vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

Going by the pics on the net the LT lifters have a higher/longer collar on the bottom half. Hopefully not too long to completely block the oil gallery. I will take a stock V6 one with me when I go to the dealer to pick them up and compare to make sure it will work. I suspect the gallery will be clear when on base circle but might be blocked when at lift? This should still work right?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I don't think it's a great idea. A loss of oil pressure even momentarily can't be good for a hydraulic lifter.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Googling the pics of genuine ones of that part number appears they use a c clip for the axle, if thats the case I'd rather not use. Common failure point on lifters that use a clip instead of peened out axles.

The momentary loss of oil is only for the hydraulics not lubrication. They should stay pumped up during lift but yeah not ideal.

I will check them out before/if I am going to buy them. The other option is to get the Johnson 2110 drop in GM lifters but they are nearly 1K for a v8 set. I doubt the Aussie dealer would sell in sets of 12 but another dealer in the US had me customs ones made before so individual should be no issue from him.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I got the lifters from Holden. They appear mostly the same as the ZZP ones. Numbers etched on them but the font is a little different on the genuine and centered and straight and not all of them have the same numbers. Overall looks much cleaner. The stamping/peening of the axles do vary a bit on the genuine but not as bad as the ZZP ones.

Maybe the ZZP are genuine but I am still sus on that, especially the price being so low compared to discount genuine trade price.

One thing I can't work out is why I can't compress the plungers in any of them. Do I need to open and clean the protective oil out and lube them in wd 40 or something? I need full movement to measure the preload requirements.

Holden ones.
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0424.JPG
ZZP ones.
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0419.JPG
immortality

Post by immortality »

US prices are generally cheaper than what we see. ZZP also probably does a decent volume seeing as they do LS motors as well as the V6 stuff.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

They are actually cheaper at Holden than the direct GM outlets. 22 AUD vs 25 USD . RRP is 38 USD. So ZZP is selling them for 8 USD each and they have to make a profit.

Anyway I managed to replace the springs on one bank before it got dark and started pissing rain. Compared to the new springs which are basically stock specs the old ones I would say are about 30% down on pressure. I was able to compress them 1/2-2/3 between my hands but only about 1/3 with the new ones.

IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
Last edited by vlad01 on Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Bit of wear on those push rods.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

What do you mean? there is 0 wear on them when I pulled some out to look at. Even the valve guides have next to no play. When I had my 400k heads done my machine shop said they had almost no wear and reused them.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Take out the 2 end push rods, turn one over and lay them side by side with the shoulder off the push rod shafts lined up and compare the shiny side that rides in the rocker with the end that rides in the lifter next to it.

Wear on the end of the push rod has nothing to do with the valve guides, it's a roller lifter thing.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

The ends never wear on these. These are a 3 piece pushrod with pressed in polished tool steel ball ends.