vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I had a look, its almost as if the chassis was made for a mirror bar/body mount, so a watts like is doable. Just thinking you could even use a falcon diff cover as it already had a watts link mounting point.

Hmmm so many good ideas. Definitely will consider on the next project since that one will be a few levels above this one.

I will have to study you car G and see how the setup mounts up.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

With those XF brake pads and the extra surface area. How's that compare to the "police spec' VT pads that have brake material over the full width?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

No Ideal, I recall XF having tiny pads also equivalent non existent brake performance. We had an XF about 15 years ago, also the ute XF in the last 2-3 years that was sent to scrap the brakes were always shit on them, only recall EF-EL getting decent performace.

I think he is refering XF vs VB-VS pads ? but even the E series falcon wasn't much bigger than the VN pad, VY over all of those is like 2x the area. I once seen the cheapo VT pads with 50% less pad vs the backing but honestly only see one like that once, all other pads I have seen are the full material pad.

Actually, yeah according to these pics, VT ones are way larger.

http://planetsoarer.com/ford/brakes/index.htm
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

db1085.jpg
db1085.jpg (20.09 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
db1075.jpg
db1075.jpg (5.46 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
No real difference, maybe a fraction more on the bottom bit but nothing worth the effort.

VT pads are around 185mm wide. You are right on the police spec pads, seems bendix make a much smaller standard pad, where other brands generally fill out the pad like the official police spec ones, probably because it more cost effective to make one SKU that does both types.

So must be that I have come across the larger of the 2 more often.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Got nearly the rest sorted yesterday.

Polished off the e coat off the mountings on the rear calipers, I had done the same on the front. This is so it gets the correct clamping friction to hold it in place and not turn the bolts into sheer load carriers. The e coat is slippery as hell even though it's very thin.

I think the improvement here for the next car will be to blast all the parts as to be e-coated but parts like this will be assembled with the old bolts and to torque specs and e-coated all together, so it save me having to do this and will ensure clamped areas will remain free of coating including under the bolt head and threads too and will look a lot more professional.

Not to mention when the coating is done as well as transporting the parts, there is a lot less handing and separate packing required.

IMG_0139.JPG

Calipers and hoses done and sway bar done, handbrake shoes adjusted, cable partially adjusted. Still needs oil and brakes to be bled. That's Saturday's job I think.

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

Picked up the H series exhaust mount bracket/hanger from the local mech today. Need to design some adapter to make it work, I am now certain i have to drill out the spot welds of the existing hanger hooks and then make a plate to take the wider H series mount and bolt up to the remaining narrower VP one. Going to be a bit tricky as the outer part is very close to the body and might not allow a flush mounting so it might have to be chamfered and made from a 8-10mm plate to get the lower face width wide enough.

Might have to go to pick a part and get one to experiment and measure from before the grinder comes out on my car.

IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG

If only I could mount it here, that would be too easy! nope, way too low to allow exist from the bumper cut out. :wall:

IMG_0145.JPG
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:No Ideal, I recall XF having tiny pads also equivalent non existent brake performance. We had an XF about 15 years ago, also the ute XF in the last 2-3 years that was sent to scrap the brakes were always shit on them, only recall EF-EL getting decent performace.

I think he is refering XF vs VB-VS pads ? but even the E series falcon wasn't much bigger than the VN pad, VY over all of those is like 2x the area. I once seen the cheapo VT pads with 50% less pad vs the backing but honestly only see one like that once, all other pads I have seen are the full material pad.

Actually, yeah according to these pics, VT ones are way larger.

http://planetsoarer.com/ford/brakes/index.htm
OK i think pics might help here. I dont want to go too far off topic but try these. There is a big difference, while you look at the catalogue and yes it seems not much change, look at these.

Large pad VT , XF pad, VB-S police pack pad. as you can see even the xf pad is large over the police pack vs pad. the bonus on the XF pads is that there is a huge support for different compounds than that in the commodore range. The VT-VZ caliper is crap, there is just no way of putting it, purely crap, flexes leaks and does not wear the pad right. (sure your mum and pop vt-vz slaveodore will not have a problem, but push the caliper and the early girl calipers are much better. I am actually working on putting VE calipers onto the VL, and once this has happened I will be able to do it for my mates VT and my VY. then we will see brake performance. I just cannot justify the alcon caliper price and the $450 per set of pads. The Xf pad in this shot is crumbling, but keep this in mind, Winton, 48 degree day, 60 track temp, 65 cabin temp and no duct work to the calipers. They did awesome for a trackable pad. This was after 89 laps. I was not taking it easy either.
VT large pad,  XF pad, VS police pack
VT large pad, XF pad, VS police pack
XF pad vs VS police pack
XF pad vs VS police pack
XF pad in caliper
XF pad in caliper
Let me just put this in perspective. I have helped build an identical VL commodore to might from a suspension setup etc. He has VT fronts I still run the v8 VL calipers (ie 290mm rotors) under hard braking I will out brake him. and I can compress the 12kg springs int he front by 80mm (at the front lip of the Walkingshaw bar).

Just for further information. The standard pad is identical whether using a VN v6/early 6cylinder caliper and rotor (260mm ish) or 290mm rotor. The XF pad will not fit with a 260mm rotor as it is too big. so yes hangs out fo the bottom of the caliper towards the centre of the rotor.

Hope this helps.

cheers
oldn

PS: I hope people appreciate this, A this has just taken me 35minutes to compile, B I had to go to the shed (it was raining), C I had to find all of my pads. Please excuse the rotor shot, my car has not been out since labour day weekend.

cheers
oldn64
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:Just thinking you could even use a falcon diff cover as it already had a watts link mounting point.

Hmmm so many good ideas. Definitely will consider on the next project since that one will be a few levels above this one.
While in theory this is a great idea Vlad, I would suggest that you forget about it, The falcon guys hate this setup. Firstly Ford could not get the panhard rod to work so cam up with this crazy design instead. Secondly the Falcon guys complain often about these cracking due to the strain and leaking the oil out thus destroying the diff :(.

If anything the only benefit you will get from the falcon covers is the cooling as these are not a pressed tin but an alloy cover and dissipate heat well. I have been looking for a non cracked one but as I need to rebuild my diff I have not bothered yet.

I do not understand why you need to re-engineer the exhuast hangers, what is wrong with the factory ones?

cheers
oldn64
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I do not understand why you need to re-engineer the exhuast hangers, what is wrong with the factory ones?
:lol: here we go...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

Biggvl wrote:
:lol: here we go...
I get the feeling with that response I should be putting a flame suit on????????

Most exhaust shops have no idea how to make them work. I have never had a problem with mine, even in my VK which had twin 2.5" pipes. It just worked.

Cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Answer. I paid a shit ton of money and searched almost daily for 4 years to track down new rear bumper and there is no way I am letting the rear mounts fall off to melt the bumper. Super common issue on the VN-VS, the mounts are garbage.