vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vp Wagon

Post by vlad01 »

yeah but motors are inductive loads so it would require a diode.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Well only way to find out is to put a diode on and try it of that it worked for a while then crapped out then the second one died almost straight away don’t want to kill to many of these at 50 bucks a pop could start to get expensive quickly
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Ok so collected a new relay same unit as before but I’ve also got a diode to fit to the motor as well I got a 6a10 diode as far as I can tell that should be a massive overkill for what it needs (better to be safe than sorry) is that correct or should I have gone with a different one?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Should be overkill, though I'm not sure if speed of the diode matters or not? that said I have used plain 3A rectifier diodes in the past with no issues.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Well driven it a few times now and the new relay hasn’t died after fitting the fly back diode so looks like that was issue only issue now is mainly hunting once hot at idle stationary I have to sort out will have to get a log and have a look
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

probably lean or the VE table has a spike or, I know on the V6 they deliberately made the last 2-3 cells of the inverse temp term table really cold so to overcome lean out issues when the manifold is heat soaked.

I have removed that before and they tend to hunt once heat soaked or after a hot restart. From memory the V8 tune never had that fix.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Cheers I’ll have to have a look once I get a log and a squiz at my tune to see what’s going on
bf6379
cars: HZ Kingswood 304
VS Ute 304
VE SV6 3.6 SIDI
VF SS 6.2

Post by bf6379 »

Dazza92VP wrote: as for the power steering i works really well just have to wait 5-10 secs after startup and the pump fires up no issues feels a little bit heavier on the steering but nothing to complain about in my opinion.
Do you know that if you apply power to the black wire on the steering pump first, and then to the blue/white wire a couple of seconds later then the pump comes up to full pressure immediately?

I am going to power the black wire directly from ignition feed and the blue/white wire from a flex output (via a relay). Flex output will be set to be active only when engine is running. That should be enough delay.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Didn’t know that didn’t even try it to be honest but doesn’t bother me to much it’s only at initial start up then it come up fine I have it activate off the excite/warning light wire on the alternator as a trigger
bf6379
cars: HZ Kingswood 304
VS Ute 304
VE SV6 3.6 SIDI
VF SS 6.2

Post by bf6379 »

Dazza92VP wrote:Didn’t know that didn’t even try it to be honest but doesn’t bother me to much it’s only at initial start up then it come up fine I have it activate off the excite/warning light wire on the alternator as a trigger
I have put a video on YouTube to show the difference https://youtu.be/EP6HPe4OKQc