n00b NVRAM tuning a Rover V8

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
spoon
cars: Mitsubishi Cordia GSR
Toyota Corolla KE70 (blacktop 20v 4age)
Toyota Corolla KE70 (soon to be 16v 4age)
Toyota Corolla KE70 (soon to be 4g62t from above cordia)

n00b NVRAM tuning a Rover V8

Post by spoon »

Hey there, I'm pretty new to physically tuning, I have watched lots and lots of how-to's on youtube and read up as much as i can on the forums here (getting started etc), however i am still stuck at crossing the initial first barrier - mainly because i dont have a commodore i think...

My setup is a 3.9L rover V8 in a Triumph Tr8,

I have converted the EFI system to run the VN/VP wiring harness with a VR manual ECU (082) and V8 distributor (+ignitor etc).
Also fitted LS1 injectors...

I have also fitted an NVRAM and ALDL cable (purchased from here) and am trying to make the next steps..,

1) do I need to fit a memcal to the adaptor board? all the pics i could find point to yes, I only have the original standard V6 memcal so not sure how it would help at this stage. ( i did clip the netres to be V8, although not sure how it helps yet)

My issues with starting tuning:
1) TunerPro doesnt connect to the ECM anymore for some reason, i was able to connect in the past - have noticed the blue light on the NVRAM board turns off instantly with the key, I dont have a EEPROM burner yet (on its way), but was advised that the NVRAM was delivered with a 12P tune (purchased about a year ago so shouldnt be flat i would think). I have only previously successfully connected, nothing more - have checked cable ok in TunerPro, just no connection to the ECM.
- Is this most likely a corrupted tune or is the NVRAM battery flat (or both)?
Engine will start poorly (as expected) - fuel pump primes etc so maybe the NVRAM is ok?

I have downloaded the OSE_12P V112.zip and looking at the ADXs available, i think i need the vr_$12_v1.03.zip does that sound right? The 16183082.zip and 16183082modded.zip only have "ADS" files - anyone able to tell me what the difference is?

I think ill leave the questions there for now and update as i get more familiar with the whole process.

Thanks in advance
Dave
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: n00b NVRAM tuning a Rover V8

Post by antus »

1a) no you dont need to fit a memcal. Its only for the knock board which provides a basic knock detection system. Its not available for the factory v8s, only in HSVs. Plus, its tuned the engine in the factory and cant be changed. Because you have a rover v8, it'll be no good anyway.

1b) blue light means you are on map a (the default) but it when your on map a, it should stay on for a couple of seconds after you key off. It probably means the mvram is corrupted. It shouldnt have gone flat, you should have a few years life in it. Could you have uploaded a mismatched file before you left it, or otherwise left it in a bad state? You'll need an eeprom programer to put the stacked bin file from the 12p zip file back on the nvram chip directly out of the vehicle. Usually people use a tl866 programmer from ebay, or a gq4x4 from darkwire or mcumall for this. The gq4x4 has better software and quicker delivery, the tl866 versions are a little cheaper but take time to get delivered to au.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
spoon

Post by spoon »

Thanks antus, from your response and since i dont have a programmer yet (i have recently ordered a tl866) , i removed the jumper for the map a, and tried on map b - was able to connect fine with tunerpro and adjust the fuel flow rate (using kinjflow to get the rate).

when the programmer comes, am i able to just amend the map a since it seems corrupted?

just another getting started question - am i able to put the computer into diagnostic mode using tunerpro? so I can check my base timing?

Thanks again for your help!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Not sure about the diag mode but there is a drop down command list for things like that in the monitor window if I recall right.

Yes the programmer will fix the NVRAM corruption, but it will overwrite the whole lot including A and B so make sure you have an up to date copy of your tune on hand to re-upload after you reprogram the NVRAM.

I have personally had the corruption a few times myself, usually my fault.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

diag mode is a pin to ground in the loom. recommend a switch on that pin so you can turn it on any time to either flash codes without tunerpro or check timimg.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
spoon

Post by spoon »

Received my tl866 and managed to read the NVRAM contents, and at first glance it seems to match the OSE_12P V112 bin, but i want to reflash the bin to remove any corruptions present. Looking over the flashing guide, it doesnt really state whether i can just open the bin and flash - do i need to "stack" the bins - there appears to be an offset for the info (lots of rows of zero's) but im not sure if this is expected.

If i write the "OSE $12P V112 BLCF V8 __stacked.BIN" bin - is this prepared to go straight onto the NVRAM chip? - i dont need to do any other preparation to the chip in advance (guide says nvram doesnt need erasing but is that the only requirement)?

thanks team!
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Simplest is to flash the stacked bin you mention, then in car upload your saved configuration with delco ose flash tool or load your saved bin in tunerpro click upload there.

By default oseplugin doesnt save the operating system part of bin as a speed optimisation. By writing the stacked bin, then uploading your calibration in car or on bench you avoid the need to build a bin with calibration and operating system manually by hand, and you avoid the need to do any stacking to get the two copies and empty space lined up right. Once you've uploaded the cal its worth stopping the car, taking off the map_sw (map switch) jumper and then repeating the process on the other copy on the nvram. That way both copies on the nvram get your calibration, so the other one is ready if you ever need it. I would generally put map_sw back on, so the map led is lit which technically isnt a power light but its useful to see you have power at a glance.
spoon

Post by spoon »

great thanks antus, at the moment i dont have any calibration since i havent started the tuning process yet. I have now flashed the nvram and reinstalled into the ECU.

I have a couple of other jobs to do still on the car like finish wiring in the wideband, then ill redo injector flow rates and set the base timing.

All going well its all smooth sailing from here :-D
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

This looks like an interesting project. I have 12P running on a starion multipoint and also a TBI and it's a great program to work with. Keep the posts coming.
spoon

Post by spoon »

Hey people,

i might be one of the few guys left on this forum :-D

I am running into beginners issues as i cant seem to find the right resources for my questions

I now have the car all running and idling however this is where im now stuck
for a long time i couldnt get it to run right as it was waay too rich even after i did some rough calcs with the kinjflow spreadsheet - ended up adjusting in realtime and when i halved the calculated value straight away the car started running almost perfectly - not sure if this is the best way to set the baseline? (kinjflow suggested 0.074g/s for the LS1 injectors (26lb/h) but runs "best" at 0.0399g/s)

1) Should i go back to 0.074g/s and adjust fuel maps instead?

2) Now the "THE BASICS OF TUNING A DELCO ECM" guide gets straight into tuning fuel for VE with the assumption you have AFRs showing - I have tried looking everywhere but cant locate this function.
I have wired up my wideband to the ECU (D8) - the physical wideband gauge is reading fine but cant find any readings within TunerPro - is anyone able to help with that?
i am using vr_$12_v1.03.adx, the "values" and "Complete Dash" tab in the editor doesnt have any items that reflect a wideband or D8 - the only one close is "o2 voltage" or "o2 Cross Counts"