cars: 56 FJ Holden
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Reading NVram Help

Post by Early 56 EFI »

Now that I am convinced Program 1 on my NVRam is corrupt and the Program 2 is still OK (as I can connect to program 2 using TP5 and Flashtool), I removed the Dallas from the socket and tried to read it in stand alone on my programmer. What I pulled off didn't make any sense in a third party binary editor like Neo Hex Editor which I have used on other projects. Should I be able to make any sense of the raw binary or can this only be done with it pulled off with the flashtool etc. What I was trying to do was compare the good bin (Program 2) with what I suspect the corrupt bin (Program 1). I cannot read Program 1 with TP5 or the flashtool as I cannot connect with the BIN_SW link ON or SET. I can only connect to the NVRam with the BIN_SW link OFF or UNSET.

Also just to clarify before I try to program the NVRam on the programmer, I am using a $12 (32K bin) so I assume I should be able to stack it 4 times in TP5 and then just push it into the NVRam with the programmer to get the NVRam fully functional again. From all the reading I have done I assume this is correct. YES or NO?

Thanks for your help.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Reading NVram Help

Post by antus »

yes thats correct. on the nvram you have 32k unused (blank or a redundant copy of 12p if stacked) then 32kb that is 12p, then another 32k blank or unused 12p, then the second 12p. you'll need to slice is up and save the 32kb you want to its own file if you want to use it in TP5.

Easiest way to start fresh on the nvram is load an _stacked 12p bin from the original zip, then upload your cal in the car on either map.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

antus wrote:yes thats correct. on the nvram you have 32k unused (blank or a redundant copy of 12p if stacked) then 32kb that is 12p, then another 32k blank or unused 12p, then the second 12p. you'll need to slice is up and save the 32kb you want to its own file if you want to use it in TP5.

Easiest way to start fresh on the nvram is load an _stacked 12p bin from the original zip, then upload your cal in the car on either map.
Thanks for that re loading the NVRam..

As for trying to look at the corrupt data on the NVRam. Is that possibleas I had hoped?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It just depends and it's impossible to know, best you can do is if its the first bank you want cut the second 32kb chunk out the file you read and view it in tunerpro with the right xdf and see how it looks. Good luck!

Something like this https://www.filesplitter.org/ should do it. Pick custom size = 32 and Kilobytes as the units then the second and 4th file it outputs are the two banks on the nvram the ecm will be using.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Early 56 EFI
86 Corvette
80 Caddy Limo
03 Dodge Ram Cummins
68 Galaxie 390
94 Mustang GT Conv

Post by Early 56 EFI »

antus wrote:It just depends and it's impossible to know, best you can do is if its the first bank you want cut the second 32kb chunk out the file you read and view it in tunerpro with the right xdf and see how it looks. Good luck!

Something like this https://www.filesplitter.org/ should do it. Pick custom size = 32 and Kilobytes as the units then the second and 4th file it outputs are the two banks on the nvram the ecm will be using.
Thanks, got it.