FX Holden Race Car Project

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here

Re: FX Holden Race Car Project

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 pm

Have you looked at the king spring catalogue? as that spring is a king spring in the pic
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...

Postby Holden202T » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:00 pm

hahaha no its viking :)

i did look at kings catalogue, but it basically tells you what you need for model xx car, doesn't have any info on dimensions of the actual spring .....

that said i have found QA1 - 8MB375 and Afco - A8SR375 which are 8 inch, 375lb springs, it appears these are a mustang conversion part, slightly higher poundage than the ones i have (350lb) but 1 inch shorter ..... so if viking don't come back with any better options these might be worth a look.

Postby Holden202T » Tue May 24, 2022 2:38 pm

Thought i should post up a bit of an update on where im at as far as post racing changes/improvements etc

First thing i wanted to do was to add a vent from the sump to the catch can, as i was getting a bit of oil out the dipstick tube, this was probably partially as the seal on them is not real flash but also possibly because there is no way for the pressure to get out other than up the oil return passages and back to the tappet cover, so i got an alloy fuel pump blank off plate and a speedflow fitting and blew the cobwebs off the tig (this is the second real job for the tig since i bought it!)

1.jpg
1.jpg (147.51 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Not the best weld but it will hold!

2.jpg
2.jpg (155.3 KiB) Viewed 182 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (199.64 KiB) Viewed 182 times

So this was the one i was worried about welding, its not the thickest alloy and i didnt want it to cave in on me, anyways it worked ok once i got some heat into it.

4.jpg
4.jpg (165.11 KiB) Viewed 182 times

All installed and ready to roll, thankfully i had a bit of the clear hose left over because i always like to buy more than i need!

5.jpg

Next on the list was to add a few sensors to the engine, primarily engine oil pressure, and i also added trans temp just because the new pan had a second bung in it! So i got a speedflow T piece and got it all plumbed up, the sensor on the end is an alloytec oil pressure sensor, and the plug is the same as a TPS plug so all stuff i had laying around, the big bulb sensor is the dash gauge and the braided line is the oil feed to the turbo.
It then just needed a metric to imperial adaptor for the alloytec sensor.

6.jpg
6.jpg (257.77 KiB) Viewed 182 times

Started on installing the data logger and running wiring to the sensors etc.

7.jpg
7.jpg (227.15 KiB) Viewed 182 times

This is a quick log i did of it, you can see the bottom monitor with trans temp and engine oil pressure - very interested to see what that shows me!

8.jpg

i've also been trying to find a suitable solution for my coilover front shocks not having any adjustment, so far the only real answer i have is i can get the spring re-set and this might be the answer, but i also feel they are too stiff to begin with so would really love to find a softer alternative, but this is a nice to have thing, so not too stressed if nothing happens in this area for a while.

I have tossed up the idea of making a collar to sit on the coilover adjuster, then cause a wider spring, but this would mean i need a 6 inch long spring .... so starting to get pretty short, as it sits now i have an 8 inch long 375lb spring, and the front is very stiff!

who would have thought i'd have an issue of the front of the car being too light ?!?! anyways i will work something out one day!

Previous

Return to Members Rides