vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone know if the stall saver might be useful in the case of rpm dropping too low attempting to go into idle mode after aggressive gear down or blipping the throttle on heel/toe gear down?

The VR seems to like to stall a lot after either condition after idle transition or lack of it after those to scenarios. I think it something to do with very fast and hard vacuum transitions from higher rpm/load states and the transition to idle being too slow to catch the engine.

I am thinking of adjusting the stall saver rpm threshold from 350 to something like 450-500 rpm and maybe the . Also what is the stall saver spark bypass flag for?

It's perfectly fine if I allow the car to roll in 1st for about a few sec before pulling in to N or pushing in the clutch, but if I go to N or clutch is immediately after hard gear down or blipping the throttle just as going from 2-1 while still rolling to a stop it can stall randomly, if it doesn't it will chug at 0 rpm indicated on the tacho for about 2-3 sec and then recover it self just fine.

Another thing I ask as I have never tried it, can you emulate on 12P without an NVRAM? I would like to test setting before attempting to take the ECU out for re-burning of the prom.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Is the ecu seeing speed the only time I've had issues like this is conversions with no vss down shifting coming up to lights and then clutching in at the last minute and the iac not being able to move fast enough
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yes VSS is there, this is a known issue on the stock VN/VP tunes from factory. 12P is a lot better in this regards, as in it rarely happens but sometimes it does depending on the engine config. On the VN/VP tunes they were so bad they almost always stalled on sudden acceleration as well, I think that was BAAM or AWUY that had the factory stalling.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Baan will be vp manual Baam was auto .I've never had any factory cars and tunes with stalling issues
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

If they ever have a stalling problem it would of been the first initial production release tunes that were soon remedied with subsequent tune updates
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

It was AWUY in my nephews car and I recall my vacationer had BAAM which also stalled when it was an auto, using an alternative auto tune or 12P fixed those cars straight away.

As for the VR tune, its the same base use I used in my vactioner and the current tune in my nephew's car, it works perfect. I never noticed it in my VR until I started using it as a daily driver as of late and noticed it would do this when gearing down harder than I did before. The only difference I can think of is the single hole injectors on the VR perhaps and maybe there might be a manifold fuel thing going on where hard gear downs or sharp blips take all the manifold fuel off the walls that it was tuned to accommodate in the first place.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Out with the old diff and suspension bits.

IMG_0104.JPG

Spartan 2 controller all done.

IMG_0105.JPG

I had to transfer the plastic cotton reel holders from the old handbrake cable, only way was to slice them down the middle, put them over the new cable and glue them where I cut. Seemed to work well. Th reels clip into saddles under the floor pan.

The paper was to stop getting glue all over the cables.

IMG_0107.JPG

While installing the new diff and suspension stuff. I couldn't get the bushes in for the dogleg style adjustable panhard bar. So I came up with this idea to compress the outer lip small enough to push though the housing.

Not the best but it did help a lot when I pressed them in on the hydr press.

IMG_0124.JPG

After it was in I could pull the cup off by hand with help of a rag to grip, was pretty slippery with the grease to aid pressing it in.

IMG_0122.JPG

So all the main parts in, all bolts torqued to spec.

IMG_0136.JPG
Last edited by vlad01 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Remaining bits to do are the rear brakes including handbrake. Also the rear sway bar and the rear is done ready for wheels. Oh and to fill the diff with oil too. Can't forget that can we! :lol:

IMG_0135.JPG

Did the tailshaft to diff connection. Those ARP bolt/nut choices worked out awesome. I put a little moly grease under the nut flange face and bit of red loctite on the threads. I don't know what torque I did them up to, but as fucking tight as I could.

No way you can come close to stretching or breaking them, they are that strong they only turn about 1/5th of a turn at full effort after full contact, with 2 spanners it won't turn them anymore lol

IMG_0127.JPG
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:
IMG_0135.JPG
Vlad if you want this thing to really handle drill the bolt hole for the panhard rod up a little so that it still goes through the two piece of steel. This will raise the roll centre in the rear and with an adjustable panhard rod will set the diff int eh centre again. Makes a huge difference.

Will need a right angle drill to do it through as it gets tight in there. Make sure tere is at least three mm of double steel around the bolt shank to stop it from stretching the bracket. All my ealry gril commodores i did this mod too and to this day people could not undertand why my car handled so much better than theirs. hehehe old commodore cup trick.

Cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Too late now. I never had handling issues with the rear on these unless the bushes were no existent.