1990 Geo Storm GSi Turbo

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
90base
cars: 1990 Geo Storm Turbo

Re: 1990 Geo Storm GSi Turbo

Post by 90base »

Ok, Let me make it clear what I am trying to do...for now.

I am just trying to communicate with the ECM via the ALDL port to do some basic datalogging.

I have ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-FT232RL ... 3cbfdfc861.

I hooked the wires up as to what I have read but no matter how i orient them I get that Tunerpro could not connect. There arent any ads files for my car, I dont know if that has anything to do with it but I would like to atleast get it to communicate first.

Let me know what I am doing wrong!

Thanks

Brandon
-- Brando
DD:1990 Geo Storm Turbo
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

90base wrote:Let me know what I am doing wrong!
This is the issue...
90base wrote:There arent any ads files for my car, I dont know if that has anything to do with it but I would like to atleast get it to communicate first.
You need to tell TunerPro how to communicate with the ECU and the ADX files are what do this. Without one TP wont ever communicate with the ECU.

If you can read the bin from your memcal in a programmer it might be possible to quickly see the ALDL code. Have you tried the elanscan mentioned earlier in this thread?
90base

Post by 90base »

Ahh now I see the light. So in order to start anything Ineed to acquire a chip reader and pull the bin off of the chip?

Elanscan keeps saying no reply.

Thanks ks

Brandon
-- Brando
90base

Post by 90base »

Okay got a little more progress tonight!

I made a few successful datalogs with DataMaster. It works flawlessly for datalogging! I tried to use ElanScan while it did "kinda" work, not really I actually got it to connect but the log was FULL of error messages. However the time that I did get it to connect it saw my prom id as 9969. Dont know if that helps out anything or not. Also when using the elan scan it would update the information in the software once every 30 seconds if I was lucky.

There is an option to dump Prom to .BIN in the elan software but if I try it while its logging it errors out with "data acquisition in progress" if I try it while its not logging I get the error "Five consecutive mode 2 commands". Im going to try to get with the devolper and see what that is about. I read that the errors that im seeing are from a "noisy signal" but Datamaster logs just fine using Lotus Elan M100 definition file.

I think I managed to get a .ecu file if that will help me in any way shape or form.

How can I go about getting tunerpro to log, well how do I go about getting/making an xdf?

Also how can I get you the BIN file short of pulling the chip and reading it externally?

Thanks

Brandon
-- Brando
VL400

Post by VL400 »

With Datamaster working you are halfway to having TP working if you want to try with that.

Quick check with portmon and the first command sent to the ECU is 'F4 56 01 B5'. I dont have a an ECU connected so no idea what the response is but you can easily check using either portmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96644.aspx) or grab the flashtool and send a command https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=82. In the preferences select 'OSE 12P '808' as the vehicle, 'USB ALDL' as the interface and the ECM com port. Then under the tools menu go to 'listen to chatter and send custom commands to the ECM'. Paste in 'F4,56,01,B5' and click send command.

The response should be all the data from the ECU, just need to work out each byte.

If you want to get an XDF started you need the bin, and until you know how to read it over ALDL (mode 2 that the elanscan software is using is the GM command that normally dumps data) you need a programmer.
90base

Post by 90base »

OK i have tried using the above software with again Limited Success I can get the flash tool to connect to the ecm but not pull any information off of it. Also sometimes gettign this code in the log

"Please Submit This Code For Vehicle Support: 3798ce3546ec7575fea3348e7cb28e8b"

I dont know if that helps anything or not. Also when trying to pull down the BIN I am getting received 63 bytes,expecting 64.

Thanks

Brandon
-- Brando
VL400

Post by VL400 »

As as been said before, there is no support for your ECU with any tool on here. You will need to figure things out, to do this you will need to send commands and see what the response you get, or read the bin using an EPROM programmer and start looking through it. Having the Datamaster program to log it you have a much easier task of getting logging working in TunerPro but it will still take some trial and error.

If you want to figure more, use the flashtool to send some commands...
Send 'F4,56,1,B5' and post up the response.
Send 'F4,58,2,0,0,B2' and post up the response.
90base

Post by 90base »

VL400 I really appreciate your help and THank You! for dealing with my new questions. I have somehow managed to get the ElanScan Program to pull the Bin off of the ECM.

As well as a log from the OSE Flash Tool, Which I figured out that it cant recognize which ecm I have therefore not being able to do anything with it.

I can email the BIN file or host it to a file sharing site and link to it what ever is preferred. Now that I have the BIN file what am I going to do with it? What program can read it?

Thanks Again!

Brandon
-- Brando
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Just post it in the thread here on the forums. Have you sent the commands with the flash tool? Its under commands...
Attachments
send commands.png
send commands.png (36.17 KiB) Viewed 8483 times
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400

Post by VL400 »

As for what program can read it, you need a definition file (XDF in TunerPro) but to make that you will need to search out tables (the main fuel and spark are normally easy to spot using TunerPro or use a hex editor), you or disassemble the bin (post it up and will do that for you) and then start working through the code.

If you want to know what elanscan is doing use portmon while getting a bin or logging and that can give you some more clues with what commands are being sent and what data is being returned.