vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Seems excessive to use that type of coating on hydraulic lifter internals.

I remember cleaning it off new equipment, could be a right PITA.

I agree, they already have a square of VCI paper in the bags.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Cleaned them all out, some were really stuck and needed soaking in solvent and needed the plunger blown out by compressed air. When putting them back it's critical to check the plunger travel as I found it possible for the return spring to get stuck on the lower ledge inside the body and limit travel to about 3-4mm.

Also my cam is being made and will be ready soon.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Gampy

Post by Gampy »

It's most likely a paraffin based product ... Soaking them in oil (a little heat helps) probably would have cleaned them right up without disassembly.
Intelligence is in the details!

It is easier not to learn bad habits, then it is to break them!

If I was here to win a popularity contest, their would be no point, so I wouldn't be here!
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Cam arrived. Entered the specs in dynosim 5 from the report card attached below. Also altered the specs to better suit the combo than what Formula Holden used. Upped the comp to 12:1 and a larger throttle body as 60mm is a bit limiting for such an engine. Back in the day they made 340hp which is confirmed by dynosim, with the changes and slightly larger cam the sim spits out 380hp which would be great if I can get that, 100hp/L would be a sweet milestone to reach. :thumbup:

In other news, I hit a roo in the shitbox at the end of my road near the housing estate out of all places as I went over a crest. There were 4 of them, 3 jumped over the road and couldn't avoid anything :thumbdown: Stripped the front end and just managed to find a bonnet after 2 days of ringing dozens of wreckers, super hard to get now. The rad support is a bit sad but like my newphew's VS it was damaged exactly the same way. So I will do the same and use his winch to pull it back out and try beat it back into shape as best as I can.
vp 1058a cam.jpg
01058A Profile Specs - Holden VP V6.pdf
(427.59 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

That cam is similar to the cam in my 202, it makes about 320hp, so 380 should be achievable, just need some good fuel.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah it should do as the V6 heads flow a lot better than the 202 ones. HSD can do the Formula spec heads and they flow about 245-250 cfm @28 which is pretty decent for the valve sizes. Stock is like 168 or something like that.

Pre-eco Buicks are pretty good when it comes to knock limits and with a cam like that. High comp should be relatively easy on 98 fuel without too much trouble. They ran 10:1 for the series so they could also sell the ACL/Mahle pistons on the shelf for consumer use since it was a Repco/ACL developed engine, they used 97 super and like 31-32º WOT timing. There is plenty in the tank for higher comp than that. I will let my engine builder work out the exact details.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Got the shitbox back on the road the other day. Some pics of the repairs.

Rad support was about 35-40mm out of whack but I got it back within 3mm using a winch and some old fashion panel beating :comp:

Turned out better than it was before.

Has new rad, headlights, indicators, grille and decent'ish bonnet.

IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0467.JPG

Bit of bashing and stretching.

IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Still need to put on the replacement badge.
IMG_0506.JPG

Also, Gareth has pulled the engine and auto out for me from the new white car and I picked up the engine to work on at home. Cheers Gareth :thumbup:
IMG_0507.JPG

Spent today removing all the sensitive parts in prep to clean the engine. Came up mint :D
Tomorrow I will be removing the manifold and rocker covers to replace springs, seals and lifters and measure up the lifter preload.

After that is done, new gaskets and then I will do the sump gaskets another day.

IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Can anyone confirm the torque specs for the older VN-VP lifter spider bolts? My book is for the later plastic retainers which have a very different bolt.

I took a guess at 18Nm ?

Did a heap of work on the engine and very happy so far. Changed the plastic retainers to the older metal dog bones and spider, new lifters in, new valve stem seals and springs and locks.

Cleaned up as much as I could any gunk and carbon build up.

Measured up the preload with the OEM pushrod and then with the adjustable one which measures closest to the 7.95" pushrods so I ordered a set. OEM ones were a little too long and varied in lengths I found.
IMG_0513.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0523.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Pushrods arrived. Not quite the length I needed as I needed ideally an in between size of 7.925". So the preload checked in a few positions was 3mm. Ideal wound be 2.5mm or just under but that should be fine.

Did the sump gasket after the top end was done.

Also cleaned out the oil filter adapter and installed the ZZP spring, plunger and spacing washer kit with new gasket. Old spring was about 1.2mm shorter.

Bores have good hone marks and the compression feels really good when turning the engine with a breaker bar, far more than the shitbox.

Almost ready to go. Just few tiny things to finish.
IMG_0538.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
RKAR6378.JPG
IMG_0549.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG