cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by ralcool »

Hey vlad,

Clearing out the workshop- found a pair of rear door 'seals'
vlad_door.png
Make an offer... postage will be a bit tricky due size.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

50 bucks?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Seems fair. I'll PM some details after Bathurst....
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sweet! this will help me a lot.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Picked up my adapter plates for the exhaust mount last week from counter sinking and tapping while I have another job going at the machine shop.

Only the bolt supplier I specs M5 CS x 12mm and they gave me 8mm and I only noticed now.

But I found 2 laying around to at least test fit it.

IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0379.JPG

Sorted the upper section of the existing body mount. Cleaned off the left over spot welds and drilled holes, clean up and anti rust primer.

IMG_0381.JPG

Test fit while I get some of the correct length CS screws next time I am up in Melbourne.

Seriously happy with how this worked out. I made 3 more extras for my other cars later on.
IMG_0382.JPG

I also fitted the country pack rear bump stops to limit the travel enough to stop the rear sides of the tyres hitting the guards and they turned out to be exactly the length under full bottom out compression of the bump stop, the tyre just should stop in time. The length is just that, stop it just short but allows the max travel the tyres would otherwise impose without loosing unnecessary travel. There is about 90mm of travel atm, probably 80-85 once the car in done with a little more weight being added.

And yes, they were an absolute cunt to install. Had to use the weight of the car to push them in by packing under it and the axle and a screwdriver to get the rubber started in the slots under weight, and grease on it too. I tried by hand for 30min and ended up delaminating my nails of my fingers some just by pushing on the bump stop that hard. At least I know how to next time, not by hand :wall:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Had lots of trouble getting the technique of laying down the custom flat/satin black die down but finally got it down pat to get the finish I wanted.

IMG_0390.JPG

Turned out damn good I must say. Better than the $480 asking price for a NOS black vent lol.

IMG_0391.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Got to do some moulds. Only one side so far.

Fresh from straightening out in the sun in this alloy angle section. Applying my very own double sided to spec tape.

IMG_0398.JPG

Looks fantastic! :thumbup:

IMG_0399.JPG
IMG_0400.JPG

I got it all level and straight with this magnetic padded straight edge I made for this job.

IMG_0401.JPG

Although the early lower shifter boots are made from a superior rubber compared to the late one piece type which they always perish. The early ones don't hold on to the plate lip all that good and tend to pop back off.

So I sikaflex'd that in too while I was doing the moulds. Had to put some weights around and tape some spots to stop the rubber popping off before it dries. Should of done it before I riveted the plate in in hindsight. At least I would not of needed weights and been so awkward to do, but it worked out anyway. Always the next car for improvement :shh:

IMG_0402.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

More of the same.

IMG_0405.JPG

I split and splay the backing in the middle and apply from middle out. This works best and if/when the backing snaps you can save it by then moving outwards in. Start from one end to the other and if it breaks then you are in trouble.
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG

Very nice!

IMG_0409.JPG

Had fun trying to get the intermediate shifter boot tucked into the lip of the lower one. Because of the solid mount still not quite the right height the shifter is a little offset to the right and made it very hard to get in there with pick hooks and a like to tuck under and roll over the lip on to it.

But got it in the end.

IMG_0403.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've ordered some A0 sized graph paper from the local art shop so I can plot out the main coordinates for the door membrane seals so I can recreate them accurately on the PC. Then I will cut a bunch from clear poly sheet at a mate's work, an old customer of mine that has one of the cnc cutters I installed for him.

Been a bit slow as I'm waiting still for stuff to be painted mainly. Some zinc plated parts are ready that I had to replate, I forgot them in a bag and they rusted up over winter worse than they were before plating. Just the seat belt bolts and spacers and a couple of screws. Just getting into the habit of spaying every metal part/fasteners I get with rem oil now.

Seat covers are almost done and should be ready in a week or 2.

Still no word from the machine shop on my lumbar adjuster support blocks but not too much of a hurry as the seat covers are needed first anyway.

Well looks like I will be missing next years show at the marsh with the bumpers and trim paint being so delayed. :thumbdown:
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Remember the time you brought your Dualis to the car show?.... ;)
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...