86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Elijah Bruce wrote:
v6bucket wrote:I know I said that you may need a VSS, but my HJ ute with manual & 202 is working ok.
20210919_121059.jpg
I took mine for a test drive today. It’s burning a bit of oil which is messing with the o2 readings a bit but otherwise ran great. Now time for tuning!
You have done really well for a young guy with your first set of wheels. Keep up the good work. Congratulations. I wish I had the chance to have this much fun with my first set of wheels back in 1968. I'm building a 208 at the moment with individual throttle bodies and 808 to slip into my FJ. Still good fun.
Geoff
Elijah Bruce
cars: 1975 Holden Kingswood Utility

Post by Elijah Bruce »

Early 56 EFI wrote:
Elijah Bruce wrote:
v6bucket wrote:I know I said that you may need a VSS, but my HJ ute with manual & 202 is working ok.
20210919_121059.jpg
I took mine for a test drive today. It’s burning a bit of oil which is messing with the o2 readings a bit but otherwise ran great. Now time for tuning!
You have done really well for a young guy with your first set of wheels. Keep up the good work. Congratulations. I wish I had the chance to have this much fun with my first set of wheels back in 1968. I'm building a 208 at the moment with individual throttle bodies and 808 to slip into my FJ. Still good fun.
Geoff
thanks Geoff, i have been incredibly lucky with my parents letting me get this deep into a build at my age instead of telling me to just buy a new car that works! But with funding everything by myself, i cant say that it was easy. Its good to have it pretty much done. Hopefully this engine will last some time and will bring many smiles once i finally get my P Plates!
Shake N Bake!
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

heres the current issue, started the car in the shed today as i have been busy, waited for it to warm up and gave it a few revs. Noticed that it was running incredibly rich (10-11:1) so im now trying to diagnose why. I have attached a log of it idleing with a few peps of the throttle.
Rich Idle Log.xdl
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Shake N Bake!
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

Holden202T wrote:make sure you configure the wideband 0v and 5v settings in the tune to match the widebands analog output.
Did you read and make sure what HOLDEN202T said above. This step is very important.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yep confirm the wideband settings are setup for your wideband ... also does the wideband have a display ? if so do it agree with what the log is showing?

and i also noticed in your log you have DTC 43 - Knock Sensor Circuit and 42 - Ignition Bypass Circuit.

43 ... just disable the knock sensor stuff i assume you dont have one on it ?

42 .... this might indicate an issue with your wiring to the 4 pin plug on the camira ignition module.
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

Holden202T wrote:yep confirm the wideband settings are setup for your wideband ... also does the wideband have a display ? if so do it agree with what the log is showing?

and i also noticed in your log you have DTC 43 - Knock Sensor Circuit and 42 - Ignition Bypass Circuit.

43 ... just disable the knock sensor stuff i assume you dont have one on it ?

42 .... this might indicate an issue with your wiring to the 4 pin plug on the camira ignition module.
I have definitely calibrated the wideband and it matches the gauge in tuner pro so the ecu knows it’s running rich. I will disable knock sensor but I’ll have to check the ignition wiring, the wiring seems completely fine and I did double check everything when wiring it first
Shake N Bake!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well if the wideband is right then it sounds like its time to start adjusting the VE table!
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

Holden202T wrote:well if the wideband is right then it sounds like its time to start adjusting the VE table!
i guess so!
might be a stupid question, but would putting the fueling mode into closed loop help at all?
Edit: and would setting the VE learn perameter be enough for the ecu to learn its VE?
Shake N Bake!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

the computer will only command closed loop fueling when certain conditions are met, and one of those is having the narrow band o2 sensor installed.

so from that log you posted, this is what i can summize.

This is what the current numbers are in the VE table.
Current VE.jpg
Current VE.jpg (73.59 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
This is what the calculated new VE's should be from using the wideband reading and the target AFR settings.
Calc VE.jpg
Calc VE.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
clearly from that its a good ~20% too rich.

use the tuning guides if you need info on how to tune (see the links in my signature)

basically you need to start driving around and logging with the laptop to get the data which will then allow you to tweak the tune, obviously the idle areas you can probably do in the shed at home etc, but much outside that areas you need to be moving, or loading the engine up more to hit those cells.
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

i see, thank you.
Shake N Bake!