N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
BennVenn
cars: R33 GTST, '60 Vw Bug, Express (4G63T), GW X200

Re: N13 Turbo - Round 2... Fight!

Post by BennVenn »

It's been a minute since the last update!

I've since rebuilt the turbo kit using a GT2860 which was pretty much useless, no boost until 4800rpm but it did want to make power out past 6500 which was new. That confirms there are no valve train issues / float etc and it was just the gt17 choking the exhaust flow.

After looking around for some forged turbo rods I ended up on the UK Vauxhal C20LET facebook groups to see if they had any stock rods they'd part with. Found a few but it turns out the part number and casting numbers are identical to the rods used in the aussie 18LE motors. The bearings and rod bolts are also identical. The C20LET guys run their stock motors reliably around 350HP and up to 7000rpm with only ARP rod bolts so that's a little reassuring for the old pulsar motors. They also use cast pistons and they say the rods fail before the pistons, if the tune is good. I've got a set of ARP bolts on their way.

The current build is now using a TD04l-13t subaru turbo. I finished it yesterday and ran it up on the dyno. It's making a safe 97kw atw at 0.5bar of boost. Full boost by 3100RPM, 4psi at 2100rpm. Peak power at 5000rpm

I figure if I raise boost to keep torque level, it should raise power to around 110kw at 5k with theoretically no more stress on the rods than I'm seeing now at peak torque.

I'm using ford XR6t injectors at 3bar which top out at 75% duty cycle at 5500rpm. Still a bit of room there if I run them at their rated 4bar but I'll need a new pump for that.

So next up will be an electronic boost controller to keep that torque curve flat out to 5500 and when the bolts arrive, maybe up the boost a touch.

Right now its making more power at the wheels than my VP and is 400kgs lighter. Pretty happy with that! I think we're approaching the limit of the drive train. I've already fractured the spring cage out of the exedy clutch plate and now the passenger side CV is clunky.
td04_log.PNG
td04_log.PNG (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
TD04_50kpa.PNG
IMG_20230225_170233568_HDR.jpg
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

well that was short lived...

Blew the head gasket on my drive home and wifie came and towed me 15kms home.

By the time I smelt coolant the damage was already done...
HeadGasketAFR.PNG
HeadGasketAFR.PNG (29.39 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
Just coming on boost the AFR went to 16.2 and that's all it took.

Digging a little deeper, I overlaid the VE plot on the graph and it dipped from 90's down to low 40's. But why?
ve_dip.PNG
ve_dip.PNG (18.43 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
I had a look at the table the VE was being pulled from and there it is...
rogue zero.PNG
rogue zero.PNG (44.31 KiB) Viewed 2488 times
The CalcVE table I pulled the values from only 1km earlier were populated so all I can guess is I put a 'v' in there when I clicked on the 3600 cell and pressed Ctrl-V to paste the updated VE numbers in. When I hit update it replaced it with a zero. I would think 100 would be safer than zero in such an error case? An easy mistake and one that's cost me at least a head gasket, maybe even a head resurface...
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Doh! That'll do it. Machines hey... garbage in, garbage out.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Do you think its worth pulling the pistons to check for cracked ring lands?
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Going off this pic your still got a lot of tuning to do.
Attachments
Camira torque.jpg
Camira torque.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 2425 times
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

BennVenn wrote:Do you think its worth pulling the pistons to check for cracked ring lands?

If you have not pulled the head off you could always do a compression check. Any sign of blue smoke at the exhaust?
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

kojab wrote:
BennVenn wrote:Do you think its worth pulling the pistons to check for cracked ring lands?

If you have not pulled the head off you could always do a compression check. Any sign of blue smoke at the exhaust?
Pointless if the head gasket is hanging out...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

Definitely no compression on #4 and would be a shame to waste head bolts and a gasket on a bad piston...

I've got the head off now, #4 has blown out into the oil and coolant passages but no damage to the head surface or block surface.

The cam looks pretty bad. Surface rust all over it. I'll see if scotch Brite pads help otherwise I'll drop a new cam in.

The oil in the turbo feed is still gold so I don't think It drank much coolant in the oil system but I'm going to pull #4 piston out anyway to check ring lands and the condition of the bearings.

Pistons are 1mm oversize and still crosshatch visible on 1,2&3. Surface rust on 4 so I'll give it a quick hone while the piston is out. If the piston and bearings are good, it'll all be going back together. Head bolts arrive tomorrow.

Is that 63kw /130nm charlescrown? Not bad for a 1.6, I assume at the flywheel? I was at 97kw / 203nm at the wheels.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've had the same issue with 0'd out cells. I found what seems to be a bug with copy and paste of any cells. What seems to happen is if you paste over a cell and leave it selected, then click save to the table, it closes it as it saves iirc. Then when you reopen the table, the pasted section is cleared out, usually 0 or nothing. So to work around this issue, I always click on another cell after pasting, this sort of "tabs" the cell/s and then save the table and it's fine. I always re-open and double check after I lost a heap of VE data that way after spending ages building a histogram in the CalcVE.

I'm surprised such a small lean spike would blow out the gasket. My daily driver and other car's I've had bad knock that turns heads (no pun) it's that loud, never causes any issues on the Buick.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BennVenn

Post by BennVenn »

I'll definitely be keeping a closer eye on the tables after I save...

I didn't think that spike would do it either. IATs we're in the 30s, just must have been the perfect afr and a few psi of boost to blow it out.

It looks like water was run in this car as coolant as the areas surrounding the water galleys are a few thousandths lower from corrosion than the rest of the deck. Probably contributed to the gasket blowing where it did, though I've run a lot more boost than this at higher IATs with no trouble. Always over rich on boost though.

I've got a new set of rings on their way (ring gap measured 0.8mm top ring, 1mm second ring, workshop manual says 0.5mm max and ACL says 0.47mm gap for up to 15psi boost)

I've also grabbed a fel-pro Teflon head gasket. Not sure if it'll help at all or if it's just a gimmick but they supposedly seal better to a non machined deck? I've also got a duratek gasket here. New torque to yeild bolts arrived yesterday. Just waiting on the rings and valve stem seals to put it all back together