The1's Daily

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: The1's Daily

Post by immortality »

You can also clearance the original oil pump cover yourself, it just won't look fancy like a bought one.
The1

Post by The1 »

finally getting time to fit up this new sprocket set, how critical do you reckon the cam magnet in the cam sprocket would be? it's about half a hole out with the new set compared to the old one and stock which were bang on to each other, also there's no way to keep the magnet in the hole cause it's so thick now with the adjustment plate behind it, also once magnet is in you only get maybe 1-2 degrees of adjustment. I feel this should only be used on VR which has no cam sensor magnet for sequential injection. Yet on there website it states this is for VS/VT as well.

https://www.norndaautomotive.com.au/rol ... t/127.html

I sent them all a message to see what they say.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Given its adjustable, I reckon most race engines that use it delete the magnet and are either using 808 or aftermarket ECU anyway, sequential does nothing above 2k and even at below 2k the advantages are marginal anyway, so no place in a race engine where these timing sets are used.

I'm surprised they even have a provision for the magnet.

Technically it would be vr manual only as they used the 082, the auto version still used the cam sensor, but as I did on my vr when converting to manual I deleted the magnet and ran 808. That said you can use these down to VN series 2 with an oil pump upgrade to VR type, as I did on my VP.
I only use the VR type pump anyway as the 6 spline eliminates the startup pump chatter the 2 flat pumps get.

How does the splines fit compared to the first set?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Looking at the pic again, to me that does not look like it has ability to take a magnet, one hole should be offset outward iirc, they all look the same and just for weight saving.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

Sounds about right, i had a feeling it'd be that, one and half a dozen of the other lol I have a feeling ill just refit the old one up and put new pump sprocket on and new cover and be done.

The new crank sprockets are the same as in the RED kit, no markings on them just a dot, the RED kit had the timing markings on it, i think rollmaster will save any money and time they can if they dont have to put timing marks on cause it's on the cam sprocket then why bother, not like they have any competition.
The1

Post by The1 »

Only the one edge was worn. Def fitted up originally ok and put front cover on ok without force. So not sure why it did that.
Attachments
IMG_20201212_141127.jpg
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

too bad you didn't have all of them on hand, you could of mixed and matched to make the best out of all of them.

So the splined bit still fits the same as the original one you had?
The1

Post by The1 »

yeh there all the same only difference between RED and GOLD is the cam sprocket
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Interesting how the better one piece one had a shitter chain. while the better chain one has a shitter sprocket.

No consistency.
The1

Post by The1 »

I think there manufacturing is random lol, just make sure the upgraded cam sprocket gets in the gold box, rest they CBF with trying.