cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vp Wagon

Post by vlad01 »

unc or unf?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Actually I just pulled it out to have a look and it looks like it’s a m10x20mm 1.5 thread I’ll take it to work and measure it up exactly tomorrow and that also needs a spring washer on it as well
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I got new bolts I made, except they are M10 x 18 x 1.25 class 10.9 as per original specs.

So they are course thread then?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Yea looks like it but I’ll measure them up tomorrow when I get to work so I have exact pitch for you rather than guessing
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

been a while since ive made and update but finally finished building the rebuild and fitting it all nothing special with the engine internally just new rings bearings and gaskets and just ran the hone down her to knock off the glazing but and had to go to the larger chamber vn heads instead of the vt/vs s3 heads as mine needed a bit more work got to find time to finish the port job. only other things i had done was astra power steering and the electric water pump and was all running fine untill last week i noticed the voltage was starting to die a bit the alternator wasnt keeping up so decided to fit the vs s3 alternator to it and now the voltage is ok charging at 13.6v under full load everything running but when i fitted the new alternator the solid state relay controlling the water pump shat the bed and shorted through so its always on so replaced that and it did it again this morning on the way to work its rate at 100amp @ 30 on load side and 28m amp @ 4-30v
the water pump is only 15amp max draw so i dont know whats going on there any ideas? but when its all running it keeps nice and cool temps drop from 92c to 86-87 easy with the BF thermo fan cooling it and temps can even get down to 82c while cruising along easy. im wondering if i should go back to using a thermostat and just use a mechanical relay and just set it on just below thermostat but would really like continue with controlling the pump speed with the flex output on the 808. as for the power steering i works really well just have to wait 5-10 secs after startup and the pump fires up no issues feels a little bit heavier on the steering but nothing to complain about in my opinion. only other issue im having at the moment it trying to sort out the hunting issue at while hot

other project at the moment is one of my mates at work is building his vs s3 statesman just pulled the engine fitted new cam roller rockers and the new yellaterra whipple 2.9l blower i think he also got a th400 to go behind it so should be a nice bit of kit once its done ill throw up some pics of it later
Attachments
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4426.jpg
IMG_4209.jpg
IMG_4153.jpg
IMG_3924.jpg
IMG_3922.jpg
IMG_3920.jpg
IMG_3919.jpg
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Do you know if the solid state relay has a bypass diode built in? it could be the back EMF from when the pump is switched off that's killing the relay.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

Don’t know didn’t think of the back emf its on of these from jaycar
https://www.jaycar.com.au/solid-state-r ... g/p/SY4086
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

States on that page "Note: Inductive loads must have diode suppression (Refer data sheet wiring diagram)"

That's probably it. It's odd it doesn't have it, most normal relays even have diodes built in.
Dazza92VP

Post by Dazza92VP »

I did see that but then it also states good for dc motor application so I would have thought it was ready to go?