vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Just in the process of picking a rather uncommon NOS set of borg 3.73 diff gears for not a bad price of $600. Some guy had them on a NOS group I'm on fb and happen to be the ratio I was looking for.

I have all my drive line ratios/specs worked out and tyre sizes based on what's available for 16" walky rims.

gears for the t5 will be the PPG saloon gear set. It sure has a much better spread than stock that's for sure.

Btw does anyone know of any mechanical roller lifters with fully shrouded roller than works with v6? All of the ones I'm finding are uncovered and I have no idea how they would work in any engine without bleeding the oil pressure. :?:
gear ratios.PNG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

What program are you using for the gear calcs?
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i dont understand how an un-shrouded roll would bleed oil pressure ? unless its the wrong length to suit the lifter bore ?

i would expect that at full lift it shouldn't expose the roller, are you meaning at high lift it is getting into the lifter oil gallery a bit ?

funnily enough i found this on google https://www.performanceboats.com/gn7-dy ... ost1624833
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Are 3.73 gears m75 or m78 or whatever it is to suit 6cyl vt irs?

Was told some modding required like larger 22mm nut on longer shaft & some housings might need some clearancing but yet to find someone 100% especially now that they're NLA & priced sky high now
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:i dont understand how an un-shrouded roll would bleed oil pressure ? unless its the wrong length to suit the lifter bore ?

i would expect that at full lift it shouldn't expose the roller, are you meaning at high lift it is getting into the lifter oil gallery a bit ?

funnily enough i found this on google https://www.performanceboats.com/gn7-dy ... ost1624833

The oil gallery is low down on the lifter bore, right over where the shroud is so not having one the oil just pisses straight out the galley as it's uncovered.

Problem is you have get hydro roller lifters that suit with full shroud but I have not seen any mechanical ones that do. Looking more and more like I will have to have a custom version made.

I am looking at have these customized as the base forging is fully shrouded but they cut some of it away. Although it looks like it might work I measured from the pic that the cut away area is only a few single mm away from the galley in this case at full lift as well and at no lift the top of the "collar" part is also a bit too high and might not let the oil into the turned down area. I really need it to be based on the dimensions of the OEM lifter to work, but be link bar and mechanical.

https://www.johnsonlifters.com/Products ... 116SB.aspx

I'm thinking about getting one pare of them to be sure if it will work or not and note the changes either way for custom ones. One option is maybe even get the cam deliberately ground with a smaller base circle than it will already would have to drop the lifter down, it will fixed both cut away and raised collar issue but not sure on reducing the base circle by say 6mm diameter is a good idea.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

gtrboyy wrote:Are 3.73 gears m75 or m78 or whatever it is to suit 6cyl vt irs?

Was told some modding required like larger 22mm nut on longer shaft & some housings might need some clearancing but yet to find someone 100% especially now that they're NLA & priced sky high now

It's an M75 gear set so all good for the VP, drop in basically. Some guy chimed in and reckons they are cortina. I'd say that's about right, I've heard 3.73 M75 for fords and skylines but not in holdens. Come to think of it I think my 3.23 in the red car came out of a ford too, also a ratio I had not seen in holden M75.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

HSV released a very limited run VP model which I believe had 3.23 gears. Holden really did drop the ball running 3.08 gears in everything.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

3.23 was also factory in all Vk 6 cylinder from 1985 when they fitted the borg Warner.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Johnson should make there same ls7 lifter in a solid or get someone to turn you up 12 solid plugs to fit in the stockers and drop the top seat on top of it and clip the retainer ring back in that's how we used to make solids years ago lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem