vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Thought I could see some dust in a few of your pics, but turns out it was on my monitor :lol:

Car is looking clean as, is this going to be a driver?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Monthly warrior probably.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Bolts and rotors are now at ACS for the delta coating. Should be done in few weeks.

Picked up my PS rack, all reco'd and looking nice.

Picked up another NOS set of axles from Eagles for the VP S to put away while I can still get them. 60 bucks each as I got a discount :thumbup:

clutch, handbrake and accelerator cables all made, will be sent out soon.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Some updates.

Finally got the EPDM foam seal. I got 4m of 48mm wide this time so I had plenty in case I fucked up as I needed to cut a 6mm wide strip while its 6mm thick so its a bit hard holding it, but this time its 48mm wide so much easier than the 12mm strip I got last time.

Turned out great!

IMG_2435.JPG

Some butyl mastic on the gap as factory.

IMG_2436.JPG

Fitted and looking NOS even though its a Vlad's special restored original and not actually NOS. :thumbup:

IMG_2437.JPG

Some NOS stuff isn't good though. As with this tail light, so brittle and weak I barley got them nipped up and all the posts broke, the already slightly cracked used one fared a little better but also broke. I was even able to crumble the plastic with my finger nails lol.

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

I also got a cover for the car to keep spiders off mainly as their shit eats paint like paint stripper, have already had to re-cit and polish a few areas they shat on. Bonus is it keeps the dust off too :lol:

IMG_2452.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Fitted the charcoal canister. I put a strip of EPDM to stop vibration from fretting through the paint.

IMG_2459.JPG

Lucky I found another canister in my parts boxes as all the other ones I had were eaten by battery acid and had deep ulcer like craters all over the side facing the battery. Gave it a wash and polish, fitted the e-coated bracket and zinc plated spring and looks mint now!

IMG_2460.JPG

On Tuesday I had the castle looking place install the rear screen with my used but mint seal I salvaged off a VR at wrecking yard. Came up good, though I need to get the glass polished as there is several light scratched and marks. Turns out the guy told me where to buy the tools and powder to do it from a place in Bendigo. The compound is cerium oxide powder. Will practice on a spare glass before I try as its fairly easy to over heat the glass and crack it I was told.

IMG_2461.JPG

My cables arrived the other day from Auto cables, now known as retro spares and wow what a fantastic job.

2 sets of hand brake, 2 sets of clutch, and one accelerator as they need the original accelerator cable to rebuilt from due to not having the firewall end parts, I only supplied the one.

IMG_2462.JPG

Got a lot more done in the engine bay. Got all the wiring in place except the engine harness obviously and haven't done the hole through the firewall for the cruise yet as I need to get a new climate control unit when I replace the dash. Turns out some dick fucked around when changing the heater core and ripped some of the studs clean out of the climate unit housing leaving big holes.

Off to pick a part for that one. So once I have that it will all come out and then I can punch the hole in the firewall while its all out to make it much easier.

IMG_2464.JPG

My aftermarket tail lights arrived. They don't suffer the same issue of the housing plastic and posts breaking, not quite a good fit as the posts are a little short on them but can be compensated for with some plastic spacers/washers if you really want to but the seal keeps the light to the body tight enough anyway. There is a little trimming needed on the right side light as the top lip will dig into the seal sealer strip on the rear quarter, its actually more of the issue with the VN/VP tail light panel being out of whack on both sides from factory, left side the light kicks out by 5mm+ while on the right side it sits in too far where the lips around the lenses are almost in contact which they do in case of aftermarket.

The nice thing is the seals on the aftermarket are heaps better, the housing plastic and stub/post constructions is a million times better, the lens colour and design is practically spot on and one of the best things is they don't fucking leak! Only down sides is what I mentioned, posts are a little short and top lens lip is a little longer. only minors really.

They are cheap as too. I paid about 80 for the pair.

IMG_2468.JPG
Last edited by vlad01 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Then it was on to the brake calipers.

I got them blasted along with the last lot of stuff to be e-coated.

Did a final wash and masked all the areas I didn't want painted.

IMG_2466.JPG

Painted in good old rust bullet. Love this stuff so much! :punk: Came up awesome as always.

IMG_2467.JPG

Gave the the bores a polish with fine steel wool to remove the oxidation and crap and have them a final clean along with the new pistons.

IMG_2469.JPG

And final assembly. Mounted the anchor brackets and new screws. Then did the final toque of them when I took them to the shed at 30Nm

They truly are my best calipers I have done yet. Rust bullet for the aluminum and e-coat for the brackets. They will look like this for decades to come hopefully.

IMG_2470.JPG
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

NOS has nothing on you.
Only bloke I know who restores NOS to better than NOS.
Seriously good work mate, your attention to detail is spot on
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

ps: some tips on polishing with cerium oxide
https://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index ... ts_id=1421
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

coming along nicely!