Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gareth

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by Gareth »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

HQ355 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:yeah I needed a heavier more robust balancer to deal with the increases RPM and abuse.

Its SFI 18.1 ? race spec and cost a bomb. They could of put better paint on it but of course it was shit and ended up rusting after a few months.
Of course ! What the fuck were they thinking lmfao
They could of done it like the Ross Tuff bond balancers, they are finished nice as, but if their fucking site or catalog would of listed V6 balancers that would of been too easy. Only found out they made one through a single ebay listing and even the part number on the balancer doesn't exist on their listing. So they make ghost invisible balancers apparently. :roll:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I had the same balancer on my VN. I had replaced all engine and trans mounts etc and still some weird vibrations, I had also removed the balance shaft, no difference. Fitted the powerbond balancer and it ran smoother than when it was stock standard :)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Did you have the rotating mass re-balanced to suit?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Nope, just banged the bastard on and went hard. Powerbond did specific balancers for the various V6 engines back in the day which they no longer do.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They still do, that's how I got mine. There was 3 or 4 different ones for the Buick alone. I recall they listed as Buick or Pontiac or similar while the ecotec ones were listed as Holden.

They def need to be balanced with the rotating assembly. On my engine the race balancer was spot on and required nothing to be done when the assembly was balanced to the conventional 50%.

On my VR the OEM powerbond was stupidly out, requiring about 100g to be drilled out one side to match the original factory balance.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Actually under Holden. I think I was looking at the international catalog last time?

I use the VR one for all Buick as they have a much better CAS design than earlier engines.

Lots of choice for ecotec :thumbup:
balancers.PNG
balancers.PNG (54.01 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
immortality

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:They still do, that's how I got mine. There was 3 or 4 different ones for the Buick alone. I recall they listed as Buick or Pontiac or similar while the ecotec ones were listed as Holden.

They def need to be balanced with the rotating assembly. On my engine the race balancer was spot on and required nothing to be done when the assembly was balanced to the conventional 50%.

On my VR the OEM powerbond was stupidly out, requiring about 100g to be drilled out one side to match the original factory balance.
I had to get a specific one because it was the original series one engine which has a slightly different style balancer fit to later which are pressed on type. Gotta back sure that bolt is done up tight on those bastards.

Either way, the engine ran much better. I want one for our L67 but they are horrendously expensive here if you can find someone that stocks it and if I end up shipping one over from Aussie NZ customs will end up billing me another $130 or so on the price because of our stupid GST laws :(
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Not sure about LN3 but the later ones are also press fit. Dayco specify on their installation spec sheet what the min interference tolerance has to be. All Buick from LN3 to late L27 specify the balancer bolt to be torqued from 270 to 325Nm which is a fucking lot! Pipe on breaker bar and body weight amount. Or if you do it like me as I'm not heavy enough, dead lift the torque wrench while someone holds the engine stand so it doesn't flip over lol
Last edited by vlad01 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Btw this is the only listing of a Ross balancer to suit late Buick in existence. Its not listed anywhere but here and the unique part number supports that it must be for late Buick as its different to the also non listed but somewhat easier to find ecotec one. Ross's website and catalog is complete bs! just like most Australian businesses.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ROSS-Metal- ... 1438.l2649