vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Got the rear/left working. Just need to leave all the trims off until I know for sure they all work.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgc94PAhgPo[/youtube]
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Removed the old window. Found all this glass in the bottom.

IMG_3425.JPG

I am guessing the replacement glass came blank and the old rails were glued on.

They were all over the shop, no wonder it was getting caught and clunking.
IMG_3427.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG

Then I remove the front left lock again to fit the missing rubber stopper. Pointed out by the screwdriver.

IMG_3429.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG

Was pretty confident the rear and front left are good now so I taped up the membrane, but just in case I am leaving the trim off for a few days to test them.

IMG_3431.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

IMG_3432.JPG

I found this dent on the drip mould. I assume this is how the glass got broken in the first place? :think:

I also tuned the transmitter in the remote as it was only working inside the car and not any more than a meter from it. Now it works at least 20m away :thumbup:

I found a good used remote case in the shed and the shitbox has a good one so I purchased replacement buttons for them off ebay as they are rock hard. Shame you can't get new cases for them anymore.

IMG_3433.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Finished off the 2 left doors.
IMG_3439.JPG
Decided to open the rear right door and found the same BS as the rear left. :roll:

Now I have to find another genuine actuator plug with wires. Also the rubber stopper was also missing on this one so need to find one of them too.
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG

They butchered the door trim clips. One was torn off and missing, that is the receptacle on the trim itself that is glued on. Lucky I had about a dozen of those I could glue on.

IMG_3441.JPG

All the red pins were the ones I had to replace, either missing or broken.

IMG_3442.JPG

I had issues with the tail lights, some globes are bad but need to wait for the shops to open, fuck click and collect for some globes :hmm:

So I replaced these 2 bad sockets, the rest of them were actually really good. Lucky I had a heap of NOS ones I picked up for 3 or 4 bucks each a few years ago.

IMG_3445.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Ended up pinching the actuator plug from the shitbox and fitting the working aftermarket actuator in it's place and installed the plug with cables into the white car.

Unfortunately the shitbox didn't have any rubber stoppers so have to wait until the wreckers open up again, even though regional lockdown is over the wreckers were still closed. So at least the lock/actuator is working but will re-assemble the door once I can get this rubber stopper.

With not much else to do today I decided to tackle the quarter windows. Only wanted to remove the trims and gutters to later get to the windows but ended up doing it way quicker than expected and got one side completed. :thumbup:

Some how I managed to get the trims off without break any clips let alone the whole trim. I used a trim tool very violently to get them clips to let go. No idea how they survived. :think:
IMG_3460.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG

Clearly there was dirt under the seals, if there is dirt getting in then there is no hope of keeping water out. The top side of the seal was rock hard and brittle. No wonder the boot was filling with water.

Left side was the worst, it also got 5 times as much water on that side of the boot too.
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3464.JPG

Lucky I kept the used but restored window with new much better EPDM rubber foam seal. Just needed to transfer the grey trims over. Few blobs of mastic in the right spots and it was good to go. :thumbup:

Too bad I didn't have a matching side ready. I have to clean up the other existing one and make some new seals for it.
IMG_3468.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well that is one window done. Sprayed a heap of water all down the edges and watched the inside for leaks, couldn't see any so looks like it is good.

IMG_3469.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Did a bit today and freshened up the other quarter window.

IMG_3473.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG

Put the grey moulds back on and new EPDM seal. Ready to install tomorrow.

IMG_3480.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Finished the windows.

IMG_3484.JPG

Was a pain to get the trims back in. The clips are at all different angles and you can't see or reach them to guide them in. Just have to wiggle the trim around until you feel them pop in one by one.

Getting the top trim in was hard too. I basically had to smash the clips in with a lot of force.

IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3485.JPG
A vacuum under the seats and seats in, all done with the windows, no more leaks :thumbup:
Just need to find a left gutter mould and that rubber for the rear right lock and I can chuck the car outside and check for leaking tail lights and driver lock operation when it's really cold. But none of the locks have played up since.

IMG_3486.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Commwreck reckon they have a few left grey gutters to suit VP so going there next week to get one.

I ordered a random VT lock on ebay for the rubber stopper for 20 bucks and asked the seller to make sure it's got that rubber as I let him know I was buying just for that. So soon the last door will be sorted, all other doors are complete and thoroughly tested.

With not much else I can do on it for now I decided to have a look at the electric antenna as it felt like the bottom bracket bolt was loose by the way it was swinging in an arc pattern.

Turns out I was spot on.

Not sure how it got loose though? No one could of removed it and got the nut back on without taking the ECU out which obviously never been out before. :think:

Oh and I got a new battery as the old one just shit itself. 6 years old it was and the wrong type, didn't have the bottom ledges so no way to bolt it down.

Was very happy to find the battery tray in excellent condition, a rare sight on these cars. :thumbup:

IMG_3512.JPG
IMG_3513.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Got the antenna mounting sorted.

Had to fish these rivets out of the door sill via the plug under the floor and sill drain hole. Used a magnet on the end of the wire, got one out that way, the other 2 happen to drop out of the drain hole when I tried to get them with the magnet.

If you leave them in there they roll up and down the sill when you brake/accelerate. Really annoying.

IMG_3521.JPG