vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah rare spares make complete kits for them. Only I discard the felt channel they include for the channels closest to the B pillar for both rear and front doors as they lack the lip that wraps around the frame edge. The opposite side felt channels however do have the lip which is odd? So in the case of these incorrect style channels I reuse the old ones and replace everything else with the new ones in the kit.

You can still use the non lipped channel but it has less hold on the frame and looks kind of stupid. I might have to take a pic to explain better what I mean.

Kits are quite expensive too, about 60-85 each door.

Does not include the outer frame seal, the big one that wraps over the entire outside of the frame, it's all the felt rubbers that makes up the kits.

The issue of the channels dropping down or coming up and out is the fact the blob of glue on the back of the channel has ripped off and allows them to drag with the glass. So on mine I will re-fix them with a small line of sikaflex near the top. Not going to glue the lot as the back of the channel rubbers and the frame channels are designed to allow water to drain out behind the rubber and putting glue everywhere will interfere with this and allow corrosion later in life. That is the reason Holden glued them right up at the top so no water can't accumulate above the glue since it is already at the top.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

vlad01 wrote:Yeah rare spares make complete kits for them. Only I discard the felt channel they include for the channels closest to the B pillar for both rear and front doors as they lack the lip that wraps around the frame edge. The opposite side felt channels however do have the lip which is odd? So in the case of these incorrect style channels I reuse the old ones and replace everything else with the new ones in the kit.

You can still use the non lipped channel but it has less hold on the frame and looks kind of stupid. I might have to take a pic to explain better what I mean.

Does not include the outer frame seal, the big one that wraps over the entire outside of the frame, it's all the felt rubbers that makes up the kits.

The issue of the channels dropping down or coming up and out is the fact the blob of glue on the back of the channel has ripped off and allows them to drag with the glass. So on mine I will re-fix them with a small line of sikaflex near the top. Not going to glue the lot as the back of the channel rubbers and the frame channels are designed to allow water to drain out behind the rubber and putting glue everywhere will interfere with this and allow corrosion later in life. That is the reason Holden glued them right up at the top so no water can't accumulate above the glue since it is already at the top.
Great info thanks Vlad.
Yes mine have all those faults with the channels sliding up & down with the window moving. Good tip about the re-gluing & reason behind the positioning of the sikaflex.

I will make enquiries with rare spares thanks.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

OZ38 wrote:
vlad01 wrote:Yeah rare spares make complete kits for them. Only I discard the felt channel they include for the channels closest to the B pillar for both rear and front doors as they lack the lip that wraps around the frame edge. The opposite side felt channels however do have the lip which is odd? So in the case of these incorrect style channels I reuse the old ones and replace everything else with the new ones in the kit.

Great info thanks Vlad.
Yes mine have all those faults with the channels sliding up & down with the window moving. Good tip about the re-gluing & reason behind the positioning of the sikaflex.

I will make enquiries with rare spares thanks.

No probs.

here is one as an example.

https://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespare ... n-vp-vr-vs
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

i hope their moulds are good. the rubbers for the XP are garbage from RSP
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

windscreen ones for these from RS are garbage. I managed to harvest good used rears of VRs as they come out on VRs and VS not on VN/VP

Front I bought up a number of NOS ones but you can usually get them off on virgin VR/VS too. The doors I believe are mostly genuine ones with one lippless repro it looks like. They fit good
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Did some stuff.

These 2 rubbers are the ones I was referring to as reusing as they have the lip that is visible in the shot. The ones on the frame either side of the b pillar cover.

IMG_0271.JPG

The glass I got for the driver door was tinted so had to remove that shit. Tint came off like nothing, glue was tricky, petroleum based solvents did not touch it, however metho did which is weird.

IMG_0269.JPG

All the inner rubbers done. All vertical channels were glued in at the top with sikaflex as mentioned in a previous post.

IMG_0273.JPG

While I had the sika out, added a blob as factory to the badge and installed that. They do have adhesive but the blob of poly is extra security as I found out on my vacationer one day which had been replaced ones before I owned it and one day into town I saw it fly over my windscreen, never did find it on the roads or sides. It was only secured by the adhesive, blob of glue was missing as the bonnet had been repainted before.

So not loosing this one!

IMG_0270.JPG

Glass and door belts.

IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0276.JPG
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

And finally outer rubbers.

IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG

Ordered some new electric mirrors just because it's easier than to try to open my old ones. They work fine but need a good go over and they are heavily spring loaded with access to the springs very difficult so I think I will stuff the plastic tring to latch the springs back on. For 75 odd each aftermarket repros I don't think I will bother.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

thats coming up bloody awesome mate. well done
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Cheers c##t! :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Made much progress the last 2-3 days.

Decided to dig these 3d printed replacement clips out of years in storage.

Broke off the remaining clips, ground down the plastic and gave it all a good sand.

IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0286.JPG

Then I got Selly's plastic super glue and primer kit, mainly for the primer. That shit makes nearly any plastic glue together with super glue. But for plastics like this that already glue good with SGs it makes the bond many times better.

IMG_0295.JPG

Next day and a bit I spent digging out good plastic trims and prepping and repainting them to colour matched 23i code vinyl paint.

Few done here.

IMG_0302.JPG

Last item still drying.

IMG_0301.JPG