Vlad's rides thread

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
seabreeze
cars: VN Buick V6, VS Ecotec Utility, VE SSV L98 Utility

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by seabreeze »

Warms my heart to see these clean and tidy Buick engines. Good for another half million kays now.

My book gives 30-40Nm for valve lifter guide retainer.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I did it up to 25Nm with red loctite so should be ok.

Engine is ready now.

Also got the trans cooler. Completed the patch harness for the 4 wire O2, it intercepts one of the injectors to provide power and converts the standard 2 wire plug to the 4 wire one, all without any mods to the stock wiring, plug and play. :thumbup:
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone know if you can clone VN-VP remote with a universal programmable/cloning remote?

I am pretty sure the VP and VN remotes are just a fixed code 433Mhz remote so I tried to get cloning universal 433 remote but had no luck, not because it didn't copy my OG remote but the remotes on ebay are complete junk for the following reasons which prevented me from even getting to the cloning process.

1. They do not go into programing mode at all.
2. They take a non existent battery standard ( 12V but much thinner than 12V with the same length so the case can't close )
3. SMD buttons fell off spontaneously (cheap shit)

Other good brand of remotes which I know as I have used them before for business estate gates and warehouse doors aren't programmable.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

From what I have found out is all the key fobs up to and including VR can only be done by a locksmith or dealer.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes that is correct as late model (VZ) remotes are still available and work down to VR and are like any other modern key fob. However the VP and prior remotes are based on old and simple tech like the old aftermarket car alarms and use the 433 fixed code remotes like a garage door uses and locksmiths don't know anything about the VP remotes when I asked them about it.

I would be great if I can find a remote that can be used as it's hard to find even just cases with NOS cases costing 100s these days.
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

vlad01 wrote: Completed the patch harness for the 4 wire O2, it intercepts one of the injectors to provide power and converts the standard 2 wire plug to the 4 wire one, all without any mods to the stock wiring, plug and play.
Have you checked the additional volt drop at the intercepted injector connector (with the injector on) relative to any of the other injector connectors..?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

No, it's a non issue given how little current the heater takes and the fact VN-VR injector wiring is super thick, easy take 20A.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Mongoose told me the OG remotes are 303.6 Mhz fixed code and any learning remote that supports that frequency should work. They said the Jaycar ones work but I could not find such a remote on their site.

So they linked me to these ones which they have used themselves. But I am looking for others with a better keyring design and more ergonomic button design. There are a few in the UK that claim multi frequency like this. Just trying to confirm 303.6 support.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15499104895 ... 1438.l2649

I have ordered 4 VN 2 button cases from Mongoose so I can use them on my daily VPs as they fit but obviously the 2nd button not used.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I think the shitbox has a blow head gasket. Loss of power, economy and has a slight miss at idle. There is this weird dry brown powdery stuff welling up out of the rad continuously with lots of big bubbles.

No coolant loss though but a lot of the coolant gets blown out into the res so I need to re-bled it often. Can't wait to get the white car finished.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Went to go to the farm today and I was doing a few things while the car was idling and then it abruptly died. Tried to restart and it was rough as guts and needed WOT to get going again, then it died again.

The engine fan was randomly turning on and off at will and the CEL was flashing randomly. I tried diagnostic mode and got no response.

I found the fan went mental when I touched the memcal. So I setup another memcal but still got the spazing out when I touched the ECU or memcal. I replaced the ECU and it seemed fine after that.

I could not find any physical problems, no dry joints or anything like that on the dodgy ECU. Has anyone seen anything like this happen before? The only thing I can think of is maybe one of the caps has become vibration sensitive and causing issues or perhaps a faulty crystal causing the CPU to loose clock and crash from vibration. I have seen crystals become microphonic after receiving a knock. The ECU has been sitting on the floor for a few months. Maybe?

This could explain the random engine restarts mid driving the car has always had. They last for only maybe 100ms but only happen a half dozen times a year.