Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Postby In-Tech » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:50 pm

Aww man, I'm sorry to say I have seen this many times, especially with eprom, eeprom and zif adapters :( The zif we can "scratch" as we slowly close the contact points, the others have always come back with a few re-insertions which is kinda like cleaning a battery terminal when it gets oxidized.

I've always wanted to try a chemical solution to clean these contact points and then put dielectric grease so they don't oxidize. This idea is good in my mind, but I don't have any practical experience with the chemicals required without worrying about killing something else :( I bet some others here already know what to do.
-Carl

Postby vlad01 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:57 pm

I ruled out connection issues by trying different known working memcals which house the spring loaded contact fingers. The ECU has solid gold plated pins and they are perfect with no oxide or anything like that.

I suspect faulty MLCs. The replacement ECU is a reco unit which has had a number of MLCs replaced so I think that is the likely culprit. Not uncommon for MLCs to become microphonic with age, cheap shit ones are sometimes microphonic out of the box and whistle when used in a resonant circuit or PWM or similar.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.

Postby vlad01 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:54 pm

I ended up getting these remotes to try and they finally arrived today.

I can report great success! :thumbup:
It is the European made Techmania Multi frequency universal cloning remote. It can do the 303Mhz the genuine Mongoose ones do. It is also the same dimensions as the VN-VP remote, so a perfect replacement.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264376384853

Takes a bit of finesse to get the range working on them despite the cloning working fine for some reason, perhaps frequency detection?

I found if I held them back to back and end to end (overlapping by about a 1/3 to a 1/2) it cloned good and works at comparable range to the original which is about 15m.

Very easy to program as well.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.

Postby charlay86 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:57 pm

vlad01 wrote:I suspect faulty MLCs. The replacement ECU is a reco unit which has had a number of MLCs replaced so I think that is the likely culprit. Not uncommon for MLCs to become microphonic with age, cheap shit ones are sometimes microphonic out of the box and whistle when used in a resonant circuit or PWM or similar.

Actually all class 2 ceramic dielectric materials (such as X7R Z5U Y5V etc) are piezoelectric/ microphonic, regardless of quality or age. These materials do lose some capacitance with age but can be restored by heating them above their Curie point ~125°C. Only real reason to replace them is if they are cracked/damaged.

Postby vlad01 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:18 am

Yeah I do understand that, but some MLC can become bad, probably due to internal cracking or something similar like you said.

Previous

Return to Members Rides