Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Elijah Bruce
cars: 1975 Holden Kingswood Utility

Re: Help needed! converting 202 to delco

Post by Elijah Bruce »

Gampy wrote:There are VSS signal generators that fit in the speedo cable location on the trans/transfer case ...

Example: Digital Speedometer Sending Units

Some cars came from the factory with such devices during the mechanical/digital age ... They had a cable to the speedo and a signal generator for the computer.

-Enjoy
Okay, ill need to do some more research i rekon. What are the downsides to having no VSS signal to the ecu?
Shake N Bake!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

You might find that the engine stalls when coming to a stop.
heff0018 wrote:I have one that is spliced into the Speedo cable.
Can you elaborate on what you have heff0018, I need a unit to go into my HJ ute that I've just put on the road, only took 15 years.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

If you look at the search I provided you will see some that are strictly digital generators and some that have Mechanical Passthru and Digital Generators.

The mechanical Passthru is what you are probably in need of ... You just unhook your Speedo cable, attach the Passthru Digital Signal Generator, then reattach the speedo cable.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

So does this give the correct signal that the 808 understands? It appears to fit a Saginaw/Powerglide trans.
https://www.vpw.com.au/parts/DD-SEN-01-4160
Or this one
https://www.vpw.com.au/parts/AMT-5291
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

I do not know what signal the 808 expects, I suspects it's not hall, I could be wrong.

However the two you pointed out have two different transmission fitments ... One is 5/8", the other is 7/8".
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

have a look at the questions in the FAQ area (link up near top right). There are a few threads linked about speedo sensors with options. One of them is viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4041 or viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3554
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

v6bucket wrote:You might find that the engine stalls when coming to a stop.
Can you elaborate on what you have heff0018, I need a unit to go into my HJ ute that I've just put on the road, only took 15 years.
Ha, yes projects can take a long time to complete. I contacted Gauge Works in Adelaide and told them I needed a VSS to suit an 808. I marked on my existing Speedo cable where I wanted the sensor to be located and they did the rest. The dyno tuner hooked up the wiring and configured it all so unfortunately I can’t give you any great details. That said I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

heff0018 wrote:
v6bucket wrote:You might find that the engine stalls when coming to a stop.
Ha, yes projects can take a long time to complete. I contacted Gauge Works in Adelaide and told them I needed a VSS to suit an 808. I marked on my existing Speedo cable where I wanted the sensor to be located and they did the rest. The dyno tuner hooked up the wiring and configured it all so unfortunately I can’t give you any great details. That said I’m sure it wouldn’t be too difficult
That sounds like it could be a good option for me. Some photos of your setup if you still have the car would be great. How much did it cost to get that speedo cable splice made? Im already $700 overbudget but ohwell. :thumbup:

Or could i get away with not having the VSS signal? I'm running a manual gearbox or normally just pop it into neutral when coming to a stop so i dont see how the engine would cut out. I know auto's have the engine under small amount of strain at a standstill in 'drive' so they could cut out yes. But for a manual, is it worth the extra time?
Shake N Bake!
Elijah Bruce

Post by Elijah Bruce »

Well now the ol 202 is now rebuilt and in me ute. Ive also modified the vp throttle body to bolt onto the vk manifold. Getting close now! Just time to wire wire wire!

Well i have bought an AEM X-Series wideband kit with the sensor so i can monitor the a/f ratio while i drive. It has the 0-5v output wire that i will wire into the ecu pin, is this all i need for the realtime logging with the wideband, just having it connected to the ecu via that pin?
Shake N Bake!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

It needs to be a Hall sensor and should be 10 pulses per revolution of the speedo gear. Then it gets complicated with an electronic devide circuit in the instrument cluster. I use one that fitted in series with the cable. The manual says if it doesn't have a signal the torque converter clutch will not operate and idle quality MAY be degraded. I have 2 delco conversions one with speed sensor and one without both manuals and can't tell the difference.