the perfect size. We've now got one corner post 100mm shorter than the rest... Cleaned up and chamfered on the lathe ready for welding
Turns out steel fence posts are the perfect size. We've now got one corner post 100mm shorter than the rest... Cleaned up and chamfered on the lathe ready for welding
It's starting to look like a thing! Was going to do 90deg bends on this sch40 but I'd probably end up collapsing it. A small hump to get it over the rocker cover.
It's starting to look like a thing! Was going to do 90deg bends on this sch40 but I'd probably end up collapsing it. A small hump to get it over the rocker cover.
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

Onwards and upwards.
This build will certainly show more of what those turbos are capable of!
I'm subb'd already lol.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

The Silicone arrived and was larger than expected which was nice. Added in an o2 sensor, exhaust wrap and we're ready to start tuning! Still waiting on the pod filter and adaptor from 'Sydney AU'. 4 weeks later...
The Silicone arrived and was larger than expected which was nice. Added in an o2 sensor, exhaust wrap and we're ready to start tuning! Still waiting on the pod filter and adaptor from 'Sydney AU'. 4 weeks later...
The Family II motors have this neat 1" pipe from the head back to the sump to return the oil. I added a barb and that's the new turbo drain point. I wonder how hard it would be to add a heatsink or water lines for a little extra cooling
The Family II motors have this neat 1" pipe from the head back to the sump to return the oil. I added a barb and that's the new turbo drain point. I wonder how hard it would be to add a heatsink or water lines for a little extra cooling
Injector from a 2.2L Pontiac. A little too big for the ol' 1.6L. Would be perfect for e85. The o-ring keeps sliding off and dumping a gallon of fuel into the intake. Best stick with the stock injector with higher fuel rail pressure
Injector from a 2.2L Pontiac. A little too big for the ol' 1.6L. Would be perfect for e85. The o-ring keeps sliding off and dumping a gallon of fuel into the intake. Best stick with the stock injector with higher fuel rail pressure
And that's about it. It runs, drives, makes spooly noises and goes Pssshhhhhh. I've popped this kit up for sale on FB, let me know if it's somthing you might want before I chop it up for parts on the new build. On with the new build!!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Use the multi point efi manifold
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

delcowizzid wrote:Use the multi point efi manifold
Unfortunately it doesn't fit the 1.6 head, and the 1.8head doesn't fit the 1.6 block. If the 1.8L motor goes in then I'll use multipoint and a larger turbo. I'm leaning towards the 1.8 route just for the extra 100hp it'll gain me after its all finished.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

delcowizzid wrote:Use the multi point efi manifold
Ok, we're going with the multi-point. Spent the day doing the engine swap and we've hit a hurdle...

Both drive shafts were in (pretty sure). Passenger side has a heap of resistance when in gear, drivers side spins freely. Convinced the drivers side wasn't driven all the way in, 3 hours spent trying to get this CV home. No change.

I just pulled the shaft back out and the splines in the diff where the CV slides in spins freely with no resistance in gear. I can see the pinion in there so that's intact. There's no glitter in the oil.

What is curious is the girl we got this motor from, she said the car pulled hard left and into a guard rail at about 60. It was a bit of a mess when we pulled the motor out so didn't really check much.

Why is there so much resistance on the passenger wheel (I suspect its a LSD diff but not 100%) when the drivers side shaft is out? I don't think she could have been driving on just the LSD.

Can you swap a box with the engine in?
IMG20210425125039[1].jpg
'quipt4it

Post by 'quipt4it »

I've done clutches in FWD Mazdas etc.
Pulled a manual 'box from a Suzuki GTI for synchro's etc. All with engine in. No problems.
All while working in the tight confines of a single car garage.
You got plenty of space lol.
Dang this is a long 1st page :shock:
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Hopefully an easy swap in the morning then. I don't miss the smell of gear oil!

Can't make sense of the drivers side freewheeling and almost engagement on the passenger. Maybe a dodgy attempt at a welded spool?
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

That’s a handy engine crane