Blown V6

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
v6bucket

Re: Blown V6

Post by v6bucket »

ejukated wrote:Nice result! What's the full specs of the cam? Are you running an intercooler or e85?
No intercooler & the fuel is Methanol.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

that fuel comes with a free intercooler.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

vlad01 wrote:that fuel comes with a free intercooler.
It does cool well, but at idle we're seeing temps of 120°c plus from the MAT sensor, which does drop very fast once the engine gets some revs under it.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah but the mat is pre injector so you'll never see the full cooling effect, only some from intake reversion which like you said with higher rpm will happen at certain points somewhere higher up in rpm.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Quick update. He has had some issues with gearbox's since the new engine went in, probably got nothing to do with 300000+klm that the box's had on them, even looked at fitting an auto in, but couldn't find a suitable bellhousing to fit a Glide to a V6. He has just received a trans that should stand up to the task, T-5 with V8 ratios & a long input shaft to suit the V6. Got this from Mal Wood in QLD. Not sure when it will get a run, as he's in the process of moving to northern NSW.
Dato T5.jpg
Dato T5.jpg (33.73 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Does it have any other changes done to it other than a different cluster/gears?
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

It's a box that he builds for motorsport use, I'll get some details.
madmaxisback
cars: VN Calais
VK Berlina

Post by madmaxisback »

Hope it lasts mate. I have played with several T5's in past in VN SS with tough 355 and a Torana with tough 304 (400hp) and a VS ute with only 320rwhp. All failed in time and all of these had big $$$ spent on them.

Best thing I can recommend is bigger clutch with more clamp force and redrilling the flywheel to suit. Helps them last a bit longer and makes it much nicer drive as clutch is softer to press and helps with better positive shifts. (I used custom Sachs 10.5 and round 3800lbs from memory)

Hope it helps :thumbup:

Make the T56 work and never look back I think mate
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Bellhousing for glide is easy just use a vx v6 4l60e bellhousing and the adapter plate to bolt the pump to the housing to suit are sold everywhere
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

madmaxisback wrote:Hope it lasts mate. I have played with several T5's in past in VN SS with tough 355 and a Torana with tough 304 (400hp) and a VS ute with only 320rwhp. All failed in time and all of these had big $$$ spent on them.

Best thing I can recommend is bigger clutch with more clamp force and redrilling the flywheel to suit. Helps them last a bit longer and makes it much nicer drive as clutch is softer to press and helps with better positive shifts. (I used custom Sachs 10.5 and round 3800lbs from memory)

Hope it helps :thumbup:

Make the T56 work and never look back I think mate
Was it the usual 3rd gear problem?

Its actually better to go for a smaller than stock multi plate clutch, more load capacity, lighter clamp and pedal force and much much better for the gearbox syncros as it drastically reduces inertial mass pre cluster side which helps the syncros work better, fast and last longer. All the things the wife likes to hear :lol:

Only $$$$

Hard to get a proper built T5 in Aus unless Astro, GF or the true motor sport gear sets from PPG which cost 5-6K alone for the gears. The PPG gears are V6 and Falcon 6 only, though but could be possible custom make input to suit v8.

No point there though, Astro would be my choice for a v8 car. Min rating is 600 ft-lb for those and used in drag racing all of the time in the states with almost non existent failures. The thing that makes the T5 a choice over other stronger in stock comparison boxes is the rpm capability and shift quality and speed as they have much much less inertial mass, but of course you need to get he right parts to make them strong behind an 8 and heavy car.

Which for a v8 a T56 would be easier and probably a lot cheaper. But for a v6 it gets hard with conversion due to everything not in your favor and needs custom everything to do a good conversion, its often the same sort of price and a hell of a lot less effort to just go with the pricey PPG gears and call it a day, and you get one of the best quality gears in the world and straight cut gears to boot! :thumbup: