Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gareth

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Gareth »

WHY THE FUCK IS THAT CAR OUTSIDE ANYWAY?!
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

No room?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Found a level 2 cluster in Tas for a good price. Going to build a good one out of that and my mint level 1 cluster, and do the odometer gears at the same time.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Picked up a heap of bits from my local guy. I think the cluster is waiting at the post office too.

Decided I might leave the valve train alone and just replace the springs with new stock ones as I am sure they will be a bit soft after 28 years. Was going to put a stage one cam in but worked out that VN S1 had stiffer dual springs and crow cams have little to choose from, either stock 80lb or the next one is 115lb which will probably break the chain and I don't want to pull the whole engine apart for balancing after balance shaft delete for double row chain, defeats the purpose of a bit of a tidy up/refresh. If I was going to do that I would upgrade everything but then it's not much of a daily driver then.

IMG_3245.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Tomorrow's job. Build a good cluster out of this and my level 1.

IMG_3276.JPG
IMG_3277.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

A lot of stuffing around. I moved my speedo over to the donor with the level 2 backplane and gauges. Replaced the odometer gears as there were cactus... Speedo doesn't work :lol:

So I modified my original backplane, drilled the level 2 provisions and sanded down the insulating coating. Cleaned everything so it was dust free and polished the front lens.

Tested and it worked finally.

Glued the mounting tabs back on and they broke as soon as I tighten the screws again as they were super tight. So re-glued again and this time I drilled out the plastic clips so the screws were loose and didn't spread the clips too much but enough to hold the cluster in.

Out with the old.
IMG_3283.JPG

Mod my level 1 backplane to a level 2.
IMG_3294.JPG

Old odo gear.
IMG_3287.JPG

Test of speedo/odo.
IMG_3296.JPG

Mount clip mod.
IMG_3292.JPG

Competed.
IMG_3297.JPG
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Coulda lined the numbers up properly :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

That's normal when there is multiple numbers rolling over Anyway, going to get 123456 real soon. :lol:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Now that I have been using the car more than it has been used in the last 4 years the previous owner had it the central locking is starting to play up.

The first thing I noted is the inner front handles don't return when the car is warm. Also 3 of 4 door locks were not going down or up properly when warm as well. The rear left door now doesn't go up or down at all, but I can see it's trying.

The front doors manually locked and unlocked is very stiff and the key is impossible to turn. Manually operated the rear left seems really easy and smooth. Rear right works perfect so no need to do anything there.

So I have concluded the rear left has a weak actuator. Rest of the actuators seem healthy. Both front lock/catch mechanisms are jamming up/too stiff to operate.

I have been scouring the net and all the wreckers and yards I know and came up empty handed for the driver door. But managed to find the other 2 door locks in Bendigo ( 90% of the locks were already raided there too)

So I cleaned and re-greased the fuck out of the 2 I got and they operate flawlessly by hand, it's a matter of fitting them and testing. I will replace the rear actuator, so I bought 3 NOS ones off ebay. I should only need the one. The other 2 will go to making a full set of 4 spare while I can with the other 2 NOS ones I have in the shed I bought some 8-10 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26517953988 ... Swk~Bg0FmH
IMG_3351.JPG

Also I found these goodies so I immediately bought 2 sets of both. :lol: It's about bloody time someone started making these.

https://globaltrim.com.au/collections/h ... -vq-vg-gmh

https://globaltrim.com.au/collections/h ... -vs-vq-gmh

So if anyone has a good working VP or VR driver door lock mechanism please let me know. I am desperate to find one as this door is the worst, have to open it manually from the inside via the rear door. :thumbdown:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Got the front left door done.

Someone had been in there before, access holes cut in the membrane and taped over with silver tape and pretty shitty job at that.

IMG_3356.JPG

Lock ready with original anti tamper cover and actuator transferred over.

IMG_3357.JPG

Tested the key barrel and it's really easy and smooth now.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O8Ot6Ajqp4[/youtube]

As there was someone there already there were parts missing so lucky I had spares in stock :thumbup:

IMG_3360.JPG

Membrane tapped up properly and ready for the trims to go back on.

IMG_3359.JPG

Done and working good. 1 down and 2 too go. Waiting for those actuators and still trying to find a driver door lock :thumbdown:

IMG_3361.JPG