265 Hemi intake

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

265 Hemi intake

Post by VK_3800 »

Hi all

Just got this manifold conversion sorted and thought I'd share a few photos and a bit of info on how I went about it.

Here's the all the parts ready to assemble

I believe its a factory manifold, the owner provided it and a template of the angle/position of the intake valve in relation to the port. I machined up some basic injector bosses and the holes in the manifold to suit, these are a light press fit with a step at the top, and a bit of epoxy/cold weld to ensure a good seal and tidy finish.

Also machined some fuel rail extrusion to suit, here you can also sort-of see the bottom of the injector bosses.

The small holes in the bottom section are for these brackets.
VK_3800

Re: 265 Hemi intake

Post by VK_3800 »

Since its using mainly V6 Commodore parts we decided to use the throttle body too. This adapter provides the transition to the oval hole in the manifold as well as some vacuum ports and mounting surfaces.

The throttle body almost fits the same mounting holes, just a little slotting and it works. Also bored this to around 70mm with a new stainless butterfly.

Adapter mounted with flush countersunk bolts.

Just a little bit of extra clearance needed around one of the bolt heads.

Bolted on.

You've probably realised by now that the throttle linkage isn't pointing in the right direction at all. This is basically the only orientation of the throttle body where everything fits, so added this cable bracket with a roller to make the cable do a 90 degree turn.

It has a wide angled groove to accommodate the progressive ratio linkage, this is wide open throttle.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Apparently there's not much room at the firewall end, and the injector angle pushes the rail even further back. So plugged the end of the rail and put the feed fitting pointing down.

The rail extrusion internal diameter is ideal for tapping to 3/8" NPT, but a bit big for the standard o-rings. Made a reducer that is press-fit and machined internally with the injector seat tool.

So a standard fuel pressure regulator now bolts straight on.

Brackets for wiring and return line attached.

The original brake booster hose tail ended up under the fuel rail so plugged it and put a new hole a little further back. Plenty of meat in this manifold for threads.

PCV and MAP sensor fittings in the throttle body adapter.

And one for the fuel pressure regulator on the other side. The big fittings are just normal 1/4" NPT hose tails, the small ones are custom made from brass stock.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

The fuel rail bolts to the throttle body adapter too. The rail is machined to accept the standard injector retaining clips (still to find a set) to ensure there's no chance of the injectors popping out.

View from the bottom showing the injector/boss protrusion and angle.

I'm not exactly sure where the standard fuel lines run in the vehicle but added a steel return line to give the option of connecting at the firewall end. Just cable tied neatly to the fuel rail brackets, the smaller cable ties are for the wiring.

Puts both the hose tails at the back next to each other, hopefully with with minimal joins.

Although the fuel rail will obviously be visible it'd be nice to retain some of the original character with a carb-style air cleaner. Made an adapter to standard four-barrel size, with provision for a centre stud.

Just clamps around the throttle body with a set screw underneath.

The (almost) finished article.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is awesome!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Nice !!!
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

That’s a trick setup. Nicely executed
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Looks good, I'm looking at doing the same for a 202 Holden. What did you coat the manifold with, hammer tone?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah thats some nice machine work!
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Thanks guys

The manifold is painted with wrinkle black, has held up well on my 355 manifold and a can actually seems to go quite a long way