vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Re: Vp Wagon

Post by vs ss »

Nice! Should work out much nicer on the pocket as well.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Hopefully would love to go all out but not this time, still going to do some porting and machine the heads for some decent springs and good valve seals. already cleaned up the block and flashing just need to hone, clean and paint then the block is done. going to get the crank linished and reciprocating mass balanced then that should be it so will be setup for a cam later on but won't ve doing it just yet
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

It would be nice seeing your going to balance it is to put a set of flat tops in while your at it and get a bit of comp, but it's all about that green stuff for sure. With the heads as far as port work goes Are you Just go in to knock the casting dags of the ports and give them a pocket port?
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

I'll see how I go maybe able to swing a set of flat tops in there. Been looking for a good set but the decent cast ones start from 900 up anything below is the hypatec Pistons and keep seeing and hearing varied results as they are a eutectic piston and a bit fragile but I suppose for a street driven only engine shouldn't be to bad as for the heads yea just going to match them a bit hit the backs of the ports and smooth them out haven't really ported heads before besides just smoothing them out but gotta start some where may as well start with wrecking my own stuff before anyone else's
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

hey guys has anyone had a play with raspberry pi 3 and creating desktop gui buttons. ive got a motorised fold out touch screen and a raspberry pi 3 i want to play with and try and make it into a head unit i can do the usual stuf with gps music and bluetooth phone thats not that much of an issue but im wanting to be able to create my own desktop buttons for say volume up and down rather than trying to go through menus trying to find it all and sort of turn it into functional head unit/logger/dash. im wanting to start to learn how to do this sort of coding and creating. ive found the command lines i need im just not sure on the software to use and the way to go about it. at the moment the raspberry pi is running raspbian noobs lite i think its completely standard at this point in time
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Finally got around to starting on the top end of the 304 for the wagon stripped the heads apart and all the exhaust valves are scorched
ED6E71D4-3B2E-4B45-B83B-0C71E704D459.jpeg
So while I’m trying to make my mind up on how far to go with the heads I started having ago at porting them don’t know how I’m going but looks ok to me so far just one port knocking the casting off with a carbide bit then hit it with 60 grit have shaped it a little and just smoothed the short side. what do most people do with the valve guides shorten and shape them a bit or just something similar to what I have done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1ACB677D-3890-478F-AC9E-FA58FF49BD3C.jpeg
5E88326E-F097-464D-9D52-D635B8517BC7.jpeg
5F63DE1C-C365-495F-BBC2-7DE23A73C0E0.jpeg
CEAABD12-6537-4F8A-B807-85234BC9F9E3.jpeg
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hey Dazza92VP,

what is the desired application?

Stock VN style heads are bloody good out of the box and generally only need cleaning up. You can go too far with these heads and kill your port speed thus going backwards in flow.

If you have a stock stroke then I would be keep stock valve size, recut seats properly with at least 3 angle (prefer 5 angle) tidy the bowls up and the short turns and shape the valve guide areas so that they are not hitting a wall. (ie below) Then just match your intake and your good to go. With these heads you will be fine with a 304 motor, the biggest drawer back is the intake, and if you can get teh intake right then the head will come alive. I know personally that Larry Perkins when building the race engines actually filled the ports slightly on the short side to increase port speed, this helped to overfill the cylinder, hence getting a better burn. Bigger is not always better.

However, if you are looking to go 355 then yes you will need a little more work to get the port nice and smooth. Do not go too smooth because the motelled walls does help with atomisation. Honestly I have seen people spend stupid amounts of money on these heads to be either disappointed or broke. You get a far better result is you are going big to look into the alloy heada nd then put good parts into it. Better end result with about the same cost and you have a great set of flowing heads. Remember a 355 will not produce great gains above 6800 so dont rev them that high. Where as the 304 can happily go to about 7500 with good gains.
304 head.jpg
304 head.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 7967 times
Good job so far :thumbup:

cheers
oldn64
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

It’s just a street stock freshened up vs sIII 304 so small chamber heads haven’t even changed pistons just a quick hone new rings and bearings mainly doing the heads for a bit of learning experience rather wreck my heads than stuff up having a try at someone else’s first
Haven’t even changed cam or anything unfortunately building a house and having two kids in 2 years tends to drain the account fast but the missus has said in. A few years I can pull it back out and go wild with it so may as well spend some time doing stuff that doesn’t cost. I haven’t hogged anything out just smoothed it out there is some narly looking flashing in there. I was thinking stay the same size valve but spend a little more and get stainless stop them having same issue with the valve seating area being cooked out also considering changing valve guides to Kline bronze and vitol valve stem seals then decide on valve springs. I know no cam but would like to not have to worry about the head in the future
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Also do you thing go smoother with the finish than what I have or leave it at that and just shape the guide? Looks a little pocket marked to me like it could be a little bit smoother
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

Hello Dazza92VP,

Yes you can go smoother. I use emery cloth to finish mine off, you dont want it to look like this........LOL
rough.jpg
rough.jpg (125.08 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
rough2.jpg
rough2.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
These are a little too rough hehehe. (was from thread where someone was having a go at a very good head porter for having mirror finishes on everything, he got burnt hahahaha)

Look at your short turns as these help quite well. Smooth your valve areas and I would CC and unshroud your valves.

I would also port and flow your oil pump as these are known restrictions with holden pumps and then look at cleaning up the valley casting. Oil return to the sump can be bad on these but if you are considering track work then seriously look at running an external line back to the sump from the back of the heads. I would also do priority mains oiling as this will allow you to turn the motor higher without killing it (again due to oil filling the heads up) I know you stated street car but sometime a little extra time in places makes for a really nice system.

The big thing with raising the intake floor is to get the port flow up thus allowing you to out accelerate a large port head. I dont know how many 308's with large intakes cry when a small port early head out runs them at Sandown down the straight because the port does not come on song early enough. I am have a mate which we did raise the port floor on his VN heads and he runs twin DCOE 48's (i think) on his 308 in a VK and out runs a number of other 308 and even a couple of 355's with this setup. Make sure your transistions are smootha nd you should knock this out of the park ;)

Yes Kline and vitol are worthwhile investments.

Good luck

cheer
oldn64